PDA

View Full Version : Rooster attack

porshiepoo
30-Dec-10, 12:03
Anyone know how to stop a Rooster attacking people?

Our Rooster has taken to attacking us since we increased his harem of hens from 1 to 4.
It's getting quite bad now and yesterday I barely got out the coop without my skin in shreds.
It doesn't back down neither, it just keeps on coming at ya.

Worst thing is that this Rooster is so small his name is 'chicken little'. lol. It's a tad embarrassing!
We've never had an aggressive Rooster before, all our others have always been friendly. Unfortunately the last one was killed by a Fox and so we decided to get 'chicken little'. Evil is the only word to describe it.

Don't get me wrong I know it's only doing its job and protecting its Hens but it won't even let the Hens come to us now and they're so friendly they want attention.

Any ideas on how to stop the Rooster attack?

Dadie
30-Dec-10, 12:12
Put him in the pot!;)
Or lock him in for a wee while, while you tend to the hens?
Or take a big brush in so he can attack that instead of you..and you can use it to defend yourself by pushing him away...not hitting him with it!

sids
30-Dec-10, 12:13
I've never heard of anyone training a cock to behave better.

I think you have to replace him.

Interesting Americanism:

Word Origin & History

rooster
1772, from roost (earlier roost cock, 1606), in sense of "the roosting bird," favored in the U.S. as a puritan alternative to cock (and compare roach).

chaz
30-Dec-10, 14:45
some say picking him up and carring around with him facing backwards, ours used to attack but has settled and stopped just befor we were going to put him in the pot, always carried a broom and never turned our back on him when he was like this.

oakley2007
30-Dec-10, 21:43
ring his neck and get a new one , there is always people giving them away as most are surplus to requirements

balto
31-Dec-10, 00:50
i was attacked by one when i was younger and it has led to a fear of all birds, my god i satill mind it lek it was yesterday.

porshiepoo
31-Dec-10, 10:42
I'm really reluctant to ring its neck Oakley as it's a gorgeous looking bird - albeit small lol- and I got it from someone giving them away on the org.

The annoying thing is that we had 4 Cockerels last year, all friendly, but we had to re-home them as we only needed one. The one we kept was amazing but was eaten by a fox. Now we're left with Chicken little.

Think I'll try taking an Umbrella in with me. Opening that up when he attacks may just mimic what he does when fluffs his neck feathers out!

Carole
31-Dec-10, 12:24
Had this problem with a bantam in the past. Like an earlier poster suggested, I used to pick him up as soon as he approached, tuck him under my arm and get on with what I was doing. Does restrict you a bit but, a little like having a wee baby constantly wanting to be close, it's amazing what you can do with just one hand!

brandy
31-Dec-10, 13:02
we had a rooster that use to lay in wait for us as kids.. we would walk around the back of the house and he would sit on the shed roof waiting to jump on our heads! and as an american.. we use to call the cockerels, cocks and roosters.. depending on the mood. or a few dif names if it was my uncle shouting out the window before dawn as the cockerel was doing his thing..
but as for what to do.. no idea.. we just use to chase them off when they came after us.. but we were kids.. so prob. the wrong thing to do!

Ricanna
31-Dec-10, 19:41
My Rhode Island Red is a terror especially when he is feeling a bit fruity. He doesn't go for me though as I stand up and face him and he backs down. However those who run from him get a terrible time and he lies in wait for them!

ffg
03-Jan-11, 20:02
kill it, they only get worse and if you have kids they will end up hurt, Ive had a few that attack folk they get a couple of chances and they shot if they continue.......

so kill it and i will give you a nice natured chap think i have at least 6 of them just now

Pony
05-Jan-11, 20:04
I had a couple of incubator reared cockerels who got really bad for chasing and attacking folk...including postie. We tried carrying an empty plastic bin liner bag and everytime the birds went for us we ran back at them flapping the bag and giving them a smack with it if necessary (doesnt hurt them if its just empty polyethene). They did stop attacking us after a few noisy plastic bag arguments.