PDA

View Full Version : Bad Cold/Flu

Saveman
07-Jan-11, 12:41
*sneeze* Seems there's some concern over flu this winter. I know a number who are suffering *cough* Is it just me or does the sore throat and runny nose etc. last longer than normal??

*sneeze*

debimac
07-Jan-11, 14:19
I live in south wales and some of us have been blessed with this flu virus twice in the past few months! I don't know of anyone who hasn't been affected recently! I stocked up on lemsip, paracetamol and ibuprofen, benylin,covonia,the whole chemist i think, obviously not taking all of these at one time!!! The out of hours doctor suggested ice cubes if you are vomiting with it just to keep taking in fluid or sips of water!!
Hope you get better soon!!!

billmoseley
07-Jan-11, 16:20
i suspect what most people have had including me over the last few weeks is a very nasty cold and not flu. but still very nasty

Dadie
07-Jan-11, 16:28
We have had the calpol bottle hit hard!
No one is actually sniffling or coughing...but all 3 kids have had temps that spike to 40!
The littlest one has had an ear infection and has a viral spotty rash at the moment!
So there seems to be a lot of bugs going at the moment...
What will it be like once the little germ carriers all get back to the schools and nurseries?

purplelady
08-Jan-11, 00:16
have had a sore throat cough and sore neck since before news years eve think it is going and just comes back just taking paracetamol and benylin x

debimac
08-Jan-11, 11:58
since having my 2 bouts of the flu since october i too had this awful headache earache, neckache. It was driving me mad !!!!
Started to use sudafed and inhaling ucalyptus! Everything gets blocked up in your sinuses, and ears makes you feel crud!
Everyone fighting for the flu jab down here and they've run out, great!!
hope you are feeling better soon too!!
P.s i'm not a doctor, just a mum with three children and a husband and a big family and everyone of us has had the flu!
Always worth a call to the doctors tho just in case you need antibiotics!!! Good luck!!!

bagpuss
08-Jan-11, 23:52
try snorting slightly salted water to clear blocked nasal passages

hopi ear candling helps blocked ears

best throat remedy is a tablespoon of honey; the same of lemon jouce in a cup or hot water- sip slowly
and paracetamol keeps temperature under control

Dadie
08-Jan-11, 23:58
Hmmn there is a sickness and squits bug doing the rounds too...
Thought the cold spell we have had would have kept the bugs down!

purplelady
09-Jan-11, 00:12
Am fed up with feeling like crap to be honest and a good nights sleep wud be good too has been about a week since i slept well just kept awake coughing x

Vistravi
09-Jan-11, 18:13
My partner took that bug home with him one day. He had flu for a day and then a bad cold. I then got a bad cold with lots of headaches which lasted a day or so longer than the cold. But our son got it and bad. To avoid it turning into something else i gave him calpol, let him sleep it of and steamed him regurly. The steaming was helping me so killed two birds with one stone by steaming him. He had it for a week and then he was on the mend. Took him a bit longer than us but that is to be expected as he's only little. It is a very nasty cold to get. Hits you hard.

orkneycadian
09-Jan-11, 22:26
How can you get "flu for a day"? Seems anything more than a mild sniffle these days is categorised as flu!

Whitewater
09-Jan-11, 22:31
I've had a mild cold and sniffle or two, but I guess I'm lucky. Since I qualified for the flu jag several years ago I have never had flu. It is really well worth having if you can get it.