PDA

View Full Version : sky tv scam

dunderheed
18-Aug-06, 08:10
BEWARE - Sky tv scam

Credit Card Fraud Scam Targets Sky TV Customers

Early Warning the online fraud prevention company have just discovered a new type of scam which directly targets Sky TV Customers

How the fraud works

1. Members of the public receive a pre recorded telephone call asking if there is Sky TV in your property,

2. A week or so later you receive a telephone call from a fraudster saying he works for Sky TV and that your Sky subscription has not been paid and would you like to pay for it over the telephone by credit card as your Sky TV is about to be turned off.

If you fall for this scam your credit card details are then in the hands of Fraudsters who can use your card over the Internet / Mail order to buy goods or they can create a card that can be used abroad to withdraw money from your account.

Sky TV were unaware of this scam.

Early warnings advice is as follows

1 If you receive a call from any company asking for payment by credit card over the telephone. Decline their request and ask them to put the request to you in writing.

2 Members of the public should check each and every bank statement they received to make sure they are aware of every transaction shown on their statement. You should contact your bank immediately if you find any transaction you are unsure about.

Comments: Andrew Goodwill, Managing Director of Early Warning: "This scam was tried on me. Luckily I did not fall for it. It all sounded very genuine. It was only that I knew I had paid my subscription to sky recently that it did not ring true"

So be warned.