PDA

View Full Version : Air Discount Scheme

charlie
04-Jan-11, 01:12
I thought I might have seen a bit more debate about the plans for the ADS regarding this from the Groat - or did I miss it over the festive season?

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/9059/Business_anger_at_air_discount_scheme_change.html

My first thoughts are similar to the article question.

How can they possibly legislate between business and personal trips??
I just can't see how that can be done.

How many of you make use of the ADS?
Thoughts and comments??

Kevin Milkins
04-Jan-11, 01:57
I have been a member of the scheme for over three years and I still have yet to find a flight going out of Wick going to anywhere that I would need to go that would represent value for money.

theone
04-Jan-11, 01:57
Interesting, I don't know how they can differentiate between business and personal trips. Perhaps when the business use it an expense to be written off against tax?

I use the ADS once a month, but to be honest I'm not sure if it makes so much of a difference.

Before ADS, Wick to Aberdeen return was around the £100 mark. ADS came in, the prices all rose, and I still payed around £100 after the 40% discount.

The airlines know what people are willing to spend and will always make the most they can.

A better system, in my opinion, would be to remove the "taxes and charges" from the cost of the ticket. These are currently £43.50 of the cost of the flight and not subject to the discount. The fare is £85 less £34 discount. What's the point in charging us £43.50 in tax just to hand £34 back???

orkneycadian
04-Jan-11, 10:19
Hardly ever fly these days, ADS or otherwise. They have gone so overboard with security at Kirkwall airport, the hassle factor is hardly worth it. Next, they are trying to introduce parking charges. So far, its been deferred, but if they do, then it'll be easier (and a lot cheaper) to simply take the Pentalina and drive down.

Recently, I had cause to go to Derbyshire for a business trip. To fly, would have meant leaving Orkney at about 7 am, and getting into East Midlands about half past 3, then trying to figure out public transport / taxis to get from airport to hotel to meeting to hotel to meeting to airport. Instead, I went on the Pentalina and drove down. Even with just 1 person in the car, the cost of ferry, petrol and running costs were still less than the airfare (with ADS), I left Orkney at 0800 and arrived in Derbyshire about 1900, just a few hours later than I would have had I flown. I had the use of the car to get from hotel to meeting, as well as a few extra things when I was down there. I didn't have to mess around with photo ID to get on the Pentalina, I didn't have to have an internal examination at the airport in case I was carrying knitting needles to while away the 6 hour connection in Aberdeen and no deep vein thrombosis' were sustained due to sitting with knees at chin!

They say at Kirkwall, the minimum number of people required to operate the security room alone is 7.

Someone else here in Orkney (a private pilot) regularly quotes that the fire service at Kirkwall airport have never put out a fire they didn't light themselves.

No wonder flying costs so much these days, and why the "taxes and charges" element is so significant!

Thumper
04-Jan-11, 11:30
well I for one wouldnt be complaining about the fire service practising,what happens when there IS a real fire and they arent up to speed? Just because it hasnt happened,doesnt mean it wont happen at some point!
As for ADS I have used it,a few times, and my son uses it to come home from Uni,and he has managed to get really cheap fares,although to be fair you do have to book well in advance for that!x

orkneycadian
04-Jan-11, 11:47
I don't think the private pilot I was quoting has a problem with them practising. Its the cost of maintaining them on permanent standby that he has issue with. Even the firefighters at Kirkwall Fire Station are not on permanent standby (and being paid to be), yet are still able to provide the required level of fire cover.

Firefighters in Kirkwall, Stromness and all the other stations around Orkney work on a retained basis, and get called out when needed. And they have put out thousands, if not more of genuine fires over the years. This pilot is keen to remind me when I speak with him, how little fires they put out at the airport, yet have a permanent presence (just in case), and how much that affects the landing charges.

I guess we need to bear that in mind when complaining how much it costs to fly from a HIAL airport! That and the cost of at least 7 knitting needle checkers!

onecalledk
04-Jan-11, 15:29
I have flown from Wick airport a few times over the past year and have the ADS card and fully agree that any cost is eaten up by the charges that are added on. Edinburgh airport charges are horrendous and totally negate the discount. I have managed to get a good discount but that entailed booking the flight 3 months in advance. It worked out that I hadnt worked the flight back in with another connecting flight. ASking at the desk if I could change the booking to the day after I was quoted £85 to change the ticket, that was more than the cost of the whole trip. The flight times are not very good and of course you land in Edinburgh and not Glasgow in the central belt. Am still quite astounded that you cannot fly from inverness to glasgow AT ALL.

It works for me it if it is just me that is flying (and I have the crystal ball that tells me I need a flight in 6 months) , saves the hassle of fuel, driving down etc but it is not economical if more than one person is travelling. Saw advertised that you can fly to europe for £22 inc taxes..pity I dont need to go to europe......

The ADS scheme may well have been a good idea in principal but it doesnt work, the 40% discount should be off the WHOLE ticket..... but then airlines should have clearer advertising all round. Last year I booked Aberdeen to London Gatwick, £10 each way, until you add the taxes, the ticket came in at £120 return. So why advertise the flight at £10 and that was a good 6 months in advance. Will never book to fly from Aberdeen airport ever again, not even a cuppa and a biscuit on the flight without a huge charge... Aberdeen may well have an oil industry but we are not all paid by them or part of it!!!!!!

The article of course explains why we were quizzed by lady doing survey in Gatwick airport about why we were travelling, business etc and when we had booked, where we were from etc etc ....... hmmmmmmmmm

K

K

Thumper
04-Jan-11, 21:14
My son flew up on 21st december for £21 from Edinburgh,so there are savings to be made x

The Happy Humanist
04-Jan-11, 23:34
I flew down and back to marry a couple in the Botanic gardens in Edinburgh in October and it was just over £60 return including taxes. I had a good trip, the staff were lovely, the airport bus to Edinburgh was only £6 return and great fun and even in security we had a wee laugh about my cheap chunky jewellery setting off the buzzers!
Sorry to hear other folk have had such bad experiences as I've been recommending it to many.