PDA

View Full Version : Tumble dryer, repair or replace. Pics..!

willfal
05-Jan-11, 18:23
Today the dryer tripped the RCD, its been a while but usually it just needs de-fluffed when it does this.

I gave it a good clean, removing all off the parts which are user serviceable but the tripping would return after a minute off being switched back on.. suspect an earth fault.

I removed the first rear cover from the machine, this holds the heating element and covers the fan for circulating the air into the drum.

Here is what i found..

The element has a foil paper core running through the center for strenght, this was very damp and broken in 3 places (The actualy element is not broken). In total there are four elements but only the one in my pic is poorly.

Should i bother trying to fix this @ £50 for the part or just get a new machine as i cant say this is the problem but its obviously not helping.

Its sad really as this was quite an expensive hotpoint version, less than 8 months out off warrenty.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/willfal/IMG_0036.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/willfal/IMG_0038.jpg

Kodiak
05-Jan-11, 19:14
I would get a new machine myself. At least this way you will get at least a years Guarantee with it. :D

ducati
05-Jan-11, 20:16
Although it is out of warranty, it still would be worth contacting the retailer you bought it from. There may be a case for it being a manufacturing fault. I apreciate you need a dryer though, the above might take a while to resolve.

scorrie
05-Jan-11, 20:57
I would get a new machine myself. At least this way you will get at least a years Guarantee with it. :D

I thought you were a firm fan of The Sale of Goods Act? You certainly championed it strongly enough on here previously.

Kodiak
05-Jan-11, 21:36
I thought you were a firm fan of The Sale of Goods Act? You certainly championed it strongly enough on here previously.

Please Elucidate

scorrie
05-Jan-11, 21:55
Please Elucidate

Do you not recall your own posts on the subject then? Or is it simply that you finally agreed with me that the Sale of Goods act was rubbish?

Here is the thread/post for those with shorter memories:-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?109808-Panasonic-tv-con&p=713112#post713112

Kodiak
05-Jan-11, 22:14
Do you not recall your own posts on the subject then? Or is it simply that you finally agreed with me that the Sale of Goods act was rubbish?

Here is the thread/post for those with shorter memories:-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?109808-Panasonic-tv-con&p=713112#post713112

What has the Sale of Goods Act got anything to do with the question? Answer...Nothing.

The Question was "Should i bother trying to fix this @ £50 for the part or just get a new machine"

My answer was to buy a new Machine.

Now if the question had been "What should I do about the broken down Machine?" My Answer would have been different.

EDDIE
05-Jan-11, 22:30
I would chuck it and get another one If it cost £50 for the part and breaks down again you would have been cheaper buying a new one in the first place.
And what made that part go faulty in the first place?

George Brims
06-Jan-11, 00:10
I would chuck it and get another one If it cost £50 for the part and breaks down again you would have been cheaper buying a new one in the first place.
And what made that part go faulty in the first place?
Where can you get a new dryer for under 50 quid? I would repair it.

wickscorrie
06-Jan-11, 11:38
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/tumble-dryer/catalogue.pl?path=492292:496639
for example - wasn't sure of model number
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/tumble-dryer/hotpoint/dryer-element/product.pl?pid=147055&path=492292:496639,52515:492298

i'd go replace bits first before buying new

EDDIE
06-Jan-11, 18:21
Where can you get a new dryer for under 50 quid? I would repair it.

If he spends £50 quid and that doesnt solve it he has then got to get someone in to fix it that might be another£100 plus to fix it then what happens if it breaksdown again 6 months later it can be more trouble than its worth.
If he was 100% sure it was that what was wrong then he would better taking a chance but hes not

pat
06-Jan-11, 18:44
that looks much the same as my one, expensive for a tumble drier but well worth the money (luckily have had over seven years of continual hard use, get the part and put it in or get someone to look at it.
I had a little trouble with my one about 6 months ago, luckily I called a repairer out - £20, instead of £400 for a new one and the trouble of trying to get it from the mainland.

willfal
06-Jan-11, 19:24
that looks much the same as my one, expensive for a tumble drier but well worth the money (luckily have had over seven years of continual hard use, get the part and put it in or get someone to look at it.
I had a little trouble with my one about 6 months ago, luckily I called a repairer out - £20, instead of £400 for a new one and the trouble of trying to get it from the mainland.

Who did you call out? I'd like someone to test the machine, say xyz is wrong and i'll buy the parts and fix it.

ShelleyCowie
06-Jan-11, 19:55
Personally i would replace. My tumbly dryer gave out a couple of months back, was very lucky for my inlaws to buy us a new one as our christmas present. Absolutely delighted with it! BUT....my old one really was old and nowhere near repair worthy! Basically would cost alot more than it was worth.

If you could get someone to take a look, see whats better off in their professional opinion then that would be better, especially if it is quite an expensive one! Good luck

willfal
07-Jan-11, 20:44
So does anyone know who locally can look at it for me...

LMS
08-Jan-11, 04:51
Caithness Appliances 01847 891800

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=1464

oldmarine
08-Jan-11, 18:51

Looks like the manufacturer figured the warrenty pretty close for it to fail that soon after it expired. I would buy a new machine.

scorrie
15-Jan-11, 00:07
What has the Sale of Goods Act got anything to do with the question? Answer...Nothing.

The Question was "Should i bother trying to fix this @ £50 for the part or just get a new machine"

My answer was to buy a new Machine.

Now if the question had been "What should I do about the broken down Machine?" My Answer would have been different.

I think you must be slightly slow on the uptake if you cannot work out the correlation between a faulty piece of electrical equipment and the Sale of Goods Act!!

The original poster stated that the machine was only 8 months out of warranty, the whole point of the sale of goods act is that goods need to be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. You previously championed writing to the retailer reminding them of their responsibility under the sale of goods act. Now you are perforing a volte-face and suggesting that the person buy a new machine.

I suspect that much of your information is gleaned from articles which you do not fully understand the full implications of. Clearly you cannot remember your own input to the forum. Hardly surprising given the sweetie-wifie nature of much of it!!

Sorry for the late reply to this, I have recently undergone surgery.