PDA

View Full Version : Wick Ice Skating Talent

scorrie
19-Aug-06, 19:57
Well, it has to be said Wick doesn't seem to have many John Currys but we have more than our fair share of Robbin' Cousins ;o)

footie chick
19-Aug-06, 21:26
Good on Wick for giving something different a go

scorrie
19-Aug-06, 23:08
Good on Wick for giving something different a go

I think you missed the point of my post. It is a play on the names of Britain's greatest ever solo Ice Skaters, used in a satirical manner to point to a local problem.

There is no actual reference to the abilities of anyone skating in Wick today or any other day. Looks like I am skating on thin ice and am unlikely to get 5.9's from the judges.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 23:58
I got your drift :D I think. A quick review of the groat on almost any week will give you a clue.

rockchick
20-Aug-06, 07:56
Did you honestly expect Wickers to have skating talent? How could they, without a facility to practice? Of course, the Wick river has been known to freeze over enough to skate upon, but I believe the last time that happened was in WWII.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Aug-06, 10:56
I think you comment is going over the top of everyone head here.:lol: Read it again slowly and think of what the words sound like..

scorrie
20-Aug-06, 15:38
I think you comment is going over the top of everyone head here.:lol: Read it again slowly and think of what the words sound like..

I think you are correct. I have already explained that it has nothing to do with Ice Skating talent, yet someone still interprets it literally.

Here's the full explanation. In 1976 John Curry won the Olympic Gold for men's figure skating. In 1980 Robin Cousins repeated the feat. They are Britain's most famous individual skaters. With the skating in Wick this weekend I thought to myself that whilst there are no John Currys in Wick there is certainly a legendary problem with a certain family and crime in Wick. Robin Cousins became Robbin' or Robbing Cousins. It is a play on words that somehow got interpreted as a criticism of the budding skaters of Wick. Proof that people will read what they want into an innocent statement.

scorrie
20-Aug-06, 15:40
Did you honestly expect Wickers to have skating talent? How could they, without a facility to practice? Of course, the Wick river has been known to freeze over enough to skate upon, but I believe the last time that happened was in WWII.

I recall walking over Wick River on the ice in the late 70's and I'm no Legolas!!

canuck
20-Aug-06, 16:31
I think you missed the point of my post. It is a play on the names of Britain's greatest ever solo Ice Skaters, used in a satirical manner to point to a local problem.

There is no actual reference to the abilities of anyone skating in Wick today or any other day. Looks like I am skating on thin ice and am unlikely to get 5.9's from the judges.

Some of your loyal readers got it. I did!

DrSzin
20-Aug-06, 17:30
Oh gosht - that was a relatively-criminal joke which deserved its frosty reception, but at least I got it. :eek:

I think we must have bhindi same school of bad humour. ;)

pultneytooner
20-Aug-06, 19:30
Well, it has to be said Wick doesn't seem to have many John Currys but we have more than our fair share of Robbin' Cousins ;o)
Plenty of criminals in wick not just the one particular family.

scorrie
20-Aug-06, 22:28
Plenty of criminals in wick not just the one particular family.

Want to have a wee side bet on going back through the Groat archives and not finding certain names cropping up more often than the average?

Anyway, what is your point? This post was written with a view to making people smile and that was achieved to some extent at least. Tough luck for anyone who manages to twist something else out of such a gently satirical post.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Aug-06, 01:11
At a rough geusstimate I would think that 50% of the crimes reprted in the Groat come from maybe 5 different family surnames. Someone prove me wrong please.