PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Commore
28-Dec-10, 19:36
Our cat appeared in our lives six years ago, she was a stray that we suspected had fallen off a boat during a harsh winter storm and until then we had never owned a cat,

She was dying through starvation and we nursed her back to full health and since then she has remained with us,
most recently she has started to "wee & soil" her bed,
she is clingy when we try to put her out and will scratch us, rather than go out.

Otherwise, she appears healthy,
does anyone have any idea of what has gone wrong with our cat?

We are not really "cat people" (we wouldn't have one if she hadn't adopted us),
and are at a loss as to what could be wrong with her,

We have no idea of her age other than that a visiting vet said she thought the cat quite old.

Liz
28-Dec-10, 19:48
It sounds like something could have frightened her? I take it that the 'clinginess' started as the same time as the soiling. Could another cat have scared her?

The homeopathic remedy Aconite is brilliant for any kind of emotional trauma and I swear by the Feliway Diffuser which emits pheromones which relaxes cats. I have a holder you could have so you would just need to buy a refill. The cheapest place I found for this is www.vetuk.co.uk (http://www.vetuk.co.uk) You can also get Feliway in a spray which you can put on her bed.

Also Dorwest Herbs have a great product called Scullcap and Valerian which has really helped my nervous cats. You can get this from vetuk as well.:D

Commore
28-Dec-10, 20:03
It sounds like something could have frightened her? I take it that the 'clinginess' started as the same time as the soiling. Could another cat have scared her?

The homeopathic remedy Aconite is brilliant for any kind of emotional trauma and I swear by the Feliway Diffuser which emits pheromones which relaxes cats. I have a holder you could have so you would just need to buy a refill. The cheapest place I found for this is www.vetuk.co.uk (http://www.vetuk.co.uk) You can also get Feliway in a spray which you can put on her bed.

Also Dorwest Herbs have a great product called Scullcap and Valerian which has really helped my nervous cats. You can get this from vetuk as well.:D

Hi Liz, yes the clinginess started at the same time as the soiling,
I don't know if anything has frightened her, to my knowledge there are no other cats within a four mile radius, but that is not say that there are no strays,
And in thinking about the time, we did lose a couple of hens recently to a predator, therefore, it is conceivable that this also scared our cat,
although she is not easily scared, with 14 dogs to protect her.
I thank you for your advice and shall look into that,
would the vet in Thurso sell that? we are off in there tomorrow with one of our dogs.

Liz
28-Dec-10, 20:07
It does sound like whatever took your poor hens may have scared your cat as well.

The Vets do sell Feliway but will probably be a lot more expensive. Maybe not!
If so, I do have one I could sell you for the same price as VetUK?

Rescue remedy is another great remedy which you should get in any chemist or Tesco. If none of these help I do know a great place where you can get Bach Flower remedies which have really helped my pets with behavioural problems in the past.
Don't want to bombard you with too many remedies though but it's good that there is plenty of choice.

Commore
28-Dec-10, 20:18
It does sound like whatever took your poor hens may have scared your cat as well.

The Vets do sell Feliway but will probably be a lot more expensive. Maybe not!
If so, I do have one I could sell you for the same price as VetUK?

Rescue remedy is another great remedy which you should get in any chemist or Tesco. If none of these help I do know a great place where you can get Bach Flower remedies which have really helped my pets with behavioural problems in the past.
Don't want to bombard you with too many remedies though but it's good that there is plenty of choice.

Ok, I shall pm you.