PDA

View Full Version : Homeguard WWII

Rheghead
18-Aug-06, 17:28
Does anyone know where the secret hideouts for the Homeguard were placed in Caithness?:confused

I saw a documentary on the TV about them and they were built all over the country in the event of invasion. I wondered if there are any still to be seen in the county?

Ask your older relatives if need be!:D

willowbankbear
18-Aug-06, 17:33
There are 2 lookout shelters still on the North Head there is what looks like an old demolished 1 at South Head, there are still concrete blocks around the Beaches to prevent invasion by tanks

Rheghead
18-Aug-06, 17:39
Thanks Willowbankbear but it is the hideouts that the Homeguard were supposed to retreat to and operate from once the invasion had started that I was most interested in. They would most likely have had an inland location where they could conceal their approach to. They were basically pits with a brick lining and a dragover door.

Ricco
18-Aug-06, 17:47
Hi, Rheghead.

There could be something of what you are looking for up along the Thurso river. Walk up the West bank well past the footbridge and the Salmon Pool. Keep going up towards the old swing bridge (if its still there) and somewhere up the bank is an old Anderson shelter buried in the side of the bank. You used to be able to get in (we used to shelter from the rain as kids) through the small entrance.

Of course, could be gone by now I guess.

Naefearjustbeer
19-Aug-06, 01:05
I think it is still there, There was an article in the groat a few years back that listed a lot of locations. Many are now long gone if I remember correctly. They were designed to keep an elite squad that would venture out on midnight skirmishes to weaken the enemy if we were ever invaded so they were well hidden.

Sairheed
19-Aug-06, 07:32
The article referred to above, as I recall, was by Geoff Leet or Thurso who, I think is an authority on the subject.

Saveman
19-Aug-06, 08:28
Hi Rheghead,

Part of my work for the Council has been on the HomeGuard during WWII.
It's all on http://www.ambaile.org.uk including secret memos etc. You should find what you are looking for on that site.

Phoebus_Apollo
19-Aug-06, 13:34
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/cgi-bin/webdata_roc.pl?cgifunction=Search&County=Caithness

This shows various underground observation posts in caithness - I recently visited the ROC post at duncansby head - you climb down a vent opening into an underground room!!

Rheghead
19-Aug-06, 16:28
Thanks very much for the info, I will take a look! I think the Homeguard was an important part of our history and a culturally fascinating one at that.