PDA

View Full Version : Thurso caravan site

bosco
16-Aug-06, 14:01
When is the council going to make thurso caravan site look better as it looks a disgrace, the so called resturant could have done with a coat of paint,the grass could have been cut or put some sheep into eat it :D That way they would get more holiday folk staying as you get a lovely view out to sea and beyond

Billy Boy
16-Aug-06, 14:22
you hit the nail on the head there lol'don't even think the so called restaurant is even open?little wonder it's half empty most of the time.

Gogglebox
16-Aug-06, 17:41
I doubt anything will happen from the Council as i believe it is for sale

stekar
16-Aug-06, 20:51
The council only have so much money to spend on grass cutting, that's why it looks messy.
Shame as it has a lovely location, but just doesn't look appealing.

moose and Lindsay
16-Aug-06, 23:23
Believe it or not the grass gets cut once a week to a fortnight

It is not for sale

They take in over £200 everyday

Pavillion closed due to the last people who leased it left it in such a state and knackered the cooker etc and the kitchen was condemmed

Also the caravan park went from a 2 star last year to a 3 star this year, so there must be some improvement

bosco
17-Aug-06, 12:39
You say they take in over £200 per day, not very much as the average price is in the region of £15-£20 per night and that includes elec, and an awning if you have one. Its not very much if you have wardens, and cleaners wages to pay.And what i am saying is the council could make it look alot more attractive that way they would get more tourists in to stayas it is sittuated in a lovely place

Billy Boy
17-Aug-06, 12:50
if it's not for sale it should be,i'am sure someone could turn it in to a good site and bring more people to thurso which can only be a good thing:D

jaykay
17-Aug-06, 15:55
It would make an ideal site for ASDA!!!

changilass
18-Aug-06, 10:06
It used to be a great site years ago, then the club house had a licence and it was nearly always full. Now everyone goes to Dunnet, perhaps they could learn some lessons from them.

golach
18-Aug-06, 10:15
Have fond memories of staying there in the late 70's when David Hossak ran it

moose and Lindsay
18-Aug-06, 12:07
It used to be a great site years ago, then the club house had a licence and it was nearly always full. Now everyone goes to Dunnet, perhaps they could learn some lessons from them.

I think more people go to dunnet coz it is a "camping and caravan registered site" Thurso isn't!!!

Dunnet charges £24 a night for a camper or caravan, where thurso only charges £9 a night and dunnet only has 2 tent pitches

dragonfly
18-Aug-06, 12:18
Dunnet is a Caravan Club run site. not sure where you are getting £24 night from but its £7 per pitch and £5 per adult (high season).

Quality of site/facilities and space between pitches at Caravan club sites make it worth the money

Billy Boy
18-Aug-06, 12:47
we are just recently back from the yorkshire dales where we paid £17 for a pitch with an elecrtic hook up, and that was in a 5 star site.
so i find it hard to believe that dunnett would be charging £24.00 a night

Alison77
18-Aug-06, 13:35
Firstly this is my first ever go at posting a message so hope I get this right(!)

We recently took our tent up to the camping park at Bettyhill. The grass was almost knee high and the toilet block was not very clean. It is terrible that our local authorities dont take more time to look after such places. We need to get more tourists staying in our county, so many just pass through to go to the Orkney Isles.

moose and Lindsay
18-Aug-06, 13:52
Dunnet is a Caravan Club run site. not sure where you are getting £24 night from but its £7 per pitch and £5 per adult (high season).

Quality of site/facilities and space between pitches at Caravan club sites make it worth the money

U might be right about dunnet prices

I was talking to someone who stayed there and thats what it cost them a night, i never thought about the capita charge :lol:

Thurso only charges £1 per person and 60p for oap's and children :)

Buttercup
18-Aug-06, 15:05
Firstly this is my first ever go at posting a message so hope I get this right(!)

We recently took our tent up to the camping park at Bettyhill. The grass was almost knee high and the toilet block was not very clean. It is terrible that our local authorities dont take more time to look after such places. We need to get more tourists staying in our county, so many just pass through to go to the Orkney Isles.

If you're talking about the campsite beside the road as you go through Bettyhill, I think you'll find that it is privately, not Council, owned.

cuddlepop
18-Aug-06, 15:09
That site in Bettyhill is in a beautiful location buts there's no way we'd stay there,it looks so neglected.
Thurso's is too near the main road.So Wick wins hands down,or should that be tent pecks:lol: