PDA

View Full Version : Most used Caithness word

teddybear1873
28-Dec-10, 16:51
So what word or phrase do you use most?

Mines is probably 'foosum' as I'm forever telling the kids what a state their bedroom is in.

orkneycadian
28-Dec-10, 17:05
Surely, it must be "e"? [lol]

nevergiveup
28-Dec-10, 17:12
So what does Foosum really mean and is it Caithness Dialect?

golach
28-Dec-10, 17:15

Try here for Caithness dialect

http://www.caithness.org/dialect/

Mystical Potato Head
28-Dec-10, 17:18

Minging or dirty would probably be the nearest word i could think of.
Doubt if its actually specifically Caithness dialect.Its definately used outwith Caithness.Its in a Cromarty dialect website as well.

riggerboy
28-Dec-10, 17:29
well i reckon the most used word in caithness is

owww vowwwww

cullpacket
28-Dec-10, 18:20
One oh the best is when a couple oh Germans was over shooting and could not understand why at the end oh the day was all the dogs were called Hermin!!

silverlady
28-Dec-10, 18:26

owww vowwwww

Explain please? :eek:

Kevin Milkins
28-Dec-10, 20:17
My sons name is Ken, he seems to get lots of mentions from people who don't know, or "Dey Ken"

cherokee
28-Dec-10, 20:32

owww vowwwww

Sounds like you're from my era Riggerboy !! Do you also remember "Yah Ragh".........:cool:

Stack Rock
28-Dec-10, 21:32
How about 'fit lek'

flowertot
28-Dec-10, 22:05
what about "Ivanow"

trix
28-Dec-10, 22:06
i say 'ifanow' alot, tho some people wid argue that its 'ivanow...'

i notice that when am in 'e middle o' tellin a story i ayie say....'so, anyway or no...' i da ken if its caithnesian or no...i da even ken fit it means :lol:

morvenview
28-Dec-10, 22:35
Your all SLOUNKS!

Liz
28-Dec-10, 23:31
One oh the best is when a couple oh Germans was over shooting and could not understand why at the end oh the day was all the dogs were called Hermin!!

Ha ha. Good one.:D

Lingland
28-Dec-10, 23:32
In constant use with me is cowld dowg and cloot

Gizmo
28-Dec-10, 23:43

owww vowwwww

That's two words.

donnick
28-Dec-10, 23:53
i am allways using the work " lek "thankfull most people know what i am on about

golach
29-Dec-10, 01:24
On good authority, I would say the most used word is "Chiel"

sweetpea
29-Dec-10, 01:47
The nearest to Caithness I can get is lek tirx said 'anyways or no', most words including chiel are used in other parts of Scotland, The accents or how you pronounce the letters in words is abooot the only thing I ken find different.

ducati
29-Dec-10, 09:15
How much?????:eek:

cherokee
29-Dec-10, 10:26
How much?????:eek:

That's brilliant ducati !! :lol::lol:

David Banks
29-Dec-10, 18:39
Since phrases are 'permitted' in the thread started, the phrases my Canadian kids picked-up on most were:
"muckle feel gowk" and
"cowled and weet"

spurtle
29-Dec-10, 22:58

Just a corruption of the perfectly serviceable English word "fulsome" meaning overdone, in an offensive way, but in modern parlance somewhat downgraded in meaning, to mere abundance, and with no particular pejorative tone.

brandy
29-Dec-10, 23:20
its more of a sound, but i say nawt(sp) for no.. and my niece is so bad for saying.. ats bonnie... has done it her whole life i hink.. *Grins*
its really funny when i call home, forget that ive been here for the past 11 years and that family have no clue what im on about, and i say, wot like e day?
im bad to pick up wicker words!

crayola
30-Dec-10, 02:08
Just a corruption of the perfectly serviceable English word "fulsome" meaning overdone, in an offensive way, but in modern parlance somewhat downgraded in meaning, to mere abundance, and with no particular pejorative tone.Which dictionary did you swallow before regurgitating that?

No-one I know uses 'foosum' with that meaning and without pejoration. :confused

riggerboy
30-Dec-10, 08:11
Sounds like you're from my era Riggerboy !! Do you also remember "Yah Ragh".........:cool:

aye i still use ya ragh and more so if the bairn does something silly,

owwwwwvoowwwwww ya ragh cully boy

John Little
30-Dec-10, 08:56
When I lived up there we kids used to use bygie a lot. Either in talking to a friend which was ok- or as a challenge to belittle someone we did not like.