PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 cash for what?, City uses fed millions to fight sick WTC worker

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 21:46
City uses fed millions to fight sick WTC workers,
attorney says

BY JOE MAHONEY and CORKY SIEMASZKO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

The city is using a big slice of the $1 billion it got from the feds post-9/11 to fight first responders who claim they got sick on the site, a lawyer who is suing the city charged yesterday.

David Worby, who is waging a suit on behalf of 8,000 WTC responders and their survivors, said $20 million has been "spent on city lawyers to deny the claims of cops, firefighters and others who were sickened."

"That money should be used to help these people," he said. "Take $100 million from the billion, Mr. Mayor, and set up a proper registry" to monitor the health of those who toiled at Ground Zero.

There was no immediate response to Worby's accusation from Mayor Bloomberg, but the city contends it is allowed to tap funds from the World Trade Center Captive Insurance Company to defend itself against claims. The federally funded entity was set up after the 9/11 attacks because no commercial insurance company would take on the risk.

Bloomberg promised to look into whether the city stiffed its 9/11 heroes after being prodded to do so by hard-hitting Daily News editorials that described the plight of 12,000 ailing Ground Zero workers.

So far, he hasn't acknowledged that the deaths of at least four first responders - and the illnesses of thousands more - were directly related to their toiling amid the toxins of Ground Zero.

Yesterday, Gov. Pataki also vowed to do right by the ailing workers.

"I believe that the reporting by the Daily News is important," he said. "I have directed all relevant state agencies to follow up on these reports and ensure that critical treatment and compensation for injuries suffered as a result of their involvement in the rescue, recovery and cleanup efforts is accessible to each and every one of our heroes."

Worby wasn't the only City Hall critic yesterday who accused Bloomberg of pinching pennies while Ground Zero heroes are suffering.

Peter Meringolo, president of the Correction Captains' Association and chairman of the state Public Employee Conference, said the city is sitting on a $5 billion surplus and some of that dough should be used to help 9/11's forgotten victims.

"I really don't want to hear it's not in the city budget because that's nonsense," Meringolo said. "The mayor talks about productivity. If risking your life after 9/11 isn't productivity, I don't know what is."

"Currently there are also over 100 firefighters that FDNY doctors have deemed as too permanently disabled to continue working as firefighters, yet the city won't allow them to retire," added Steve Cassidy, head of the Uniformed Firefighters Association. "If we are not going to take care of the rescuers, what type of message does that send?

Heroes Or greedy, litigious money grabbers, you decide?

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 17:19
I'm sure I don't have to tell you my thoughts on this Pultneytooner![lol] Good on ya for picking out this article.. haven't seen it before. But, I think 9/11 can be explained simply by answering this...

Cui Bono?

oldmarine
21-Aug-06, 19:17
My first time reading this. Never thought of it in this way, but it does have merit.

George Brims
21-Aug-06, 21:43
But, I think 9/11 can be explained simply by answering this...

Cui Bono?

You don't explain anything to me by saying it in a language I don't understand.

OK now I looked it up. It's "who benefits" for those who can't be bothered. I kind guessed that based on your past utterances. And just who do you think did benefit? In my book, no-one did.

sjwahwah
21-Aug-06, 23:02
I think you will find all the answers if you just even have a wee peek.

You can start with "put options" (tried and tested and perfected after the Battle of Waterloo) then cute lil' Larry Silverstein and his cute lil' lease and cute lil' insurance policy details on his cute lil' complex. Onwards we march to Capitol Hill... we find a funky lil' doc called "The Patriot Act" MY she sure got a purty name... must be good. Constitution? wha's that ? Oh..oh.. hurry wave.. hurry wave.. BYE BYE Mr. Posse Comitatus!!... we've kissed you g'nite for the last time! Then we can move over to Afghanistan and their "purty new shiny pipeline" and not to mention their "purty new President" and "purty tidy sums" on the ever booming poppy trade... then a bit further south and you'll find Winston Churchills cute lil' sandbox...after him and his playmates got done drawin' their little lines criss crossin' that sandbox around the slippery black pools of ucka we get Iraq... with "no new purty shiny democracy" as yet but, with an extremely "purty Economy Plan" put in place by the occupiers and their crafty violent idea of "sho' is purty corporate takeover" then we read PNAC and and go "Aw shucks Jim Bob, now I get it" and Alexander Solzhenitzyn wasn't jokin' either... no joke man.

"A state of fear only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny."

and lots more in between.. for what we do know.. imagine what we don't... :roll:

how do you find a fraudster?
how do you find a murderer?
how do you find a rapist?
how do you find a kidnapper?
how do you find a thief?
how do you find a......
how do you find a .......

Cui Bono has been the technique since forever made famous by the Romans and is still used today.
MOTIVE in every sense... makes the world go round....