PDA

View Full Version : Caithness around the world...

Tubthumper
05-Jan-11, 23:58
I believe the guy in charge of Northern Ireland Water is a son of Caithness. It's good to see people from the County getting on around the world (but I bet he wishes the weather had been a bit kinder this last month or so!)

Any other success stories of people from here who've gone away and achieved great things?

theone
06-Jan-11, 00:12
He's long dead, but an Arthur St.Clair from Thurso was president of America during their revolution. That was before they got true independance though.

http://www.arthurstclair.com/

oldmarine
06-Jan-11, 00:41
He's long dead, but an Arthur St.Clair from Thurso was president of America during their revolution. That was before they got true independance though.

Yes, you are correct. Not too many USA citizens know this part of their history.

Tubthumper
06-Jan-11, 00:43
Isn't there a theory that a St Clair discovered America? Before Columbus that is. But after the native Americans, obviously.

theone
06-Jan-11, 00:53
Isn't there a theory that a St Clair discovered America? Before Columbus that is. But after the native Americans, obviously.

There's a lot of theories that the knights templar were in America prior to Columbus.

The carvings of Corn (native to America) in Roslyn chapel, which has templar and St Clair connections, gives that some weight, as do some rune stones found in America.

The St.Clairs at that time were gifted lands inCaithness rather than native to it.

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jan-11, 05:04
I've read, and heard, that Sir John Sinclair sold the street-plan gird pattern to town-planning developers in Manhattan. Could be a load of cobblers, then again...

Other worthies include Jim Sutherland (the only Caithness man to be awarded Gold and Platinum records) and Kevin Williamson (founder of Rebel Inc, and the first to publish extracts of what became Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting).

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jan-11, 05:08
Alexander Keith, the creator of Indian Pale Ale, was from Halkirk.

Aaldtimer
06-Jan-11, 05:17
Other worthies include Jim Sutherland (the only Caithness man to be awarded Gold and Platinum records)).

Erm...educate me, what would that have been for then?:confused

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Jan-11, 06:45
Erm...educate me, what would that have been for then?:confused

Jim played on Page & Plant's No Quarter album. He's so modest, he once let me use them as stands to prop one of my amplifiers on when I recorded at his studio.

John Little
06-Jan-11, 07:55

Your link says he was president in 1787. They got their independence in 1781 so he was a pukka president - thanks for that - fascinating.

theone
06-Jan-11, 12:59
Your link says he was president in 1787. They got their independence in 1781 so he was a pukka president - thanks for that - fascinating.

Then I stand corrected.

I'm sure there is some reason somewhere that he is not considered a "full" president, maybe because the constitution wasn't written then?

John Little
06-Jan-11, 13:05
That's probably right because they were not sure at that time what sort of association they wished to be. There was not supposed to be any strong central government and the states were meant to keep most of their autonomy- the office of President was not very powerful and bears no resemblance to the impetrial presidency we are used to.