PDA

View Full Version : kitchen knifes

opel
31-Dec-10, 19:28
can any 1 tell me were i can get some top quality kitchen knifes from in caithness.not the cheap 1s.cheers

Dadie
31-Dec-10, 19:33
I have seen sabatier knives for sale in Serindipity (what was Souters) and in Tescos.
They are not cheap rubbish, and last.
They sharpen up well and keep a good edge....but the handle may be a bit on the short side for some.
Some of Tescos cook range of knives are ok..

changilass
31-Dec-10, 20:06
I'm with Dadie on this one.

Sabatier from Souters, got most of ours as wedding gifts back in 2002 and they are still going strong or should that be sharp.

poppett
31-Dec-10, 20:11
Caithness Livestock breeders shop on Sir Archibald Road in Thurso have some lovely kitchen stuff, plus quality pans, knives etc., and reasonably priced for brand names.

opel
31-Dec-10, 20:19
i will pay up 2 £100 for a good set

Dadie
31-Dec-10, 20:29
I have more expensive knives in my kitchen (as well as cheap ones) but its always the sabatier knives I go for first!
Sometimes the price doesnt reflect the quality.
You could usually pick up a 5 piece set for around £70...but get a steel as well to keep them sharp.
I have a large expensive set of knives, but, they dont have the same flex in them..the blades seem thicker and although I dont hate them..they are just not as nice to use.

Red
03-Jan-11, 00:38
I have a set of Sabatier knives (there are different kinds and makes of Sabatier, not all are as good as they ought to be, I think the Stellar Sabatier are the imitation ones). They are adequate for most domestic kitchen use, but if you intend to do lots of knife work, I'd advise you to upgrade on two or three knives to a really decent set such as Global. Whichever set you get, make sure you sharpen them everytime you use them and never wash in a dishwasher as they lose their sharpness really quickly.

cullpacket
03-Jan-11, 02:08
Have to argree have gone through a few knives and ended up with just a few I.O.Shen keep there edge a lot longer than any other I have used, Good to feel the weight and the balance before you buy.

lindsaymcc
03-Jan-11, 02:32
I agree with Red. Global are the best knives around. Hubby was a chef, and swore by his globals (until some (insert expletive) stole them)

cullpacket
03-Jan-11, 10:28
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/nov/18/shopping.foodanddrink

Dog-eared
07-Jan-11, 21:38
Even if you have cheaper knives the secret is to be able to sharpen them quickly and easily.
I heartily recommend the wee pocket sized "Blade-Tech " ceramic sharpener. Easy to use and excellent results for a simple device.
A fantastic , well made bit of kit, and cheap.

Red
08-Jan-11, 17:49
I know the OP wanted to buy knives in Caithness but I was in "Farm and Household Stores" in Inverness during the week and they've got a 20% sale and their Global knives are reduced to half price so you can get a really good bargain if you wanted to travel a bit further afield.

Northern Sands
09-Jan-11, 20:14
I dont rate the Global knives, think they are very over priced and a bit gimicky!! Wouldnt go past Sabatier for value for money, an excellent middle range knive and for £100 you would get a good starter set. On saying that I mainly use Victorinox knives very cheap but as long as you keep a good edge on them they are perfect.