PDA

View Full Version : Hello To Everybody!

Meinrad
24-Dec-10, 12:59
My name is Meinrad, from Switzerland, and a new member here. I hope to move with my wife in short time to Scotland. I am retired and need quiet and peace. Many times ago I visited the North of Scotland and never got loose from this beautiful Land. I am interested in the History, Seafaring, Lighthouses, Scottish Music, (do you know Blair Douglas?!). I collect nautical instruments and like to hear shortwave radio, and a lot more...
Kind Regards
Meinrad

changilass
24-Dec-10, 13:06
Hello and welcome to the org.

Torvaig
24-Dec-10, 13:07
My name is Meinrad, from Switzerland, and a new member here. I hope to move with my wife in short time to Scotland. I am retired and need quiet and peace. Many times ago I visited the North of Scotland and never got loose from this beautiful Land. I am interested in the History, Seafaring, Lighthouses, Scottish Music, (do you know Blair Douglas?!). I collect nautical instruments and like to hear shortwave radio, and a lot more...
Kind Regards
Meinrad

Hello and welcome to the org Meinrad! Yes I know Blair Douglas; we travel on the same bus on Skye where he lives and produces his beautiful music. I don't live on Skye but I visit it as often as I can. Maybe you will move there for the peace and quiet! Enjoy the forums....:)

Meinrad
24-Dec-10, 14:07
Hello Torvaig. Many thanks for the Welcome! Skye is a wonderful isle. I was there many years ago on the way to the isles of Lewis and Harris. My favorite place for moving is Caithness County, also not too bad and quite nice!
A Good Time!

Kodiak
24-Dec-10, 14:08
Kind Regards
Meinrad

Welcome to .org Meinrad and I hpe you have lots of fun posting here. I see you are intrested in Lighthouses, well I am an ex-Lighthoude Keeper and I was one for 25 years.

http://i49.tinypic.com/9ztts0.jpg

shazzap
24-Dec-10, 14:19
Hello................:)

teenybash
24-Dec-10, 14:27
come in and make yourself at home.......Welcome.

Liz
24-Dec-10, 15:18
Welcome Meinrad.

Hope you find your ideal place to retire to. Plenty to choose from in Scotland.

SunnyChick
24-Dec-10, 15:57
Welcome!

Hope you find a lovely spot to settle here, as there are loads of lovely wee places in Caithness to choose from.

Meinrad
25-Dec-10, 16:20
Hello Kodiak! Nice to hear again from an ex-Lighthousekeeper. For me is all for interest concerning the sea, I like it very much. On past holiday trips to Scotland, first 1978, i visited some lighthouses if possible, so Portmahomack, Dunnet Head, Noss Head, Scrabster, Cap Wrath, Strathy Point and other ones. In 2000 i visited Scotland last time.
I stayed for 2 month in Thurso. The good rememberings are still present!
On which Lighthouse have you served? I think you had a very interesting job.
Kind regards
meinrad

welsh-witch
25-Dec-10, 16:24
hello to you n welcome :Razz

trix
27-Dec-10, 03:24
come in, come in...kick yer shoes off, grab a cup o' tea...sit back, relax.

oh, wur all friends here :)

Elenna
27-Dec-10, 14:51
Hello and welcome! And much luck on finding your perfect place to settle. My own opinion is you couldnt choose better than Caithness! :)

David Banks
27-Dec-10, 16:22
Welcome to caithness.org.
One of my favourite spots as a teenager was on Dunnet Head, turning right just before the lighthouse wall and parking on the high spot. I loved watching all the lighthouses down the Pentland Firth - but I do not know how many of them are still in service.
As a kid, I remember "discussions" as to which village produced the highest number of sea captains per mile of the coast - was it Scarfskerry, Brough, Dunnet, Castletown, Thurso, Wick ???
There was also quite a history associated with both lifeboats and land-based shore rescue crews. In Scarfskerry, we had a "rocket crew" in the 50's and a lookout hut on a point just east of the little Baptist Church (strictly speaking, it was just inside the area known as The Mill of Mey, parish of Canisby) - the lookout was for distress flares in the Pentland Firth and was manned by Sandy Geddes the fisherman as I remember it.