PDA

View Full Version : Grooming

kitty
05-Jan-11, 16:09
Just wandering if anyone has any tips for keeping your dog still while trying to brush them.

My older 2 dogs have always been so good and just sit there but my 5 month pup.... well..... it seems to send her mental. lol. Not in a bad way, she doesn't dislike it but she just seems to think its another game and takes off round the house with her bum tucked in thinking its a great laugh :lol:

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

Liz
05-Jan-11, 20:19
My part in grooming is to feed Benjy with cooked carrot whilst my sister brushes him!:lol:

So perhaps you could give her some nice treats so that she associates grooming with good things.
Also, maybe do it a couple of times a week for shorter periods of time so she doesn't get bored.
Does she have a long coat? If so I got something similar to a Furminator (didn't really like it) made by Mikki and it takes loads of excess hair out so you get much more out in a shorter length of time.

kitty
06-Jan-11, 13:03
Thanks Liz i'll give the treats a try... think tbh that my main problem is that she is just sooo hyper and it doesn't help when i laugh at her running around. lol. Can't help myself though.

She's got a medium length coat with the fur on her legs and paws being fluffier than on her body

Liz
06-Jan-11, 19:52
Thanks Liz i'll give the treats a try... think tbh that my main problem is that she is just sooo hyper and it doesn't help when i laugh at her running around. lol. Can't help myself though.

She's got a medium length coat with the fur on her legs and paws being fluffier than on her body

Sounds like you may need to groom her for short periods of time.:D

It's the Mikki Moult Master I have and it's great!

kitty
06-Jan-11, 20:18
I'll have a look into that.... Thanks Liz :)

Kathy@watten
06-Jan-11, 22:51
I used to work for a show yard and kennels, they used a noose on a table for prepping dogs...not very kind, but what I now do if I have to brush a dog through....get one of those groomer mits the rubbery ones and cover in butter...pin it to wall and comb while they are licking it! Put it higher to do underneath and leg hair!