PDA

View Full Version : Some advice?

KCI
07-Jan-11, 23:28
Ok,, so I am just asking for some advice, don't want a war or anything!

I am worried about a young dog. Now I'm not saying that the little dog is being ill treated or anything, but he is only young, and he is left out in the garden most of the day until late late at night. He is only young, not even a year old I don't think.

Apart from getting in a huge fight, is there anything else I can do for this poor dog? He is very rarely taken out for walks, and has been left outside in blizzards etc........

It breaks my heart to see him out there.

The Happy Humanist
07-Jan-11, 23:30
Contact the SSPCA or the dog warden for a chat and some good advice. At least it will put your mind at rest, you would regret not doing it if something sad happened.
Good Luck.

Liz
07-Jan-11, 23:37
First of all I think it is so sad that you have to be afraid of asking for advice re a young dog you are concerned for. The way the org seems to be going though I understand!

Anyhoo, I can't add to what The Happy Humanist has said.

Well done for caring for the wee dog.

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-11, 00:07
As already said contact the SSPCA or the dog warden. All very friendly and willing to help!

It must be awful seeing that poor wee pup stuck outside! :( i dont like the thought of dogs being left out without a warm shelter for them and ample food and water. Just doesnt seem right!

Good luck and hope it gets sorted! xx

KCI
08-Jan-11, 00:09
Thanks guys - just wanted some reassurance I suppose!

I'm going to contact someone in the morning. It's so cold outside - even my outside cat has been inside for the last few weeks!

Dadie
08-Jan-11, 13:48
The dog warden is very good in situations like that!
She will even follow do follow up visits and phone you to see if the situation has improved!

Liz
08-Jan-11, 14:18
The dog warden is very good in situations like that!
She will even follow do follow up visits and phone you to see if the situation has improved!

Yes she is excellent Dadie and we are so lucky to have her as our Dog Warden!

Dadie
08-Jan-11, 14:57
She sorted out a problem we had in no time at all!
We had people at the back of us who had 2 dogs chained up night and day.
They barked constantly, and I felt bad that I couldnt let the kids play out as the noise got worse.
They would also chase kids and jump the fences if they escaped.
1 phonecall from us and the problem was solved...she phoned back twice to see that it was still resolved..
(the troublemakers moved away later on so I think its ok to mention it now!)

BalmoreSSPCA
09-Jan-11, 02:06
Hey KCI, Your fellow org members have given you the correct advice. Any concerns of neglect, cruelty or abandonment of any animals should be reported to the Scottish SPCA. Please contact us at the Scottish SPCA Balmore ARRC on Tel 01847861386. We will be able to take the details and pass them onto the Inspector who will be able to go and visit the people involved and try and rectify the problems. Please leave a message on the answer phone if you dont get a reply as we are normally in the kennels feeding and cleaning the animals in the morning. Thanks for caring about this wee dog x

porshiepoo
09-Jan-11, 11:04
Ok,, so I am just asking for some advice, don't want a war or anything!

I am worried about a young dog. Now I'm not saying that the little dog is being ill treated or anything, but he is only young, and he is left out in the garden most of the day until late late at night. He is only young, not even a year old I don't think.

Apart from getting in a huge fight, is there anything else I can do for this poor dog? He is very rarely taken out for walks, and has been left outside in blizzards etc........

It breaks my heart to see him out there.

Does the dog have kenneling or a dry area? Access to water / food etc?

Contacting the SSPCA is definitely the right thing to do as they have the power to enforce the owners to make sure that the dog has adequate shelter and access to fresh water etc. (If in fact this is not already provided) Shouldn't have to come to being forced to do it but sadly it's not unusual these days.

Leaving a dog outside is not in itself illegal and as far as I am aware is not regarded as neglect as long as the dog has shelter and food / water etc and hasn't been abandoned.
Could become an issue if the dog spends all day howling or barking though or if the dog appears to be suffering or neglected in any way.

Not the ideal way to keep a dog though and although my dogs do get kenneled if I need to go out I'd prefer not to have one at all if it meant locking it outside from dawn to dusk. They're pack animals and often don't do well in solitary conditions.
Not everyone feels that way though and this dogs owners may love it very much and not be aware of any problems.

A shame you obviously felt some degree of trepidation in making this post. I guess many of us can be accused of typing before we think sometimes, I know I can, but I'd hate to think I had contributed any way in making someone dubious about posting a thread asking for advice on a genuine concern.
You've done the right thing.