PDA

View Full Version : Solar eclipse sun rise

dafi
03-Jan-11, 04:08
The solar eclipse is coming!!

On tusday morning the sun will rise about 8.45 partialy eclipsed by the shadow of the moon. The recent lunar eclipse was a spectacular event and this next one looks set to eclipse even that...if you will forgive the pun.

Fingers crossed for a clear morning and a good view of the horizon!!

orkneycadian
03-Jan-11, 11:13
In Orkney, in January, the sun usually rises fully eclipsed by the clouds!

northener
03-Jan-11, 12:08
Hang on a minute.

If the sun was eclipsing at sunrise...how would you know it is happening?

Stargazer
03-Jan-11, 12:20
There is an astronomy event this evening in the Castletown Heritage centre. Also an eclipse viewing event too. See the Caithness Science Association pages here > http://www.caithness-science.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=54

Mystical Potato Head
03-Jan-11, 13:19
Hang on a minute.

If the sun was eclipsing at sunrise...how would you know it is happening?

As it rises above the horizon it will be partially eclipsed.

dafi
03-Jan-11, 14:24
There is an astronomy event this evening in the Castletown Heritage centre. Also an eclipse viewing event too. See the Caithness Science Association pages here > http://www.caithness-science.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=54

Thats fantastic stargazer, I wish we had a group like it on this side of the water!!

Good luck with the viewing folks!!

Stack Rock
03-Jan-11, 23:23
I hope I'm not being too pedantic. The sunrise for Wick tomorrow is 9.00 GMT & sets 15.35.
Lets pray that the sky is clear.

Mister Squiggle
04-Jan-11, 00:08
Just wanted to add to this thread, we went to the Stargazing evening held by the Caithness Astronomy Group tonight at Castlehill and it was absolutely magic - so well presented and a fantastic night. Thanks so much to those who organised it - a very enjoyable (and informative) evening. Well done all.

Mystical Potato Head
04-Jan-11, 03:15
I hope I'm not being too pedantic. The sunrise for Wick tomorrow is 9.00 GMT & sets 15.35.
Lets pray that the sky is clear.

The eclipse starts at 6.40, will be at its greatest at around the time it rises and will end about 11.

Mr P Cannop
04-Jan-11, 09:31
has anyone seen this yet this morning ??

soccermom
04-Jan-11, 10:30
Awesome view from Duncansby Head just now!

seadog
04-Jan-11, 17:04
We saw the eclipsse this morning about 25 minutes after sailing from Scrabster on the Hamnavoe. We used the shaded glasses on an azimuth bearing ring to view as the sun was too bright to look at directly. Did take some photos with a digital camera but not downloaded yet so not sure how they came out. Time was 09:08.

astroman
05-Jan-11, 10:18
Just wanted to add to this thread, we went to the Stargazing evening held by the Caithness Astronomy Group tonight at Castlehill and it was absolutely magic - so well presented and a fantastic night. Thanks so much to those who organised it - a very enjoyable (and informative) evening. Well done all.

Delighted you enjoyed it Mister Squiggle. It always helps when the clouds clear allowing the dark starry skies we have in the north of Scotland to be seen at their best. Add in a few bright meteors and it makes braving the cold worthwhile :D

For those that missed the eclipse on the 4th there are a few pics at http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?132019-Solar-eclipse