PDA

View Full Version : Boxing week - what the heck is that ?

David Banks
27-Dec-10, 15:53
Shopkeepers here in Nova Scotia will do almost anything to invent reasons for sales.

Boxing day sales or January sales - OK.

The invention of boxing week truly gets up my nose.

Do you have it over there ??

Kodiak
27-Dec-10, 15:56
Not as far as I know, Boxing Week!! first I have heard of it. Nah !! Not a good idea at all, long may it stay away.

canadagirl
27-Dec-10, 16:31
We have boxing week (or month!) here in victoria b.c. I saw a grown man RUNNING into the store at 6 a.m. yesterday. My 14 yr old son dragged me in so he could get something that wasn't even marked down - silly me for not asking him!

orkneycadian
27-Dec-10, 17:03
Over here, I have come to the conclusion that we don't celebrate Christmas any more, but that we have started to celebrate Advent instead.

Traditionally, the first day of Christmas was the 25th of December, with the 12th day, the 5th of January.

Nowadays, folk start celebrating at the beginning of December, but get fed up with it all by the 26th. I have already seen houses that were festooned in lights at the beginning of December, and every night thereafter, in darkness last night. And we're only on the 3rd day of Christmas!

So it seems that Advent is the new Christmas in this country!

A belated Merry Advent to everyone! :lol:

Kodiak
27-Dec-10, 18:40
Over here, I have come to the conclusion that we don't celebrate Christmas any more, but that we have started to celebrate Advent instead.

Traditionally, the first day of Christmas was the 25th of December, with the 12th day, the 5th of January.

Nowadays, folk start celebrating at the beginning of December, but get fed up with it all by the 26th. I have already seen houses that were festooned in lights at the beginning of December, and every night thereafter, in darkness last night. And we're only on the 3rd day of Christmas!

So it seems that Advent is the new Christmas in this country!

A belated Merry Advent to everyone! :lol:

There is nothing new about Advent.

Advent is the beginning of the Church Year for most churches in the Western tradition. It begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas Day, which is the Sunday nearest November 30, and ends on Christmas Eve (Dec 24). If Christmas Eve is a Sunday, it is counted as the fourth Sunday of Advent, with Christmas Eve proper beginning at sundown.

So if you want to celebrate Advent as you claim then your celebrations should finish on Christmas Eve.

On the otherhand what I think you mean is Christmastide which is the 12 days of Christmas.

The Twelve Days of Christmas are the festive days beginning Christmas Day (25 December). This period is also known as Christmastide. The Twelfth Day of Christmas is 5 January, with the celebrations of Christmas traditionally ending on Twelfth Night and is followed by the Feast of the Epiphany on 6 January. In some traditions the first day of Epiphany and the twelfth day of Christmas overlap.