PDA

View Full Version : Where Have You Been Doing Your Xmas Shopping???

.D.
23-Dec-10, 20:59
I'm not going to lie here, I've done some of my shopping online. I bought a rare book from the states, my Mrs. has bought some items of clothing, & we've bought some things that we simply couldn't get locally.

However, realistically, I'd say in all honestly that around 97.5% of our Xmas Shopping has been bought in Thurso. We understand the importance & logic of shopping in our community, so therefore (regardless of price) we go to the extra effort of supporting our shops & our community.

What is your view? Do you support your shops? Or do you shop in chain supermarkets or online?

Kodiak
23-Dec-10, 21:13
I decide what I want to buy a person for their Christmas. Then I search for the best value I can get whether it be on the Internet, in a Supermarket or in a Local shop. 99% of the time it is not in a local shop as they are just too expensive for me.

annemarie482
23-Dec-10, 21:44
i follow the sales.........
so up here (all shops!)
inverness and aberdeen this year.
and i can honestly say i haven't bought 1 thing online!

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-10, 21:47
Im pretty much the same as Mr K. Also the "gadgets" that me and my hubby get for each other are not available locally, probably cant be bought as far as Ness. So its online.

I will say about 97% of our christmas shopping was online. Mainly because yes....its alot cheaper! :confused

There is not really a large range of toys available for kids. The oldest 2 love lego and pretty much have all the lego thurso could give :lol: Also got them a new tv which we actually got from Argos in Wick.

Play.com is one of our favourite sites for getting things. They have a wide range of things. Babies - Adults. Dvds, CDs, games, toys, clothing etc etc...its endless! Love it

Kenn
23-Dec-10, 22:25
Did all mine locally but then I don't have many to get and all those I did buy for had easy requests.
All were purchased and posted/packaged a few weeks ago so the extreme weather has not caused any problems either.

brandy
23-Dec-10, 22:46
a mix of both.. locally and online.

lindsaymcc
23-Dec-10, 22:58
We went "home" to England in October, and did most of ours there. ELC/HMV/Primark/M&S etc. The rest was Amazon or Tesco Wick/Tesco Direct.

The crunch for me was that I had saved with Park Hampers all year and had £350 of High Street Vouchers (I lived in England when I started saving with them) and due to moving, other than Homebase and Argos, there wasnt anywhere to spend them here.

Next year, Im hoping to buy more locally but it will of course depend on what the kids want!

The Music Monster
23-Dec-10, 23:35
This year I finally managed to get on and make most of my presents - well, nearly - two are still works in progress:roll: 1 day left to finish off! Aside from that I have shopped at Amazon and in the local Wick shops. I love the new factory shop, I can see I will be spending a lot of time in there!!!!

wickscorrie
24-Dec-10, 00:17
tesco, amazon and argos, mainly as we're both working full time and i never seem to organise time to get down the street.

Scarybiscuits03
24-Dec-10, 01:57
All online - HATE shopping in shops at this time of year, may cause harm to others if they even try to nudge me out of the way!!!....Much safer online!!:lol:

Hoida
24-Dec-10, 10:51
All my shopping has been done locally, Thurso and Wick can't be bothered going to Inverness. By the time I get there I am shattered and shopping up here I know where I can get what I want. Like Liz all my shopping was posted before the bad weather and everything has reached its destination Thank you Royal Mail:lol::lol:

Dadie
24-Dec-10, 10:54
I did a wee bit up here in the shops.
I did a lot in toys r us while away..
Bought stuff I couldnt find elsewhere online and wished I never!(delivery nightmares)
As for food shopping I got a farm chicken straight from the farm, bacon, chipolatas and stuffing from the butchers, veg from lidls and tescos and wine online.
I also bought some small bits and pieces from the craft fayre that was on in the castletown heritage centre!

Beat Bug
24-Dec-10, 11:24
I start my Christmas shopping in January. No, I'm not a cheapskate looking for 'sale' items. If I see nice things throughout the year, especially when on holiday, that's when I buy them. The main advantage is that I don't have to rush around while everyone else is, and don't run up debts because of buying everything at the same time!

Dadie
24-Dec-10, 11:49
I buy nice bits and pieces throughout the year too.
But by the time Christmas comes round I suddenly realise I have used all the gifts up for birthday pressies:eek:
Especially the kids stuff for random parties!

cazmanian_minx
24-Dec-10, 13:12
Apart from a FABULOUS Christmas selection from Caithness Smokehouse (arrived at my brother's house in Hertfordshire yesterday and they're over the moon, thank you so much - will come and pay for it ASAP!), all done online this year.

Bazeye
24-Dec-10, 15:03
Dont do Christmas shopping, the wife does it all. Saying that though, she never unblocks any drains.

SunnyChick
24-Dec-10, 16:10
:DMy christmas shopping usually works like this;

In the months preceeding Christmas, I will see a things in local shops and buy it there and then. I don't look to see if I can find it cheaper anywhere else. If I like it, I buy it!

However, when the date draws near, I am usually given an list of gifts to buy, so I proceed to Amazon, which usually gives good, reliable value, and it's a one stop shop, so less hassle for me, and no traipsing gurning bairns round the shops!

Honestly tho, I probably only spend about 10% at local shops compared to about 90% either online or at large retailers (i.e. tesco)!

However, if all the local shops had websites (some might already), then I would be very tempted to buy online from them, and pick up from their shop premises. Maybe next year?!

teddybear1873
24-Dec-10, 16:23
About 20% online, then me and the wife will hit the shops on Black Friday at 4:00am. Shops we hit this year have been -

Walmart
Target
Gamestop
Macy's
JC Penney
Sears
Best Buy
Lowe's

orkneycadian
24-Dec-10, 16:46
Up the street in Kirkwall, between 2pm and half past 3 this afternoon. Sorted. :lol:

Mystical Potato Head
24-Dec-10, 20:43
I'm not going to lie here, I've done some of my shopping online. I bought a rare book from the states, my Mrs. has bought some items of clothing, & we've bought some things that we simply couldn't get locally.

However, realistically, I'd say in all honestly that around 97.5% of our Xmas Shopping has been bought in Thurso. We understand the importance & logic of shopping in our community, so therefore (regardless of price) we go to the extra effort of supporting our shops & our community.

What is your view? Do you support your shops? Or do you shop in chain supermarkets or online?

Not everyone can afford your regardless of price attitude.People struggling to make ends meet have to take the cheapest option available to them but no doubt would love to be in a position such as yours,hopefully they wouldnt feel the need to be so patronising.

.D.
24-Dec-10, 21:13
Not everyone can afford your regardless of price attitude.People struggling to make ends meet have to take the cheapest option available to them but no doubt would love to be in a position such as yours,hopefully they wouldnt feel the need to be so patronising.

Patronising? I'm sure if you asked each individual who has posted in this thread, that the last thing they were thinking was that I was being patronising. I merely asked a question regarding how & where people shop. It's part of the xmas spirit, asking what people do for shopping, xmas dinner, what family are coming over etc. etc. There has been close to 20 posts so far in this thread, & none of these posts have been anything but nice, so why join in this thread to change the mood of tonal discussion?

It's not in keeping of the xmas spirit... [disgust]

Mystical Potato Head
25-Dec-10, 08:58
This is just about you letting people know that you understand the importance of shopping locally more than others, which is carried over from a previous thread where your spirit was somewhat less than Christmassy.

I particularly like the last 3 or 4 sentences,very xmassy indeed.

What a damn shame. I've just come home from my xmas shopping today. Shopping for my wife & my bairn & various friends. & I know that I certainly don't mind paying the extra money as compared to internet shopping. I mean, can't you understand that the sales industry isn't as vibrant in rural communitites as it is in cities? Mrs. Pentland Music has to charge full price for eg. guitar strings, it's because that the supplier states that the retailer isn't allowed to UNDERCHARGE unless you buy IN BULK in which you can undercharge. So if you buy 10 strings, they're going to be far more expensive than if Mrs. Pentland Music bought say 100 strings. I've seen me buy groceries from local shops, knowing full well that I'm paying 17% more than Asda, Tesco etc. but at least I'm contributing to my community. If you were to be our councillor there'd be tumbleweed flying through the street. For god sake man get a grip, are you blind, thick, iggnorant??? People need to make a living you know. Everything in Thurso is overpriced because they're retail outlet is minuscule as compared to towns & citites. However, I suppose you've got to be a business man to be able to understand this quality ;)

.D.
25-Dec-10, 12:45
This is just about you letting people know that you understand the importance of shopping locally more than others, which is carried over from a previous thread where your spirit was somewhat less than Christmassy.

I particularly like the last 3 or 4 sentences,very xmassy indeed.

Well that was a different topic on a different thread, hardly applies here really.

& even if it did apply here, I'm sort of saying to myself, so? &, what's your point?

jpmackay
25-Dec-10, 16:48
well folkes me for 1 either does all mine in glasgow or online as lets be honest about this for 1 thurso is bad for shoping realy bad wick is bit better wth argos n homebase n tescos but i dnt spend up here ,,, and im a local merry christmas

Vistravi
27-Dec-10, 00:16
Most of it online some bought a few months ago. Used tescos for a couple of people 2 i'd forgotten when online and the factory shop for the second half of my partner's.

If i see something i will make a note of it and see if i can get it cheaper elsewhere first before going buying it from the place i had spotted it. This can make it longer but it does mean that i get the best deal.