PDA

View Full Version : Och, just getting a bit fed-up now....

cherokee
02-Jan-11, 20:34
I'm a wee bitty scunnered now with this Forum........;)

In,Oot,In Oot; are we off or aren't we..................???? :roll:

golach
02-Jan-11, 20:40
Instead of moaning about the Org, just be thankful, it comes on even intermittently, keep up the good work Bill :Razz

cherokee
02-Jan-11, 20:42
I always have loved you G (And A Very Happy New Year to You Too XXX!!!!!) !!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Lang may your lum reek !!! :eek:

snow tiger
02-Jan-11, 21:17
It is getting rather annoying

Commore
02-Jan-11, 21:21
I'm a wee bitty scunnered now with this Forum........;)

In,Oot,In Oot; are we off or aren't we..................???? :roll:

Ditto! I am oot more than in, it's too much to ask of the average joe blogg.........:(

trix
02-Jan-11, 21:35
I always have loved you G

dis he hev 'at effect on ye too???? :D

cherokee
02-Jan-11, 21:38
QUOTE=trix;804572]dis he hev 'at effect on ye too???? :D[/QUOTE]

Aye Trix, I just love him to pieces (arms,legs, torso........... :mad::eek: ........?

golach
02-Jan-11, 21:40
Keep looking trix, :eek: I have told you before, I am FED UP, not hard up [disgust]

trix
02-Jan-11, 21:58
Keep looking trix, :eek: I have told you before, I am FED UP, not hard up [disgust]

i da want yer love goally....i prefer wur relationship lek 'iss, gies ye more an edge aboot ye.

its beyond ma control, i cana help ma feelins toward ye...ye cana stop'ed so dina fecht'ed. i stopt tryin a long time ago - submissiveness ;) x x x

gleeber
02-Jan-11, 22:09
I miss the org too. It's become a kind of surrogette comforter. I would miss it if it was gone. Golach too and the rest have all become a part of my cyber life. I widna go as far to say I love any of you but theres some are more lovable than others. :lol:
I like to think of it as history on the hoof. If the doomers and gloomers are wrong and we dont wipe ourselves out in the next few hundred years the internets going to be as much a part of human nature as human nature itself.

cherokee
02-Jan-11, 22:21
I miss the org too. It's become a kind of surrogette comforter. I would miss it if it was gone. Golach too and the rest have all become a part of my cyber life. I widna go as far to say I love any of you but theres some are more lovable than others. :lol:
I like to think of it as history on the hoof. If the doomers and gloomers are wrong and we dont wipe ourselves out in the next few hundred years the internets going to be as much a part of human nature as human nature itself.

Well said Gleeber, but I'd still lek the "Org" to be a wee bitty more consistant than it is at the moment ? :confused:

shazzap
02-Jan-11, 22:51
This is not a complaint, but does anyone know. Why the org is taking so long to load and is very slow.

htwood
02-Jan-11, 23:24
We get what we pay for...the fun of the Org costs us nothing day in and day out. Guess it's a testament to how much we enjoy it that we go batty when it's not instantly available. I'm thankful it exists at all.

htwood
02-Jan-11, 23:26
Senior Member....what the.......? Now I'm feelin owld.

shazzap
02-Jan-11, 23:29
Iv'e just noticed that ( senior memeber ):eek: What's all that about. lol[lol]

Colin Manson
02-Jan-11, 23:31
I've no idea why the server went down or what they are having to do to fit it but it might be a bit 'up and down' and slow until the issue is resolved. I'd guess that the server has been hacked by someone that speaks arabic.

John Little
02-Jan-11, 23:42
As a guest in this hoose I do not grumble about the decor or whether the door is open or not. I'm glad it's there to pop in to, I'm glad for the welcome and think the hospitality is pure Caithness.

golach
02-Jan-11, 23:46
Many thanks Gleeber, I am proud that you hold me in such high esteem as to mention myself as being a part of your cyber life. I am astounded I alone was singled out for such an award, I am sure that there are many others more worthy of this distinction

orkneycadian
03-Jan-11, 11:07
Its a good job then that its no used for essential things like finding out what time the baker is open, or for old dears snowed in to post their SOS messages! ;)

Metalattakk
03-Jan-11, 11:30
I've no idea why the server went down or what they are having to do to fit it but it might be a bit 'up and down' and slow until the issue is resolved. I'd guess that the server has been hacked by someone that speaks arabic.

Or the extra traffic caused by hosting all the Hogmanay photographs on the same server as the forum and website, is making the host server creak under the stress.

Why aren't the photos hosted on an external, dedicated image hosting site like photobucket.com?

shazzap
03-Jan-11, 12:28
Its a good job then that its no used for essential things like finding out what time the baker is open, or for old dears snowed in to post their SOS messages! ;)

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllppppppppppppppp SOS [lol][lol]

Ricco
03-Jan-11, 14:34
Or the extra traffic caused by hosting all the Hogmanay photographs on the same server as the forum and website, is making the host server creak under the stress.

Why aren't the photos hosted on an external, dedicated image hosting site like photobucket.com?

Quite - me ol' Metal. Considering the period required to settle in the new software and the org's popularity it seems to survive remarkably well. It might be an idea if there was some way of remiinding orgers of threads they posted long ago so that they could close them. I assume that a closed thread ceases to exist and is deleted from the server?

Bill, any threads created by me before October 2010 can be deleted forthwith. :)

gleeber
03-Jan-11, 19:21
Many thanks Gleeber, I am proud that you hold me in such high esteem as to mention myself as being a part of your cyber life. I am astounded I alone was singled out for such an award, I am sure that there are many others more worthy of this distinction

Don't get carried away Golach.
I dont hold you in high esteem. You alone wernt singled out although I mentioned you and your right there are plenty others would be worthy of my praise, before you, were I offering it.
Do you think I'm behaving beyond my station? Perhaps you will elaborate a wee bit? It's been a while since you played this card and in the past, out of respect for someone older than myself and sense of discretion for my surroundings and an appreciation towards the owners of the org, I never challenged you.
No more though. You've had your day.
Down to you short arse! [lol]

Bill Fernie
03-Jan-11, 21:46
Just adding another apology for the loss of service - always hits seemingly at times of holiday when few folk are available to fix things.

It seems that once again we were vicitims of the web sites growing use and audience. Despite the fact that we recently moved over to our own server it appears that the allocated resources were insufficient to deal with the ever increasing traffic. We have been informed that the server appears to be performing better now that another processor and another 1.5Gb of RAM (total now 3Gb) have been allocated.

There may be some issues with regard to the new set up on the forum and Colin and Niall are looking in to ways of tweaking things.

I know there are suggestions around regarding removing older threads and using other sites to host photos. However I am keen to try and keep as much as possible within Caithness.org for historical reasons of searching and not to lose items that may be held elsewhere. There are a number of other reasons for doing this.

Niall will discuss with our hosting company whether there are further ways in which to safeguard the set up and to ensure that we don't slow down in future.

Of course all of this comes at increased cost. However I am not too concerned about that as we have sufficent revenue from advertising to cover these costs. It still makes sense to try and keep costs under control.

We will be examining further enhancements to the forum to see if these could be added and what further affects they would have possibly on speeds and other factors

In many respects I am still with the help of Niall and Colin running a long term experiment to see how many free resources we can offer whilst at the same time covering the increasing costs of running it. My basic idea was from the start not to accept grants or subsidies for the project but to make it pay for itself and turn it to be self sustaining for the long-term. In so doing to make it possible for the whole community to have a way to get their information out. Individuals, voluntary groups and the business community and by so doing make everyone better off in some way by allowing low costs or free services to make life easier for all. Free advertising for voluntary groups, employers job ads, business index, property ads and so on. All of this designed to mean everyone has more money to spend on other things or reduce running costs and thereby make them more likely to be sustainable. It is a complex set of ideas I have been evolving over the 10 years of our existence and there many more ideas that dovetail into it all. But the main thrust is that it would make Caithness people, businesses and organisations more successful and the county would become more widely known and appreciated. I as much as anyone saw the disappearance of the name of Caithness as we were all engulfed in amorphous Highland region. To that end part of what the web site was about was to shout "Caithness" to the world.

After 10 years I think I can now say there is some success but I do realise that it comes with some responsibility to try and maintain services that the community values. For any deficiencies in outages and slower speeds at times I apologise. We are continuing to try and address these problems. Hopefully we are back to a better speed for a while and further server issues will be sorted out.

So once again apologies for the outages and I hope you will all bear with us if we at anytime in the future are over-whelmed with increased traffic that seemingly never stops heading upwards. I hope that with all of your help out there we can continue to reflect what a great place Caithness is.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the web site - forum members, voluntary groups and businesses and everyone else who looks in from the Caithness diaspora around Scotland, the UK and the world - its a huge privilege to me to be able to facilitate this with the help of Niall, Colin and the mods. Thanks to you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR 2011.

gleeber
03-Jan-11, 21:57
I feel ashamed that such an interesting thread from Bill should be preceded by my poke at poor Golach. Let me apoligise to the org, but I'm not aploigising to golach.
Caithness.orgs a fantastic site. You guys have built a unique website. Congratulations.

Metalattakk
04-Jan-11, 04:08
Bill,

There's no doubt that caithness.org is a fantastic resource, and I congratulate and thank all those who facilitate it.

But, the fact is that every time there are photos of major local activities - be it the Mod, the Galas or the Hogmanay parties - hosted on the site, the server invariably falls over.

The simple answer is to remove the problem at source. Host the photos externally. The integrity can still be kept by creating dedicated Photobucket (other image hosting sites are available ;)) albums and backing up all the files to CD/DVD, or even to an external USB HDD.

I'm quite sure that in your discussions with your hosting company, these options will be recommended to you, if they already have not.

And, it will be a much cheaper solution than increasing the site's bandwidth to cover the demand.

northener
04-Jan-11, 10:24
Just adding another apology for the loss of service - always hits seemingly at times of holiday when few folk are available to fix things.

It seems that once again we were vicitims of the web sites growing use and audience. Despite the fact that we recently moved over to our own server it appears that the allocated resources were insufficient to deal with the ever increasing traffic. We have been informed that the server appears to be performing better now that another processor and another 1.5Gb of RAM (total now 3Gb) have been allocated.

There may be some issues with regard to the new set up on the forum and Colin and Niall are looking in to ways of tweaking things.

I know there are suggestions around regarding removing older threads and using other sites to host photos. However I am keen to try and keep as much as possible within Caithness.org for historical reasons of searching and not to lose items that may be held elsewhere. There are a number of other reasons for doing this.

Niall will discuss with our hosting company whether there are further ways in which to safeguard the set up and to ensure that we don't slow down in future.

Of course all of this comes at increased cost. However I am not too concerned about that as we have sufficent revenue from advertising to cover these costs. It still makes sense to try and keep costs under control.

We will be examining further enhancements to the forum to see if these could be added and what further affects they would have possibly on speeds and other factors

In many respects I am still with the help of Niall and Colin running a long term experiment to see how many free resources we can offer whilst at the same time covering the increasing costs of running it. My basic idea was from the start not to accept grants or subsidies for the project but to make it pay for itself and turn it to be self sustaining for the long-term. In so doing to make it possible for the whole community to have a way to get their information out. Individuals, voluntary groups and the business community and by so doing make everyone better off in some way by allowing low costs or free services to make life easier for all. Free advertising for voluntary groups, employers job ads, business index, property ads and so on. All of this designed to mean everyone has more money to spend on other things or reduce running costs and thereby make them more likely to be sustainable. It is a complex set of ideas I have been evolving over the 10 years of our existence and there many more ideas that dovetail into it all. But the main thrust is that it would make Caithness people, businesses and organisations more successful and the county would become more widely known and appreciated. I as much as anyone saw the disappearance of the name of Caithness as we were all engulfed in amorphous Highland region. To that end part of what the web site was about was to shout "Caithness" to the world.

After 10 years I think I can now say there is some success but I do realise that it comes with some responsibility to try and maintain services that the community values. For any deficiencies in outages and slower speeds at times I apologise. We are continuing to try and address these problems. Hopefully we are back to a better speed for a while and further server issues will be sorted out.

So once again apologies for the outages and I hope you will all bear with us if we at anytime in the future are over-whelmed with increased traffic that seemingly never stops heading upwards. I hope that with all of your help out there we can continue to reflect what a great place Caithness is.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the web site - forum members, voluntary groups and businesses and everyone else who looks in from the Caithness diaspora around Scotland, the UK and the world - its a huge privilege to me to be able to facilitate this with the help of Niall, Colin and the mods. Thanks to you all and HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR 2011.

Never mind all that, Bill. I've got more important posts to make.

Are the buses running today?:Razz