PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate Christmas presents

Errogie
21-Dec-10, 13:38
O.K., most of us have had second thoughts about our choice and the reaction from nearest and dearest when they pull of the wrapping paper to reveal ....

I've never been able to live down a wooden pig which happened to catch my eye when wending home from the office end of year party. It just looked so darn cute. Even when nagging doubts arose at the next pub stop and I got a less than complementary reaction from another female colleague the thing still seemed like an original and unusual gift with such a great expression on it's porcine features. So I sort of balanced it up with some other gifts.

Hey ho, heading off into the minefield of Christmas shopping again having got rid of a slew of cards taking great care not to put my completed three day bowel cancer screening sample into the wrong enevelope and conveying brown Christmas wishes to some hapless acquaintance or relative!

Anyone else ever had nagging doubts about their choice of gifts?

cherokee
21-Dec-10, 16:21
A few years ago I had a brainstorm of giving my Dad and brother a combined gift of a flight from Wick where you could pilot the wee plane yourself. (sorry canna mind the name of the company who did/does it)

I was just beside myself with excitement on "The Day", having disguised said present in a shoe-box !!!.............

Well they opened it together, upon my insistance, and just looked at each other.....................:eek:

Dad hates flying (having been in the Air Training Corps when younger and scared witless LOL !) and my bro is not the slightest bit interested in flying a plane !!!!

They explained this to me in no uncertain terms and I was left feeling utterly devastated !!! :(

Och well, I definetely "lived and learned" that Christmas LOL :lol:

philupmaboug
21-Dec-10, 18:58
Some years ago my wife kept moaning that she suffered a sore back when doing the ironing so I had the briliant idea of buying one of those steam iron's that has the tank attached to save her time and lessen the strain on her back.

This did not have the desired effect, infact it proved a medical disaster as my ears rang and my head was sore fore a long time after, she had kept that present last to open on xmas day so it was cold shoulder and humble pie for dinner that day.

Lesson learned.......now I get her to buy her own and I pay......male or what!

Who said romance is dead ;-)

Ricco
22-Dec-10, 08:12
My secret Santa present at work was a ......

mankini! Now, that was inappropriate - it'll never get worn.

Fluff
22-Dec-10, 21:01
hmm I don't know about giving, I like to think I am quite good at present giving. However my darling OH decided one year to give me a bread bin.

I am sure you can imagine my reaction. hmm.

Bazeye
23-Dec-10, 00:06
Wife wanted a new belt and a bag. How the hell was I supposed to know she didnt mean for the hoover.

ShelleyCowie
23-Dec-10, 00:14
i think i am one of the rare women who LOVES getting household stuff for christmas! My mither got me a load o kitchen utensils, new dish cloths and a load o house stuff one year! I still use it all :Razz

Hmm cant say iv had an inappropriate present, had a few useless ones tho! [disgust] and i mean useless!!!

aldis
23-Dec-10, 00:30
My Dad once gave my Mother a flour sifter for Christmas. He said because he loved her baking and he'd noticed the handle on the old one had broken. Mom was delighted because she said it showed that he cared about what she did for her family.
When given a gift, say "Thank you". A gift is something we neither deserve nor should we expect. Br gracious to the giver. They meant well.