PDA

View Full Version : Somerfield Wick

burstbucker
17-Aug-06, 22:28
Is anyone else fed up of coming home from Somerfield in Wick to find that their produce has mould on it and that has still not reached its sell by date? This has happened to me four times recently, its little wonder that less and less people are going there.

connieb19
17-Aug-06, 22:31
I was more fed up coming home and a lot of stuff being out of date. I had cheese one day that was a month out of date. I'm more careful now and check the dates on everything.

Foxy
18-Aug-06, 00:48
i had a packet of fresh prawns form somerfield which were 3 days from there date and when i opened them the smell was awful, won't be having them again.

bigjjuk
18-Aug-06, 09:41
i agree i have has this problem with there bread, it is in date but has mould on it, i store it correctly so its not that reason.

sweep
18-Aug-06, 10:31
i have had this problem with a couple of things, coleslaw was well in date and had gone all fizzy and bread mouldy.

Billy Boy
18-Aug-06, 10:35
i have a mate who got baby food in a jar from the thurso store that was a month out of date.
sad that the dates arent being checked by the staff when filling the shelves[disgust]

misty woman
18-Aug-06, 12:17
I never go near the place now because i got fed-up with their fruit growing furry coats before it could be eaten.

obiron
18-Aug-06, 14:41
Is anyone else fed up of coming home from Somerfield in Wick to find that their produce has mould on it and that has still not reached its sell by date? This has happened to me four times recently, its little wonder that less and less people are going there.

might be just a bit obvious but do you not check the quality of fruit before you put it in your trolley???
you can always put it back to the shop.

willowbankbear
18-Aug-06, 16:49
What a bunch of whingers ye lot are, remember the next time you eat something,how lucky you only had to nip to a shop to buy it.
At least there is food for you to buy, millions in this world are starving, think of that next time.[disgust]

Royster1911
18-Aug-06, 16:57
Ahh, so when you/ your partner/ children get home with the steaks which you find to be a little over-ripe you say, hey, never mind. Think of etc etc. Aye, right....[lol]

bigjjuk
18-Aug-06, 17:17
willowbanker, this place is a forum, its where you discuss things and thats what we are doing, we all recognise the plight of the unfortunate. We however are in the situation where we can complain about goods which are promised at a standard and not supplied as promised.

mccaugm
18-Aug-06, 17:23
i have a mate who got baby food in a jar from the thurso store that was a month out of date.
sad that the dates arent being checked by the staff when filling the shelves[disgust]

I worked for Somerfield in Invergordon years ago and our boss would have had our heads on a stick if we didn't rotate goods on shelves. This also went for perishable goods.

willowbankbear
18-Aug-06, 17:30
Ahh, so when you/ your partner/ children get home with the steaks which you find to be a little over-ripe you say, hey, never mind. Think of etc etc. Aye, right....[lol]

Thats why we go to Harrolds, pretty decent meat there bud, I recommend it.;)

Billy Boy
18-Aug-06, 17:36
What a bunch of whingers ye lot are, remember the next time you eat something,how lucky you only had to nip to a shop to buy it.
At least there is food for you to buy, millions in this world are starving, think of that next time.[disgust]
so what are you saying that you would be happy to buy mouldy food then ????

willowbankbear
18-Aug-06, 17:43
Didnt say that now, but if yer so unhappy take the mouldy stuff back to the shop, cant say weve had dodgy goods from Somerfields.

Murchiemannie
18-Aug-06, 17:47
I hope all you people who have bought inferior products from the store in question ie: goods not fit for human consumption because of the mouldy state, go straight back and complain to the Manager. Obviously the staff are Not checking the dates properly.
I know customers are prone to reaching into the back for the newer dates and therefore the front ones get mixed up, but the staff when shelf filling should be checking as they go along.
In this day no products should be sold like that.

Bradcon
18-Aug-06, 17:48
should not be a l in the place u shop in willowcelt[lol]

Billy Boy
18-Aug-06, 17:51
Didnt say that now, but if yer so unhappy take the mouldy stuff back to the shop, cant say weve had dodgy goods from Somerfields.

anytime i have seen mouldy goods i have brought it to their attention, and i always check the dates on goods before buying them. its not only in somerfields either i have noticed this in plenty of other shops too.

badger
18-Aug-06, 19:37
I always take goods back, which is a pain where I live so I phone when I find the shopping I'm unpacking is off and explain I won't be back straightaway or might even have to go to the other branch (i.e. bought in Wick, return to Thurso). They never mind and usually I get money back plus replacement. Hate to be cynical but suspect they just don't care - it's not their money. However careful you are when buying it's not always possible to check. Bought a punnet of peaches once which looked fine on top but couldn't see through the punnet and the ones on the bottom were yuck. Often see staff standing chatting while shelves are empty or a mess and wonder if there's any management supervision.

rainbow
18-Aug-06, 21:26
I got turkey a few years ago, and when I opened it it was minging. I took it back to be told by a butcher that they were having real problems with their freezers/fridges breaking down. I got a full refund, but if I had taped this conversation I am sure the Environmental Health would have closed it down.

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 21:28
I am sure they have complaints procedures, why not try that route first before the c.org as typing complaints on here wont do much good bar give the company a bad reputation and if they don't know there's a problem they wont be able to sort it.

obiron
18-Aug-06, 21:30
if the shop is that bad best thing to do really is shop elsewhere. we have a choice albeit a bit limited the now. can always go to the co-op or lidls.

crashbandicoot1979
18-Aug-06, 21:30
Can't say I've ever had a problem with Somerfield (Thurso store), but I would definitely take something back if it was mouldy/off/whatever. I would have thought they should be rotating stock, but then I know nowt about working in a supermarket.

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 21:32
Can't say I've ever had a problem with Somerfield (Thurso store), but I would definitely take something back if it was mouldy/off/whatever. I would have thought they should be rotating stock, but then I know nowt about working in a supermarket.
Rotating stock is the basics, there should be no problem there.

emszxr
18-Aug-06, 22:07
not somerfields, but the co-op in brora, i bought some nectarines a few weeks back that came in a box, they looked fine on top, but got home and the ones on the bottom of the box were mouldy and furry. took them back and got refund and was told that they get loads of returned fruit and veg cause it is mouldy and bad. why put it on the shelf then.

pultneytooner
18-Aug-06, 22:22
not somerfields, but the co-op in brora, i bought some nectarines a few weeks back that came in a box, they looked fine on top, but got home and the ones on the bottom of the box were mouldy and furry. took them back and got refund and was told that they get loads of returned fruit and veg cause it is mouldy and bad. why put it on the shelf then.
Obviously as you said they look fine on top.

willowbankbear
18-Aug-06, 22:35
Give them a break Its not the shop assistants fault is it? How many times do they restack the fruit & veg in a supermarket in a day? Have ye thought about that? Ok theres going to be at least 1 dodgy sale.
These things have always happened, Check it yourselves just to be sure, Or just dont buy it- problem solved:roll:

sweep
19-Aug-06, 10:14
rotating the stock is one thing, but buying a product that is well away from its sell buy date and finding it is already off and unfit to use, is another. that is a factory/manufacturer issue!

bagpuss
19-Aug-06, 23:14
Cheer up- Tesco will be here soon