PDA

View Full Version : Profile Pic of breastfeeding mum sparks outrage

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 20:36
Link with offending Pic, here (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14065706)

"I was SHOCKED to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one person wrote. "I immediately turned the magazine face down," wrote another. "Gross," said a third.

These readers weren't complaining about a sexually explicit cover, but rather one of a baby nursing, on a wholesome parenting magazine -- yet another sign that Americans are squeamish over the sight of a nursing breast, even as breast-feeding itself gains more support from the government and medical community.

Babytalk is a free magazine whose readership is overwhelmingly mothers of babies. Yet in a poll of more than 4,000 readers, a quarter of responses to the cover were negative, calling the photo -- a baby and part of a woman's breast, in profile -- inappropriate... http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/1210.gif

Is that the kind of hypocritical society the US wants the whole world to adopt ?

Tiger Jones
19-Aug-06, 20:52
"Inappropriate"? Now that's funny! [lol]

It was only a quarter of those polled, though. People will have differing views from others. It takes all sorts to make up the populace ;)

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:03
Quite pathetic really that such a natural image offends, A country like America with all its "Greatness" cannot cope with a baby getting fed

SandTiger
19-Aug-06, 21:08
'ang on, was there not uproar on hear a while back about The Naked Rambler, or is that different?

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 21:12
"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast — it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."

It's the same reason that Ash, 41, who nursed all three of her children, is cautious about breast-feeding in public — a subject of enormous debate among women, which has even spawned a new term: "lactivists," meaning those who advocate for a woman's right to nurse wherever she needs to.

"I'm totally supportive of it — I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."..............http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/rofl.gif

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:12
No uproar from me. Just the ones that have some sort of repressed sexual feelings when they see a bit of naked flesh.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:14
"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast — it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."

It's the same reason that Ash, 41, who nursed all three of her children, is cautious about breast-feeding in public — a subject of enormous debate among women, which has even spawned a new term: "lactivists," meaning those who advocate for a woman's right to nurse wherever she needs to.

"I'm totally supportive of it — I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."..............http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/rofl.gif

LOL so whose breast did her son get to see when he was a baby did she ask him if he wanted a look. ROFLMAO

SandTiger
19-Aug-06, 21:16
LOL so whose breast did her son get to see when he was a baby did she ask him if he wanted a look. ROFLMAO

I pity the husband ;)

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:18
I pity the whole country! Sounds Like George W Bush is one of the more intelligent citizens of the USA

SandTiger
19-Aug-06, 21:19
I pity the whole country! Sounds Like George W Bush is one of the more intelligent citizens of the USA
But can he breast-feed?

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:25
Well he is a right ..NO I wont say it as it would cause an admin action :eek:

katarina
19-Aug-06, 21:27

:lol: when did a man (any man) NOT want to see a breast! Hey, and do those against this totally unoffensive photo, not realise why women were given breasts in the first place?

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:31
The thing is it isnt the men complaining. It is the fact that the woman is so insecure that she cannot cope with the fact that her husband or son might glimpse another womans breast.

SandTiger
19-Aug-06, 21:31
Well he is a right ..NO I wont say it as it would cause an admin action :eek:

"right" wing basket case? :lol:

Did you mean?

katarina
19-Aug-06, 21:35
would we be thrown in jail for showing a photo of our very natural means to nourish the young human here?

pultneytooner
:lol: when did a man (any man) NOT want to see a breast! Hey, and do those against this totally unoffensive photo, not realise why women were given breasts in the first place?
Precisely, they are for feeding your offspring, sexual objects are of secondary importance.

Naefearjustbeer
"right" wing basket case? :lol:

Did you mean?

Thats it I new you would get my drift.

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 21:37
Thats it I new you would get my drift. coulda said right whinger.:D

brandy
19-Aug-06, 21:37
OK *grins* putting my two cents in AS A AMRERICAN!!
that is not the opinion of most people. not people that i know of anyway.
in my family.. breast feeding is very natural. obviously i would be reluctant to pop my boob out in front of my brothers or dad.
but generally what we always did was hold the blanket up.. or if not able to cover up so that we were exposing ourselves to obviously embarassed male family members .. we would go into another room.
most people will discretly ignore breast feeding.. and cary on the conversation going on.
its not really a big deal.
however i do understand how it can be uncomfy.. if you are in front of male family memebers.. i know my dad and brothers do not want to think of me as a woman.. exspecially a woman with bits just like their wives!
but its a fact of life they get use to.. more than not they would clear out when it came to feed the baby.. or change for that matter *laughs*
nahhh.. actually the males in my family encourage breast feeding.. its a lot cheaper that buying formula.. when you are paying about 20 dollars for a tin of formula.. and with the skinflints i grew up with thats a big plus!! *winks*

SandTiger
19-Aug-06, 21:38
Thats it I new you would get my drift.

Great minds and all that :lol:

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 21:39
in my family.. breast feeding is very natural. obviously i would be reluctant to pop my boob out in front of my brothers or dad.
but generally what we always did was hold the blanket up.. or if not able to cover up so that we were exposing ourselves to obviously embarassed male family members .. we would go into another room.
most people will discretly ignore breast feeding.. and cary on the conversation going on.
its not really a big deal.
however i do understand how it can be uncomfy.. if you are in front of male family memebers.. i know my dad and brothers do not want to think of me as a woman.. exspecially a woman with bits just like their wives!
but its a fact of life they get use to.. more than not they would clear out when it came to feed the baby.. or change for that matter *laughs*
nahhh.. actually the males in my family encourage breast feeding.. its a lot cheaper that buying formula.. when you are paying about 20 dollars for a tin of formula.. and with the skinflints i grew up with thats a big plus!! *winks*
Meanies, lol, must be some scottish blood in there?;)

Dreadnought
19-Aug-06, 21:45
I think that in order to preserve modesty and to save delicate sensibilities being damaged from seeing innappropriately exposed flesh, US mothers should wear the new young mother's modesty gown (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/OddsnSods/Burka.jpg).

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 21:46
I think that in order to preserve modesty and to save delicate sensibilities from damage, US mothers should wear the new young mother's modesty gown (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Minitar1/OddsnSods/Burka.jpg).
Wooooo, sensitive territory there pal.....http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/rofl.gif

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 21:47
I would think a lot less of a mother who did not feed the baby when it was hungry because *shock horror* a man might see. If a baby is hungry feed it. It doesnt matter if you are on the train, in a restauraunt, at home or visiting friends. Although if you were at someones house it would be polite to explain what you are planning before exposing your boob. you know just incase they hit you over the head because of puritanical attitudes. However no worrys in my house as I have never thrown a breast feeding woman out yet.

pultneytooner
19-Aug-06, 21:50
I would think a lot less of a mother who did not feed the baby when it was hungry because *shock horror* a man might see. If a baby is hungry feed it. It doesnt matter if you are on the train, in a restauraunt, at home or visiting friends. Although if you were at someones house it would be polite to explain what you are planning before exposing your boob. you know just incase they hit you over the head because of puritanical attitudes. However no worrys in my house as I have never thrown a breast feeding woman out yet.
Too true naefearjustbear, a guy that finds anything sexual in a mother nursing her baby is a psychologists playground.

Bingobabe
19-Aug-06, 22:13
There,s nothing sexual about breast feeding it,s natural and why did god give women breast mmmmmmmm Let me think!!!!! I did not breast feed because i couldnt, not because i didnt want to but must admit i am a bit of a prude i would feel a little embrassed whipping my breasts out in public, But fairplay to the women that arent embrassed wish i was a bit more like them!!!

Some people live so far back they really need a reality check!!!:confused

gleeber
19-Aug-06, 22:40
Brandy put her finger on the bell in that quote.
There are millions upon millions of people who have dificulty with breast feeding in public. I dont expect to see babys being fed in public but when I do I always seem to double take to confirm my suspicions. I think thats natural too, and then I am fortunate enough to be able to forget about it and get on with my own business. I can also understand why people complain about it, but they need to learn from it.
Ive developed a couple of wee breasties over the years. I winder if I would be called sexual if I took my shirt off. :eek:

Tugmistress
19-Aug-06, 22:45
I fed my daughters by breast for the first 6 weeks of their lives. If they were hungry, where ever i was, they got fed. I am quite lucky i suppose, my nana taught me how to use the babys blanket in conjunction with my clothes and in most cases i never got noticed, and when i did it was usually by other mothers and they used to ask how i hid it so well.
There is great knowledge in the older generation out there.

I must say i am very surprised that so many people were shocked or whatever at this image being used .... it is nature.

sassylass
19-Aug-06, 23:26
[quote=pultneytooner]Link with offending Pic, here (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14065706)

blah blah blah Yet in a poll of more than 4,000 readers, a quarter of responses to the cover were negative, calling the photo -- a baby and part of a woman's breast, in profile -- inappropriate... http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/1210.gif

blah blah blah quote]

"a quarter of 4,000 readers" hmmmmm and isn't the population of the USA something close to 300 million people? :roll: We are talking about a drop in the ocean.
Don't forget it's the zealots and weirdos who yell the loudest.

p.s. to pultneytooner, I'm just quoting you, not saying you are blahblahing. I think you brought up an interesting subject.

Dreadnought
19-Aug-06, 23:32
;"a quarter of 4,000 readers" hmmmmm and isn't the population of the USA something close to 300 million people? :roll: We are talking about a drop in the ocean.
Don't forget it's the zealots and weirdos who yell the loudest.

Not if we extrapolate that 25% to the population. Thats somewhere around 75,000,000 people who have a problem with seeing a woman breast feed her child.

DrSzin
19-Aug-06, 23:43
"a quarter of 4,000 readers" hmmmmm and isn't the population of the USA something close to 300 million people? :roll: We are talking about a drop in the ocean. Sassy! No! A quarter of 4,000 is not a drop in the ocean. If the survey was done properly then that's 25% with a statitsical error of less than 2%. That's 75 million people with a very small uncertainty.

I'm worried about this thread, seriously worried - there are 29 posts and not a dissenting voice. Is that a record?

sassylass
20-Aug-06, 00:09
ok you all know math was never my best subject....all I know is no one asked me and my pals, and WE don't find it offensive. I think nursing a baby is beautiful.

j4bberw0ck
20-Aug-06, 00:13
Weeeeeeeell, I suppose it might be possible to make a case for how much attitudes have changed (for the better?) in a famously prudish country, were similar survey results available from say 30 years ago.

Alternatively, one might run the same survey in the Muslim world and see what the results were. Saudi Arabia is not alone in employing people (all men) gripping their big, gooey, ever-ready, shiny, er, marker pens to obliterate "offensive" images. From that, I'd guess it might be possible to make a statitsical case, as referred to by the good Doctor, for how enlightened are the good people of the Yew Ess Ay :lol: .

Or, one could publish the results under a headline which declared that 75% of US citizens couldn't give a rat's posterior about pictures of breastfeeding. That's pretty neutral......

It's all in the spin, as usual. [lol]

DrSzin
20-Aug-06, 00:29
I'm glad someone noticed my booboo. It was a genuine typo - honestly! - but I thought I'd leave it uncorrected for posterity.

OMG j4bberw0ck, I've just noticed that you introduced the post... word before I did. That is genuinely scary. :eek:

j4bberw0ck
20-Aug-06, 01:08
Booboo :lol:.

Gee, if I introduced post- first maybe it should have been ante-? A rat's anterior? Hmm... p'raps not. Doesn't have quite the same, ah, ring to it http://www.teddies.be/Forum/images/smiles/icon_rofl.gif

G'night folks.

pultneytooner
20-Aug-06, 01:33
ok you all know math was never my best subject....all I know is no one asked me and my pals, and WE don't find it offensive. I think nursing a baby is beautiful.
You are totally right it is beautifuil.:D

Sporran
20-Aug-06, 08:56
Link with offending Pic, here (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14065706)

"I was SHOCKED to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one person wrote. "I immediately turned the magazine face down," wrote another. "Gross," said a third.

These readers weren't complaining about a sexually explicit cover, but rather one of a baby nursing, on a wholesome parenting magazine -- yet another sign that Americans are squeamish over the sight of a nursing breast, even as breast-feeding itself gains more support from the government and medical community.

Babytalk is a free magazine whose readership is overwhelmingly mothers of babies. Yet in a poll of more than 4,000 readers, a quarter of responses to the cover were negative, calling the photo -- a baby and part of a woman's breast, in profile -- inappropriate... http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/style_emoticons/default/1210.gif

Is that the kind of hypocritical society the US wants the whole world to adopt ?

Well some people are definitely making a hue and cry over nothing! Firstly, the breast on the cover is not gigantic - the baby's head dominates the photo. The angle of the shot is discreet enough that the breast doesn't look erotic, in my opinion.

From my own personal experience of breastfeeding in public in the USA seventeen years ago, I found that no matter how covered up I was, people still tended to stare, and I found that very disconcerting. I wore a special nursing bra so that the whole breast didn't have to be exposed, and as well as that, I had a baby blanket draped from my shoulder, hiding my whole bosom area from everyone but the baby. But that still didn't stop some people from looking, and it made me feel uncomfortable. All this at a time when pediatricians were encouraging women to breast feed, as they are today. If people are going to be like that, it's just a pity there aren't more public facilities available for women to nurse their babies in peace, when they're not at home. Occasionally, I'd come across a ladies bathroom in a shopping mall that had a small room or separate area for nursing mothers. But really, the bottom line is, breast feeding is a natural thing, and as long as the mothers are being discreet and not flaunting themselves, then people should mind their own business!

mccaugm
20-Aug-06, 15:55
Breasts were designed for two purposes both of which are entirely natural.

I breast fed 2 of my 3 children and was never hassled about it by anyone. I agree that it should be done discreetly. I was called an exhibitionist by a narrow minded family member, who I hope has since changed her opinion.

I am glad in Scotland that woman are allowed to breastfeed wherever necessary and cannot be "moved on" for doing what is best for their baby. I am not sure what the situation is in America and the rest of the UK.

Gleber2
20-Aug-06, 16:25
Put a mammary gland in a magazine, a newspaper, on TV, in a movie or in the flesh and no one bats an eyelid. Stick a baby on it and the world complains. What a crazy reality we live in.:~(

emszxr
20-Aug-06, 16:28
i breastfed my oldest for 7 months and am presently breastfeeding my 9 week old, who i hope to breastfeed for about the year.
i have no problem with breastfeeeding my baby anywhere.
we have breasts for one reason and that is to feed our children.
i have a few photos of me feeding my daughter and there is nothing at all peverse, erotic or anything else other than nursing my baby about them.

mostlyharmless
20-Aug-06, 16:52
I agree it is a beautiful thing between mother and child it somehow loses its simple innocent beauty thrust on the front of a magazine.
Was it the beautiful baby that attracts people to the front cover mmmm maybe but I doubt it .
There are many beautiful things that have become ruined because of our sensitivity to a few mindless perverts such as being banned from videoing your own child at a school play.

Even some beautiful words have become twisted because of the way we have changed there use.

Its small wonder that children are now to be taught manners at school when we give them such confused and mixed messages about what is innocent and beautiful and thrust it on the front of a magazine.

Lolabelle
21-Aug-06, 09:56
Put a mammary gland in a magazine, a newspaper, on TV, in a movie or in the flesh and no one bats an eyelid. Stick a baby on it and the world complains. What a crazy reality we live in.:~(
Fair Dinkum. Why don't people get a life, I agree with gleber2, there are boobs and much worse out there everywhere. I wonder if these same people stop their daughters wandering around with jeans so low cut that it defies imagination. Just go into any newagents in Australia and there are magazines that have every thing on show with only a sparkly star or some other ridiculous thing in the name of modesty.
Oh and I would much rather a woman flop out a boob than listen to a screaming hungry kid.

golach
21-Aug-06, 10:20
Have to agree with you there G2:confused

squidge
21-Aug-06, 10:45
I breast fed all three of my children and was very comfortable doing so wherever I was. I soon found the nicest mother and baby rooms in the towns i visited so that i could enjoy a bit of peace and quiet whilst i did so. and i also soon discovered the most comfortable cafes for feeding. I too was shown how to cover up discreetly which with boobs the size mine were was very welcome advice. At home i fed always sitting up i could never do the lying down thing some mums can do.

Breast feeding is important and it beggars beleif that mums actually found the picture unsavory. Bizarre

Gleber2
21-Aug-06, 10:56
Breast feeding is more important than most people realise. Hormones in mothers milk are essential for healthy brain development and I am firmly of the belief that a lot of the problems experienced with young people today can be traced back to infancy and the lack of these hormones. Not only that, cow's milk is fine for a baby cow but is poisonous to a human infant. Most babys have to be forced to drink cow's milk. I have been cow free for 25 years and the difference in my own health and vitality is such that I would never go back to using dairy products.
It saddens me that such a stupid attitude has been taken towards something that is naturally done by every mamal on the planet but then I am amazed at the attitude taken to the naked human form full stop.

lynne duncan
21-Aug-06, 12:17
I breast fed all my 3 and as above found that a baggy tshirt or baby blanket ensured that nobody should be offended, with the government pushing breast feeding, mothers should be supported in this choice not made to feel embarrassed.
also if you are lucky enough to be able to breast feed/ and have the time then you are saved the hastle of bottles/sterilising etc.
And this saves the menfolk from getting told to feed the baby or are men just jealous that the baby is getting the boob and not them!!

pultneytooner
21-Aug-06, 13:17
I breast fed all my 3 and as above found that a baggy tshirt or baby blanket ensured that nobody should be offended, with the government pushing breast feeding, mothers should be supported in this choice not made to feel embarrassed. also if you are lucky enough to be able to breast feed/ and have the time then you are saved the hastle of bottles/sterilising etc. And this saves the menfolk from getting told to feed the baby or are men just jealous that the baby is getting the boob and not them!! Some men do indeed get jealous of the bond formed between baby and mother when breastfeeding. link (http://www.thenorthernlight.org/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/21/43fbc2c644322)

The pregnancy and parenting books and magazines I’ve consulted state that witnessing the act of breast-feeding can cause some men to feel jealous. However, they differ on whether the man is jealous because the female is engaging in an act he cannot or because the baby is allowed unfettered access to what he wants. Either way, he’s being a jackass.

Some women to. Link (http://www.breastfeeding.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=100&Itemid=44)

In a statement during an appearance on ABC’s the view, outspoken lesbian Rosie O’Donnell confessed that she had ordered her lesbian partner to stop breastfeeding her child because of her jealousy.

the charlatans
21-Aug-06, 13:32
I'm in the middle of breastfeeding my 6 month old milk guzzler and at the start of it struggled with the modesty part. Its hard work this baby m'larky - however people surprise you when they encourage you just to feed the baby whenever, wherever. They want to see you and the baby and if you have to disapear for an hour at a time (or so) then they aren't the friend you thought they were. Although Willowbankbear did get a bit embarrased at first and now he doesn't even bother. I'm glad that the Caithness attitude is better than the American - just sounds like a story made out of ignorance. Good subject Pultneytooner.
Now i'm off to offend some Americans and feed the baby! :)

mccaugm
21-Aug-06, 16:16
Iquote -in a statement during an appearance on ABC’s the view, outspoken lesbian Rosie O’Donnell confessed that she had ordered her lesbian partner to stop breastfeeding her child because of her jealousy.

I read the article this quote relates to - as a mother who breastfed her children this horrified me. Thats paranoia gone mad. My husband encouraged me to feed my last child and was supportive when I decided to stop and use formula. This is the way it should be.

Rosies partner was doing what her body was designed for...why should Rosie be jealous?

phoenix
21-Aug-06, 21:38
I breast fed both of my children ........the most natural thing in the world to do. Mind you when it came to feeding time when others were around I had to make a quick sharp exit to another room only because I sensed their embarrassment and didnt want to offend. Only drawback was getting up at least once through the night when the better half was lying snoring his head of. :D I personally feel it gives them a better start in life. When I stopped feeding the youngest and introduced him to cows milk {on doctors advice and they dont always know whats best} he started having alsorts of problems. Breast is Best.........tough if others find it disgusting thats their problem! :roll:

sjwahwah
22-Aug-06, 00:01
i find it disgusting other people find it disgusting. I breastfed my daughter and when we were out and about she was always in a sling... and with a tug of the fabric through the slings rings and pulling the long part over my shoulder it covered me from my collar to my waist people could barely tell I was breastfeeding her muchless that there was a baby behind there. Completely handsfree.. walking around town.. on buses.. eating in a cafe and all the rest of it.. no probs. Pocket in the sling provides a cloth for wiping and a nappy.. take sling off my shoulders with her still in it... lie it on a surface..change her nappy.. put the sling back over your shoulders.. same if my husband had her in his sling and she got hungry in 2 secs he just puts the baby and sling over my shoulders and viola!... made my life when she was really wee easy as pie.