PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to learn more about Islam...

percy toboggan
18-Aug-06, 19:48
...so I did a 'google' - the uk option.
Search: befriend a muslim

I clicked on the fourth link offered. I was at first dismayed, then worried, then rather angry.
If any muslim in Caithness org. can explain why this unpleasant stuff is expounded then I'm all ears.

j4bberw0ck
18-Aug-06, 20:54
I''d agree. >>>Here's the link I got<<<. (http://www.edume.org/reports/10/21.htm)

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 20:59
Extradite all the extremists, whatever religion, to one country and leave them to rot.[evil]

rich
18-Aug-06, 21:07
Oh, dear, here we go again.
Haven't you ever heard of selective quoting?
Or possibly Mossad ( the Israeli intelligence agency) has something to do with the sudden avaialbility of this text.
These are murky waters, my friends.
If you want a right wing pro-Bush work on Islam then look no further then Bernard Lewis, dean emeritus of Western scholars of Islam.
You would find a lot there that would help in your argument.
See what a nice chap I am!
(You were really looking forward to finding out about Islam.....?)

percy toboggan
18-Aug-06, 21:17
I didn't think we could list links jabberwock.
Rich: you're peeing agin the wind mate, my mind is made up. I read what you write but it's an in one ear out the other job. Sorry. You live in a fools paradise, though you're not a fool, and Toronto is not paradise.

That's the best I can offer.

percy toboggan
18-Aug-06, 21:20
Incidentally I'm still up for befriending a muslim, if any are interested.
White male/GSOH/Married/Blue collar/fifty odd.

rich
18-Aug-06, 21:22
Saudi Arabia is an interesting deviant case in the Middle East. The country was taken over by Muslim evangelists whose relationship to the Koran was not unlike Pat Robinson's with the Bible. Having said that, the expansionist days of the Saudis are well and truly over.
And as we anti-war folk used to say about the Vietnam War - we'll fight when they reach Mexico. I think you are safe enough for a while yet.
But are you genuinely interested in finding out about Islam? Then I would suggest Bernard Lewis taken in conjunction with Edward Said and Tariq Ali has produced an autobiography that is a must read. Add to that the 7 Pillars of Wisdom and you should have some interesting reading ahead of you

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 21:36
Pat robinson, Mmmm, does god fight wars for anyone on this planet?

percy toboggan
18-Aug-06, 21:50
But are you genuinely interested in finding out about Islam? Then I would suggest Bernard Lewis taken in conjunction with Edward Said and Tariq Ali has produced an autobiography that is a must read. Add to that the 7 Pillars of Wisdom and you should have some interesting reading ahead of you

I'm interested in knowing what an ordinary everyday muslim thinks about the crimininal and murderous fanatics who are distorting their religion to wage terrorist war with western civilisation. That's all. I do not want to read books about Islam, I am afraid I'd be nodding off by page five.

Tariq Ali has been a pillock since even I was a young man - he is living in the wrong country, on the wrong planet. I do not want to converse with anyone to whom religion is a central pillar suporting their whole life. Including Christians. I find such reliance and slavish devotion is a barrier to real world conversation.Those who 'worship' or pray as a peripheral activity are much more interesting and much more communicative. Those muslims who do not worship at all are also welcome. There must be some lapsed ones surely. Or does Islam have such an iron grip?

Seriously, there must be some lapsed muslims like all those Christians who no longer go to church. Surely some have got lazy, or moved on a tad and no longer attend the mosque expect for weddings? Do muslims get married in a mosque? I dunno.

percy toboggan
18-Aug-06, 21:55
I hear tonight that 'martyrdom videos' have been found which feature some of the alleged conspirators to blow up airliners and kill innocent men, women and children.

If this is indeed true, it's as good as a confession.
We shall wait and see. The judicial process needs to get into gear quickly.There is no room for dalliance. I will be interested to hear what an ordinary, everyday muslim, in Caithness or elsewhere has to say about such tapes.

DrSzin
19-Aug-06, 01:53
I'm interested in knowing what an ordinary everyday muslim thinks about the crimininal and murderous fanatics who are distorting their religion to wage terrorist war with western civilisation. That's all. I do not want to read books about Islam, I am afraid I'd be nodding off by page five.Click on the first link in this post from yesterday (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=122691&postcount=83), or just click here (http://www.imaginate.uk.com/MCC01_SURVEY/Site%20Download.pdf).

MadPict
19-Aug-06, 03:27
Incidentally I'm still up for befriending a muslim, if any are interested.
White male/GSOH/Married/Blue collar/fifty odd.
GSOH? You need one round here!!! Collar? Don't wear one now, and I'm fifty-ish. S'pose a pint is out of order???

gleeber
19-Aug-06, 08:46
Tariq Ali has been a pillock since even I was a young man - he is living in the wrong country, on the wrong planet. I do not want to converse with anyone to whom religion is a central pillar suporting their whole life. Including Christians. I find such reliance and slavish devotion is a barrier to real world conversation.
Waste of time trying to converse with you then Percy.;)

katarina
19-Aug-06, 10:00
I'm interested in knowing what an ordinary everyday muslim thinks about the crimininal and murderous fanatics who are distorting their religion to wage terrorist war with western civilisation.

Probably the same as an ordinary everyday irish catholic thinks about the criminal and murderous antics of the IRA.

katarina
19-Aug-06, 10:11
Click on the first link in this post from yesterday (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=122691&postcount=83), or just click here (http://www.imaginate.uk.com/MCC01_SURVEY/Site%20Download.pdf).

That was interesting. Still think Australia got it right.