PDA

View Full Version : siatica

mike67
23-Dec-10, 11:38
hi folks does enyone know of any pain relief for siatica, got tabs from doc and tryed hot baths not realy helping.

neepnipper
23-Dec-10, 11:45
I'm suffering at the moment, too! Just sitting here writing this I've got pains shooting down my right leg, not funny!

I'm just taking Ibuprofen, tried rubbing in Deep Heat but doesn't really help much.

Soldier on regardless I think is the best way, keep moving and hopefully it should sort itself out.

Bazeye
23-Dec-10, 12:00
Book in to see a physio and they'll give you some exercises to do, worked for me.

Scunner
23-Dec-10, 12:20
try an osteopath, worked wonders with me.

david
23-Dec-10, 12:23
hi folks does enyone know of any pain relief for siatica, got tabs from doc and tryed hot baths not realy helping.

You need a cold compress for this-bag of frozen peas etc. Heat will not work.

mike67
23-Dec-10, 12:32
thanks very much every 1 for advice ,will give it all a try thanks

Bobinovich
23-Dec-10, 12:50
I've no idea if this will help but when my back goes out (like it has today :() I use a gel called Biofreeze which does wonders for me. I know it'a available in Sutherlands chemist in Thurso.

Beat Bug
23-Dec-10, 13:00
I've had sciatica for 33 years. I've tried just about everything: physio, pain killers, radio therapy, accupuncture, cold compress, etc. Nothing really 'works', but hot baths, and anti-inflamatory pills help to ease the pain.

canadagirl
23-Dec-10, 17:09
You may not have it there but I've lived on Advil gelcaps for migraine, they don't bother your stomach and within half an hour you can at least get up off the floor!

cherokee
23-Dec-10, 17:41
Hi mike67, I've sent you a PM. :D

Hoida
23-Dec-10, 18:44
Had sciatica for a number of years and am unable to take anti inflammatories but did get Bio Freeze from Sutherlands Chemist and it does relieve it for a wee while. You can use this a soften as necessary. Also saw a physio and have exersises well worth a try.

EDDIE
23-Dec-10, 19:38
I get siatica everynow and again and boy it can be painful if its persistant all you can do is get physio i havent had it for a while but i usually find a position that gives me relief and then i dont move and i take a couple of days of work it usually goes away but what brings it on for me if im doing something and im in an awakward position thats when it starts.
All you can do is be careful in future if possible that you dont stretch yourself or lift heavy things if you no what i mean and that will reduce your chances of it comming back again?

Welcomefamily
23-Dec-10, 20:06
Some thing normally causes it so the key is to attempt to identify what that is? it can often be muscle related, an old injury that gets inflamed which in turn puts pressure back on to the nerve.

The first stage should be to rest it for a while, dont rub anything in as all you are doing is causing a damaged muscle to be moved more. Anti inflamatories are good, relaxation exercise help much more but they need lots of practice to learn how to really control your muscles activity.

It is important to remember that you need gentle exercise of muscles to promote repair as when they exercise it causes an increase in blood flow, so once it starts easing start gentle exercise.

It is worth while looking at the HSE web site for MSD (Musculo-skeletal disorders) which cover a wide range of conditions.

If you can over a few months identify whats causing it, you could go a see an Ergonomist (make sure its one that deals with Physical Ergonomics as opposed to Cognitive, some of the top Physios will have Ergonomics qualifications as well.

It is a condition that rarely goes away however if you can identify what causes it, you can understand it and with with help learn how to aviod it.

mike67
23-Dec-10, 20:15
thanks again for all the good advice from every one, thanks very much :)

nicnak
23-Dec-10, 20:50
Try reflexology it really helps and doesnt involve drugs.