PDA

View Full Version : Advice on how to introduce a cat to the outdoors

Tatbabe
03-Jan-11, 15:27
hi everyone.

I have a cat that's been with me for just over three weeks now. he was used to go out sometimes at his previous home and sometimes sits at the back door wanting to go out.

problem is, I can't seem to be able to fit a cat flap to the door due to the door's construction so I was thinking of letting him out opening the door and letting him back in when he gets back if I can manage to make himself known when he's at the back door.

I can't let him out through the windows - again due to the construction of them and that there's no level window sill.

would appreciate any advice on this as I would like him to be outside.

Beat Bug
03-Jan-11, 16:21
If he's been with you for a few weeks, he should be OK going outside. Next time he asks, open the door and let him out. Go out with him, and watch where he goes. He'll soon get used to it, and find his way home again. We moved house 3 times in a year with 2 cats, aged 10 and 9, and on each occasion both were OK after a few weeks. Cats are independent creatures, and know where their food is!

Dadie
03-Jan-11, 16:23
Let him out before mealtimes..he will come back for dinner!
Have him collared and chipped as a back up!

Tatbabe
03-Jan-11, 22:15
thanks folks.

what about cats who have never been outdoors - will they find their way back?

guess all cats are fine when it's dark regarding finding their way back ...?

purplelady
04-Jan-11, 00:08
Cats are pretty good about knowing where they live and come back they do not go far to start with x

Vistravi
04-Jan-11, 01:39
thanks folks.

what about cats who have never been outdoors - will they find their way back?

guess all cats are fine when it's dark regarding finding their way back ...?

My cat had never been out before she managed to escape out a window in curiosity. She did come back the next day though scratching the window at 2 am to get let back in. Ever since she's been going out and coming back. She even has a few other cats come calling for her at times lol.

As long as they know their home well and i think knows what the outside looks like from the inside they come back.

chaz
04-Jan-11, 10:32
When we moved our cats i left the door open after a few days so they could wander in and out, just not practical if its a foul day tho lol

Tatbabe
04-Jan-11, 21:02
Hi.

Let him out around 2pm today and he showed up around 7pm ...
Got a bit worried because I never had an outdoor cat but am relieved he found his way back!

Thanks everybody.