PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms and Attitudes

jings00
17-Aug-06, 22:05
Well, I agree with the other post that said that the new High School uniforms are very smart on, but it is a shame that some of the schoolkids have an attitude to match.
I was on my way to a friend's house in Ormlie earlier today and was subject to missiles being thrown at me and verbal blah blah. I did have a word, but that does nothing. I'm not a kick in the bum off being forty years old, an old wifie for goodness sake!! Agh, it just makes me mad. Grr.
When I was young yeh I got up to mischief and shennanigans, but I didny dare carry on like this!!
I wonder what kind of upbringing some of these kids have by the time they feel that this sort of behaviour is acceptable and I would suppose, a good crack.

connieb19
17-Aug-06, 22:16
If you think forty's old then I think you need a kick up the backside..lol:eek:

mccaugm
17-Aug-06, 22:18
I am in my mid thirties(not old at all) and have had kids throw stuff at me on the (school) bus. Thing is I get up and shout the odds...they usually back down and apologise as they don't expect "adults" to retaliate.

Naefearjustbeer
17-Aug-06, 22:40
I think there are a few kids that really are bad. But most are pretty sound you just have to remember what its like to be a kid. The things they do and the attitude they have to grown ups. You were young once, but it sounds as if you have classed yersell as a GOG* already.

(* Grumpy Old Git) ;) :D

sam
18-Aug-06, 08:45
If you think forty's old then I think you need a kick up the backside..lol:eek:

i totally agree with you lol, 40 certainly aint old [disgust]

willowbankbear
18-Aug-06, 08:58
I bet 40 was old when ye lot were in yer 20`s[lol]

jings00
18-Aug-06, 14:29
ach no, forty isny old, i was exaggerating to state my point. what would these same kids be doing if the person was elderly, disabled, unable to stand up for themselves? They denied throwing anything although they were the only other people about, but what can you do? you can't go over and give them a clout on the lug (not that that would do any good either mind you). I do remember what it is like to be a teenager/young, but i still don't feel that this is acceptable behaviour. Kids have their rights, but so does everyone else as well.

Buttercup
18-Aug-06, 14:52
I think there are a few kids that really are bad. But most are pretty sound you just have to remember what its like to be a kid. The things they do and the attitude they have to grown ups. You were young once, but it sounds as if you have classed yersell as a GOG* already.

(* Grumpy Old Git) ;) :D

While I agree with you that it's only a few kids that are bad, I have to disagree strongly with your other statement - I do remember what it was like to be a kid but I, and my peers, were brought up to respect adults and no mattter how much we'd have wanted to throw something at them or give them cheek, we just wouldn't dare - we'd have been murdered when we got home if not before! But then I come from a generation where if a child was doing something bad it was expected that any adult witness would stop them and give them a talking to. But now your frightened to say anything to them, when you do you just get a mouthful of abuse and all hell is let loose when the parents find out that their little angel was accused of something!

jings00
18-Aug-06, 14:57
That is it Buttercup, I was half expecting a knock at the door from someone's parent to question why I had had words with them. I'm not intolerant of younger folk, i used to live by a good tarmac road that was brilliant for skateboarding and rollerblading, and often kids would hang out til gone midnight, havin a laugh, gettin the crack, they weren't doing any harm or bothering anyone, so good for them, let them lash on.

Cocoa
21-Aug-06, 13:46
While I agree with you that it's only a few kids that are bad, I have to disagree strongly with your other statement - I do remember what it was like to be a kid but I, and my peers, were brought up to respect adults and no mattter how much we'd have wanted to throw something at them or give them cheek, we just wouldn't dare - we'd have been murdered when we got home if not before! But then I come from a generation where if a child was doing something bad it was expected that any adult witness would stop them and give them a talking to. But now your frightened to say anything to them, when you do you just get a mouthful of abuse and all hell is let loose when the parents find out that their little angel was accused of something!

Totally agree. Most kids these days are jumped-up, disrespectful, ignorant louts who need to be put firmly in their place with a good bit of discipline! It's one thing having a laugh amongst themselves, but it's quite another thing to involve a complete stranger on the street in their juvenile antics. [evil]

squidge
21-Aug-06, 14:02
Most kids these days are jumped-up, disrespectful, ignorant louts who need to be put firmly in their place with a good bit of discipline!

Here we go again - I hate this "hoodie" mentality. Cocoa you are wrong - most kids are polite, well mannered and pleasantI deal with loads of young people at home ( i have 16 and 17 year old boys) and in my work at a college. The vast majority are really good kids.

It's one thing having a laugh amongst themselves, but it's quite another thing to involve a complete stranger on the street in their juvenile antics. [evil]The children concerned had no right to throw stuff at anyone but we shouldnt tar all kids with the same brush - its boring and unimaginative

Chobbersjnr
21-Aug-06, 14:09
"kids these days" tend to reflect the reality they see via TV & internet along with various other sources

just looking at TV if ye watch it for an extended time & the see the way that Is acceptable for kids to behave (on TV) & the way they are behaving (in reality) there's not a lot of difference

I never had that much TV when I was in my early years & I'm glad of it. Looking at what was on 20+years ago & what's on now the difference is HUGE, what it takes to generate shock waves these days is much more than what it took back through time to the beginning of the TV

Kids seem to be a lot more outspoken these days & it is because of the way that the media has gone & the fact that these kids know that they can't be touched except by verbal means & that has no effect at all, in fact it spurs them on & makes them more determined to get a rise out the unsuspecting passer by

media's come a long way since the sound of music WHOT

jings00
21-Aug-06, 14:22
That is it, it is a few ignorant wee toorags that are the culprits, i know a fair few younger folk and they are spot on.

Cocoa
21-Aug-06, 14:39
To answer Squidge, I don't believe that all kids these days are as I described. I'm happy to say that I also deal with pleasant youngsters on a regular basis because I am a private violin teacher and some of my pupils are children and teenagers. I still believe, however, that the majority of kids/teenagers/youngsters I have come across are far from the polite respectful people they ought to be.

To make a brief reply to Chobbersjnr, I completely agree that the TV and media have a huge influence on how society in general behaves, but particularly where youngsters are concerned because they are so impressionable. If it's acceptable in some TV drama to yell & swear at your parents or to hit your sibling and send them to hospital, then this behaviour seems to transfer to reality all too often for today's youths, sadly.

I'm very glad we haven't owned a TV for at least 5 years now - never miss it!

Chobbersjnr
21-Aug-06, 14:48
If it's acceptable in some TV drama to yell & swear at your parents or to hit your sibling and send them to hospital, then this behaviour seems to transfer to reality all too often for today's youths, sadly.

indeed the insasne thing about it is I think these TV scenes are broadcast to try & help "youngsters" etc (I'm 25) to avoid these pitfalls & instead they end up being copied

back to another part of the OP I never had to wear a uniform in school. We had the choice & I chose not to unless for occasions like the festivals etc etc. I didn't really care about being smart for beating a football up & down a pitch or for bashing a kit in the music room. Now though I like to be smart call it a uniform if you will but I wear the same outfit more or less for stage work (most of which is weddings)

Max
21-Aug-06, 22:04
Oh the youth of today - if only they were all as good as what we are!

Chobbersjnr
21-Aug-06, 22:44
Oh the youth of today - if only they were all as good as what we are!

they could never be as good as us

[lol] [lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Aug-06, 23:22
they could never be as good as us

[lol] [lol]

True chobbers oor generation was the bees knees.