PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Petrol Prices

Cattach
19-Aug-06, 09:41
Great letter in the P & J today. Very accurate regarding prices but more interesting regarding councillors who get their petrol paid through expenses and don't have to buy often in Caithness. The same councillors who denied the people of Thurso a supermarket petrol station in Thurso. No doubt they can fill up in Inverness weekly at meetings. Sure they do not fill up in Thurso before leaving!!!!!!!

willz320
19-Aug-06, 10:01
I got a shock when I came over from Orkney last week. I took the car over, running on fumes only to find that the fuel prices in Thurso are more expensive than Orkney!! Whats that all about? Surely, the Highlands and Islands should be sibsidised for fuel costs as private vehicles are not a luxury, but a necessity in rural areas?

Tugmistress
19-Aug-06, 10:25
Have noticed the cheapest in Thurso at the moment that I have seen is £1.04 for both diesel and petrol at the national garage just by Dunbar hospital.

connieb19
19-Aug-06, 10:28
Lochshell is always cheaper than anywhere in Wick.

Mr P Cannop
19-Aug-06, 10:52
lets all flock to Lochshell

Billy Boy
19-Aug-06, 10:57
Lochshell is always cheaper than anywhere in Wick.

they have had a black bag over there diesel pump for 3/4 week's now,maybe this is why there so cheap[lol]

connieb19
19-Aug-06, 10:59
they have had a black bag over there diesel pump for 3/4 week's now,maybe this is why there so cheap[lol]There is one out of order but the other one is ok. I had diesel from ther yesterday.:roll:

concerned resident
19-Aug-06, 11:02
I fought that every one realized that our MSP’s and Councillors, are not that interested in trying to lower the price of petrol in the north, unless its near Election time, then you will hear, what they are going to do, but it is the same every time (not anything).
It is common knowledge that they all get there petrol in Inverness, I always wondered why they could not get the problem rectified, so we were not discriminated against, other country area’s abroad get assistance, where there is a price difference, is it they are lazy or incompetent, all in the Masons, or just government puppets with no power.
Just remember Petrol prices and supermarkets, when it comes to Election time.

Billy Boy
19-Aug-06, 11:03
There is one out of order but the other one is ok. I had diesel from ther yesterday.:roll:

they must have just got it going, we were there last week and they had none:mad:

willz320
19-Aug-06, 11:09
Actually I just found out why it is more expensive, apparently Orkney gets all its fuel directly from a oil tanker, whereas your fuel is transported all the way up the north of scotland! Yet we still get taxed heavily! What is this bloody world coming to??!! lol ;)

Cattach
19-Aug-06, 11:29
Have noticed the cheapest in Thurso at the moment that I have seen is £1.04 for both diesel and petrol at the national garage just by Dunbar hospital.
When was that - not today. There is a cartel operating and they all charge the same!!! Worse than that Dunnet's will charge the same as the others in Thurso by agreement but have different price in Wick. Sometimes a bit cheaper at the Wick garage.

WeeBurd
19-Aug-06, 11:31
I was in Inverness yesterday and paid 93.9p a litre. Compared to the £1.06 in Thurso.

I don't think it's justified do you?

willz320
19-Aug-06, 11:33
To be honest, the pricing system is a farce, and correctly said, there is a presence of a cartel. It is the same all over the North of Scotland, something has to be done about it. How they can even think of raising prices up here because we are far away when public transport is basically non-existant for most parts. The government need a good boot up the....in the leg. :roll:

p.s. some of the small isles are paying up to 1.15 per litre for petrol, with diesel being a penny or so more!

j4bberw0ck
19-Aug-06, 11:52
As I understand it, the big filling stations in Inverness shift millions of litres a month and are operated by the oil companies, so they get to buy their petrol and derv cheaper. The competitive pressures locally are huge because of the volumes involved, so they must and can manage on a smaller margin.

The little / private filling stations up here have to pay what Highland Fuels will supply for and then take care of their own maintenance, insurances and so on. That's the principal reason why it's so expensive in rural areas and why if a "big oil" moves in (and for the purposes of this discussion I include ASDA in that though it's a Caithness issue) the small filling stations go bust. They simply cannot match the prices.

A small part of the extra is tax (because road fuel is VATted at 17.5% in addition to fixed rate petroleum duty) so rural areas have a slightly greater tax burden than our wealthier cousins "sooth". But that's not the only example of differential taxation.

The Treasury won't change things because where would you draw the line on the map? At the moment, it's just a few people in the wilderness who are ticked off. Draw a line and make different rules and there'll be an extra 100,000 Civil Servants just opening the letters of complaint, petitions and so on. Oh, and of course another 100,000 monitoring the system for abuses.

Anyone for another few pence on income tax to pay for it all? :eek:

Loafer
19-Aug-06, 13:08
When was that - not today. There is a cartel operating and they all charge the same!!! Worse than that Dunnet's will charge the same as the others in Thurso by agreement but have different price in Wick. Sometimes a bit cheaper at the Wick garage.

Richards garage (the one by Dunbar Hospital) is NOT in the Thurso cartel. They are always a penny or two cheaper. The cartel consists of Pennyland, Dunnets and Bridgend. That is FACT!!!!!!

The Loafer

Tugmistress
19-Aug-06, 15:30

yes i am afraid it was today :D
just driven past and it is still the same though for how long i don't know :roll:

bigpete
19-Aug-06, 16:18
Hi
Never understood if these bleeding hearts who run the filling stations in Thurso are existing by the 'mearest of margins', why the heck are they still in business? can't be worth it can it? So get out of it. There's FOUR in Thurso and FIVE? in Wick; that's too many for such a small population, so really it can't be that bad if they are still in business.

Never mind, they will be put out of their misery by Christmas when Tesco (forget about Co-op's 'judicial revew') starts selling us fuel at fair pricesl.

What's all this rubbish of 'supporting locals'? they've never supported us, we've been paying over the odds for years, how the heck can the fuel up here be 12p a litre more than Alness 90 miles south? Is it any wonder 8 million pounds is spent away from Caithness?

And (as was in today's P&J) these four Councillors who refused ASDA are totally responsible for the demise (even further) of Thurso.. Total bewilderment is the comment from down the line, what century is this?

Margaret M.
19-Aug-06, 18:07
I thought gas prices were high here lately but when I was home a few weeks back, I almost croaked when I filled up the tank in Wick. It surprises me that people still just stop by to visit -- if I was paying that much for petrol, I'd be calling ahead to make sure the visitee is home.

Cattach
19-Aug-06, 20:52
As I understand it, the big filling stations in Inverness shift millions of litres a month and are operated by the oil companies, so they get to buy their petrol and derv cheaper. The competitive pressures locally are huge because of the volumes involved, so they must and can manage on a smaller margin.

The little / private filling stations up here have to pay what Highland Fuels will supply for and then take care of their own maintenance, insurances and so on. That's the principal reason why it's so expensive in rural areas and why if a "big oil" moves in (and for the purposes of this discussion I include ASDA in that though it's a Caithness issue) the small filling stations go bust. They simply cannot match the prices.

A small part of the extra is tax (because road fuel is VATted at 17.5% in addition to fixed rate petroleum duty) so rural areas have a slightly greater tax burden than our wealthier cousins "sooth". But that's not the only example of differential taxation.

The Treasury won't change things because where would you draw the line on the map? At the moment, it's just a few people in the wilderness who are ticked off. Draw a line and make different rules and there'll be an extra 100,000 Civil Servants just opening the letters of complaint, petitions and so on. Oh, and of course another 100,000 monitoring the system for abuses.

Anyone for another few pence on income tax to pay for it all? :eek:
There is of course a fly in the ointment, a flaw in your argument. I toured around the North of Scotland in my caravan this summer and on the mainland Thurso had higher prices than many out of the way places with very small petrol turnovers. Pennyland Filling Station, and Thurso Bridgend too, have very significant sales. much higher than many stations in Easter Ross and East Sutherland and yet their prices are very high compared. Once you start looking at low volume outlet in North Sutherlamd and Easter Ross you realise that there is more to it than distance or sales level - two things called cartel and GREED.

Cattach
19-Aug-06, 21:17
Richards garage (the one by Dunbar Hospital) is NOT in the Thurso cartel. They are always a penny or two cheaper. The cartel consists of Pennyland, Dunnets and Bridgend. That is FACT!!!!!!

The Loafer
I was told by someone on the inside a few weks ago that a price rise was delayed by the cartel because A Richards was on holiday and they could not put on an increase until the Monday. Being a reliable source I have to assume info correct - from my point of view allegedly!!!

footie chick
19-Aug-06, 21:21
Stick to the local garges RB Flett & J&GSutherland & Spittal have been the cheapest lately

bagpuss
19-Aug-06, 23:05
Never mind, folks- when Dougie Alexander brings in road pricing that'll even things up. Those in cities in the south will be paying over a thousand quid a year extra while we'll be paying the 2p per mile.

If the USA had to pay our prices for fuel, they'd soon give up their gas guzzlers and get rid of their cowboy administration

mickey101
19-Aug-06, 23:11
Hi
I havent seen a paper today. What was said in the P & J about ASDA and our local muppets. Can anyone give me a brief summary?

M

Loafer
20-Aug-06, 16:33
I was told by someone on the inside a few weks ago that a price rise was delayed by the cartel because A Richards was on holiday and they could not put on an increase until the Monday. Being a reliable source I have to assume info correct - from my point of view allegedly!!!

if this is the case, why is Richards always a penny or two cheaper?????

The Loafer

Billy Boy
21-Aug-06, 13:20
if this is the case, why is Richards always a penny or two cheaper?????

The Loafer

to make the cartel theory look false???

rs 2k
21-Aug-06, 15:01
Pennyland filling station now at £1.02 for diesel and petrol :)

Tristan
21-Aug-06, 17:11
Pennyland filling station now at £1.02 for diesel and petrol :)

102.9 easy to miss that extra penny.

Glad the price has come down a bit. How is Richards Garage looking?

Antediluvian
21-Aug-06, 18:16
102.9 easy to miss that extra penny.

Glad the price has come down a bit. How is Richards Garage looking?

Still 1.04, Is cheaper there than in Wick. But they just got a delivery today, Richards didn't need any, but when they get their next delivery the price should come down.

bigpete
21-Aug-06, 19:30
Hi "Still 1.04, Is cheaper there than in Wick. But they just got a delivery today, Richards didn't need any, but when they get their next delivery the price should come down."

Went past Richards in Thurso at about 2.15pm and there was a Tanker there?

COACHMAN
22-Aug-06, 19:32
Petrol And Derv In Wick At Elm Tree Will Be 1.02 Ppl As From Tomorrow.

Rubha_an_Tuir
24-Aug-06, 12:38
http://www.thisisaberdeen.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=148760&command=displayContent&sourceNode=148586&contentPK=15241128&folderPk=85349&pNodeId=148317

tip top
24-Aug-06, 14:40
http://www.thisisaberdeen.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=148760&command=displayContent&sourceNode=148586&contentPK=15241128&folderPk=85349&pNodeId=148317

Have just read the above article and it set the conspiracy theorist in me going.

Tesco operate a "local pricing policy" whilst ASDA operate a "national price".

Perhaps the "Cartel" having realised that ASDA would hurt them a lot more than Tesco have influenced the councillors. [para]

Rubha_an_Tuir
24-Aug-06, 17:32
Interesting observation Tip Top,

Lets see if Tesco operate a "local pricing policy" in Wick then.....warning lights are starting to flash people.....eg. Cartel say 102p therefore, "local policy" states Tesco undercut slightly and do approx 101.3p......Still way more expensive....surely this is too simplified?

The Asda "national" pricing does appeal, that would REALLY hit the petrol barrons up north....

Just a thought....

robglysen
24-Aug-06, 18:49
I hope everyone thats ripping us off goes bust full stop. They richly deserve it, and if they're reading this. Good.

ASmith5517
24-Aug-06, 19:30
I have never written in to this before but feel that I have to now as I can confirm that there is a pricing scheme in Wick for sure as a few years ago I know of a certain petrol station that recived a warning to raise there prices to match the rest of the big stations in Wick!!!
I'm glad the person in question did not. This was about 5 years ago now and I am sure that this is still going on between the main stations in the town, there just out to rip us off in any way possible.

I hope Tesco's don't carry out a local pricing scheme as I was looking forward to paying the same as people down south for a change.

All I can say is if they do is bring on ASDA!!!

mickey101
24-Aug-06, 19:51
Hi
I for one would very much like to see Asda come to Thurso however I would say it has a less than a 10% chance of getting through the planning meeting. It has already been postponed once and I think it will be postponed again. They are clearly trying to stall in the hope that the town cools down before they unbiasedly decide to can the proposal. If they believe that then they trully have misread the feeling in the community. Our dear unbiased local councillors are probably calling in every favour they can to block it, even though it has been made clear what the wishes of the community is on this matter.
This is in spite of it being quite clear that the original vote clearly broke the rules as two of the councillors declared their objections to the project and should have excused themselves from the meeting. It is my understanding that the councillors taking part in a planning meeting are supposed to hear the report of the planning officer as well as the opinions of both the interested parties before reaching a decision otherwise why bother.
Perhaps in future we should save money by getting rid of the Planning officer, his department and the planning meeting and simply ask our councillors what we are allowed to have.
Sorry folks we seem to have a new kind of democracy.

ASmith5517
24-Aug-06, 20:06
If what you say is true mickey101 and I don't dissbelive you, then what chance do we have?
The same councillors get back in time and time again so things won't change?

There is a lot in the county that could be better if it wasn't for the people who make the decisions!!

mickey101
24-Aug-06, 20:19
Hi Asmith
What we can do is that we are doing now. Keeping the heat on them and using the power of the media to keep them honest.

M

tip top
24-Aug-06, 21:54
Interesting observation Tip Top,

Lets see if Tesco operate a "local pricing policy" in Wick then.....warning lights are starting to flash people.....eg. Cartel say 102p therefore, "local policy" states Tesco undercut slightly and do approx 101.3p......Still way more expensive....surely this is too simplified?

The Asda "national" pricing does appeal, that would REALLY hit the petrol barrons up north....

Just a thought....

EXACTLY - If you were going to fill up with 50 litres (this obviously assumes a lottery win) and Tesco operate on the above figures (I don't know if they would undercut the opposition by that much) you would only save 35p - is it worth traveling out of town for the sake of a few pennies??

Naefearjustbeer
25-Aug-06, 01:55
EXACTLY - If you were going to fill up with 50 litres (this obviously assumes a lottery win) and Tesco operate on the above figures (I don't know if they would undercut the opposition by that much) you would only save 35p - is it worth traveling out of town for the sake of a few pennies??

Well yes of course it is as you will be out doing your weekly/monthly shop and saving pounds and pounds on your groceries. We quite often do a big shop in tescos in Inverness and it is possible to save more that the cost of fuel to get to inverness and back with a trolley full of shopping.

bigpete
25-Aug-06, 10:46
Hi folks
thought (might be pointless) to contact tesco to ask if 'local petrol prices will be in effect in Wick ie. just a bit cheaper etc etcf:

Hello Tesco
We are all very pleased that you now have a toe-hold in the Far North of Scotland with your proposed new store at wick, Caithness, due to open "in plenty of time for Christmas". This is all great news, being restricted to the present Co-op and Somerfield and their very small choice. Additionally the arrival of your Tesco fuel will be greatly appreciated. However the compelling question is about your fuel pricing policy, we understand that it is a 'local pricing' policy. Unfortunately 'up here' the local pumps operate a price-fixing cartel (it is common knowledge) and have done so for many years. A few days ago our unleaded petrol was £1.06.9 whilst Tesco our nearest store - in Inverness was 93.0p. Our simple question is; will your prices be just under the 'local' price of £1.06.9 or a few pence above the Inverness price. It's really a burning question. Thank you in anticipation.

got this back so still hoping and waiting!:

Thank you for your email.This is an acknowledgement that your e-mail has successfully reached us, and we will respond to it as soon as possible.
If your e-mail relates to an urgent Grocery Home Shopping query e.g. Late delivery or missing items please call us on the following number.
For our customers in the United Kingdom: 08457 22 55 33 For our customers in the Republic of Ireland:00 800 00 225533 Monday to Friday 9am to 11pm,
Saturday 9am to 8pm Sunday 10am to 6pm RegardsTesco Customer Services

Dreadnought
25-Aug-06, 17:03
At Asda* the current price per litre (as of twenty minutes ago) is 91.9p.

*Thats Asda way down here in the south.

COACHMAN
26-Aug-06, 11:14
Tesco have a local Price Policy
to be the cheapest within a 3 mile radius this may only be one tenth of a penny cheaper.This is the case in Huntly at the moment.
If you all know so much about the Local Cartel why do you not report it to the OFT who will look into the Matter.
The OFT looked at two Wick Firms last year and found NO PRICE FIXING so it is Great you all can speak about it but please come up with the evidence to back it.

COACHMAN
26-Aug-06, 11:23
Price At Elm Tree In Wick For Derv Now £1.00 Ppl Unleaded Will Be Down Next Week

bigpete
27-Aug-06, 16:24
Hi Folks

Wrote to tesco on 24th august:
Hello Tesco,
We are all very pleased that you now have a toe-hold in the Far North of Scotland with your proposed new store at wick, Caithness, due to open "in plenty of time for Christmas".
This is all great news, being restricted to the present Co-op and Somerfield and their very small choice. Additionally the arrival of your Tesco fuel will be greatly appreciated.
However the compelling question is about your fuel pricing policy, we understand that it is a 'local pricing' policy. Unfortunately 'up here' a number of the local pumps operate a price-fixing cartel (it is common knowledge) and have done so for many years. A few days ago our unleaded petrol was £1.06.9 whilst Tesco our nearest store - in Inverness was 93.0p. Our simple question is; will your prices be just under the 'local' price of £1.06.9 or a few pence above the Inverness price. It's really a burning question.

Tesco have just come back:
Thank you for your email. We are sorry to advise that our fuel pricing policy is currently under going changes. As soon as the new Store has been completed, a revised fuel pricing policy will be made available.
Kind Regards, Jaimie Smyth, Tesco Customer Service

So what does that mean? any idea folks on this 'new fuel pricing policy'? (they did get bad publicity a week or two ago with differences between Elgin/Inverness etc)

changilass
27-Aug-06, 16:34
Dunnets in Wick was sitting at 99.9 when we went through today:D

bigpete
30-Aug-06, 16:32
Hi

'If you live in Northern Ireland, you can save an extra 4p off each litre of fuel. There is a promotion running in the Belfast Telegraph with selected Spar, Eurospar, Vivo and Vivoxtra stations.

You need to buy a copy of the Belfast Telegraph newspaper any day until Wednesday August 30 to get 4p off each litre of fuel. You must use the coupon by midnight on September 3, 2006.'

Wonder if the John O Groats Journal or the P&J will do this? (fat chance!)