PDA

View Full Version : Im sorry...did i hear right?

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-10, 10:05
Schools OPEN?

Thats fine, how do they get there? [evil] Snow up so high on their legs at some areas there are kids walking on the ROAD!

The roads are even extremelly dangerous as i found out last night but it was safer than walking on the path.

Where are the path ploughs? I know the council is busy but how on earth are kids supposed to get anywhere in this except for walking on roads?

Mounds of snow built up beside roads are also past my knees!!! [evil]

To say im a bit angry hearing this is a bit of an understatement!

changilass
21-Dec-10, 10:10
Its also -8, or it is here in Castletown.

Hope they have snow suits Shelly.

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-10, 10:15

:eek: Get e thermals on Changi! I dont have my step sons today but i dont think their mum put them to school. She has a steap slope to get up in the car and she will be lucky to get up that. Even if they were here i wouldnt allow them to go. Not a chance!

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 10:16
It is very cold!!! Hubby just back from walking the girls to school and he is frozen to the bone!

achingale
21-Dec-10, 10:17
I think students should only go if parents think it is safe for them to do so. If we think it is too dangerous then I think we would be perfectly within our rights to keep them off because we are putting their saftey first.

Droopy
21-Dec-10, 10:23
Schools OPEN?

Thats fine, how do they get there? [evil] Snow up so high on their legs at some areas there are kids walking on the ROAD!

The roads are even extremelly dangerous as i found out last night but it was safer than walking on the path.

Where are the path ploughs? I know the council is busy but how on earth are kids supposed to get anywhere in this except for walking on roads?

Oh deary me...................:roll:

unicorn
21-Dec-10, 10:23
I didn't put my daughter yesterday as she already has a cold and walking all the way to school as no buses was not my idea of child welfare.
She has gone today as there is a bus but if she has to walk home I am not gonna be happy.

chaz
21-Dec-10, 10:29
I didn't put my daughter yesterday as she already has a cold and walking all the way to school as no buses was not my idea of child welfare.
She has gone today as there is a bus but if she has to walk home I am not gonna be happy.

Yep thats a fair walk in this cold, mine are home as no bus and we cant get up or down track,so digging today:eek:
maybe get maiseys cage returned to you unicorn, sorry you must think i have ran off with it lol.xx
Shes the best pet ever thank you x

unicorn
21-Dec-10, 10:35
No bother Chaz, I am in no hurry for it, I am glad you are enjoying her. Mice are brill.
My daughter said out of 200 4th years there were 34 in yesterday and half went home at lunchtime as nothing to do.

chaz
21-Dec-10, 10:39
No bother Chaz, I am in no hurry for it, I am glad you are enjoying her. Mice are brill.
My daughter said out of 200 4th years there were 34 in yesterday and half went home at lunchtime as nothing to do.

Thats unreal :eek: Will get into you soon x

brandy
21-Dec-10, 10:41
mine are off to school now.. just trying to get the car going.. letting it warm up now.. fingers are frozen so bad they hurt and burn.. burrr its cold! sent the boys to school with extra clothes and socks!!!

golach
21-Dec-10, 10:46

Come on changi, your a wimp, its -11c here :(

dragonfly
21-Dec-10, 10:48
hmm could it be that the schools are open today so they can hold their christmas parties??

changilass
21-Dec-10, 10:49
Aye Gol, and I bet you aint venturing past your doorstep.

...... and another thing

You would be the first to have sumat to say if mini changi turned into an ice pop.

Scarybiscuits03
21-Dec-10, 10:53
Managed to get my little one into town for school - roads atrocious and everyone walking on them - cars canna stop in those conditions please be careful folks!
Only reason I took her to school is because it was her Xmas party - if it's like this tomorrow she'll be skiving!;)

dragonfly
21-Dec-10, 10:54
Only reason I took her to school is because it was her Xmas party

lol well thats just answered my question above

Dadie
21-Dec-10, 10:54
Laurens nursery is still shut.
The snow drifts are too deep for access!
They are hopefully having their party on Thursday.......
But that will be the only day she will get to go.
Why couldnt they just say enough is enough and just give up and shut...I will never know....

golach
21-Dec-10, 10:56
Aye Gol, and I bet you aint venturing past your doorstep.

...... and another thing

You would be the first to have sumat to say if mini changi turned into an ice pop.

Changi, been out already, just had a bigger bowl of brose, still got to go out again, I need to get some essentials, beeg decisions....now where do I go, Asda's, Morrison's, Sainsbury's or Tesco's.....oh the headaches of living in a beeg city.
And aye your right, about your treatment of mini changi, wrap him up well, stick a saddle on Murph and he will get to school no bother.

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 10:56
Our girls have their christmas production today, should have been friday, but rearranged for yesterday, and then of course rearranged for today, so I wouldnt be at all surprised if the schools say you can take your children home again after the show.

changilass
21-Dec-10, 11:01
He is already at school Gol, took me 20 mins to scrape the ice from both outside and inside of the car and get it heated up enough to put him in.

To be honest, I think this will probably be the last time he goes till after the new year.

I don't mind putting him to school if he is learning sumat, but if all they are doing is playing games, then he can do that much safer at home.

Jeid
21-Dec-10, 11:02
Really? I know the snow has stopped, but it's not exactly great walking conditions. It's also baltic outside. Just spent an hour unsuccessfully trying to dig my van out of the snow and despite my 4 layers +scarf and gloves, I'm still freezing!

According to Tugs website... -5 here.

edayhouse
21-Dec-10, 11:04
Our girls have their christmas production today, should have been friday, but rearranged for yesterday, and then of course rearranged for today, so I wouldnt be at all surprised if the schools say you can take your children home again after the show.

Just dropped kids off for school christmas production and they are urging parents to collect kids after concert:)

x

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 11:10
Just dropped kids off for school christmas production and they are urging parents to collect kids after concert:)

x

Is that Miller?!

edayhouse
21-Dec-10, 11:18
Is that Miller?!

sure is....so back down to the school we go!

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 11:19
deep joy!!!

_Ju_
21-Dec-10, 11:27
Schools: They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

FieryFairy
21-Dec-10, 11:32
Kids went in today, though one has a party and asked if he could stay home as they wouldn't be doing anything. When they went in on Friday all 3 said they had watched a movie! What about all the work they need to make up? No new reading books home, no homework, and no extras to catch up during some of the time at home!? :roll:

Venture
21-Dec-10, 11:57
Looks like Miller is now closing at 11 am due to heating problems.

molly
21-Dec-10, 12:24
It is minus 13 outside. I had to defrost the car inside once i got the doors open and then outside. It was impossible trying to keep it frost free. 20 minutes late taking kids to school but not the only one. The side roads are ridiculous to drive in. Lucky i had a 4x4, could not do it with the car which is sitting outside house and wont be moving for a while.

crashbandicoot1979
21-Dec-10, 12:29

That always seems to be the case! I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be open, as long as the heatings working and some teachers can get there! But it should be at the parents' discretion whether they want their children to go or not, when the weathers like this. Some parents can't afford to take time off work and have no one else to watch the children during the day. Its impossible to please everyone.

Kodiak
21-Dec-10, 12:48
I know I no longer have kids of school age. If I did and the weather was like this I might have decided that the Road & Footpath conditions were not safe for my kids to travel to school.

Therefore I might have considered phoning the school to tell them this and that until the Council improved the road conditions my kids would not be attenting school due to their safety.

I do not know if the school would accept this or not.

Sage
21-Dec-10, 13:29
cant win no matter what you do :(

ShelleyCowie
21-Dec-10, 13:58
Kodiak the school has to accept whatever the parent feels right. i know of alot of people who did not allow their kids to go today, those who did are going to get them early because they want their kids home.

I know some parents will be finding it hard for child care and things, personally i would never allow my step sons to walk in this. There are also hardly any lollipop ladies/men working so kids are having to cross some busy roads on their own! :eek:

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 14:42
I brought the girls home after watching their show. Having watched it on Thursday, there were a lot of kids not there today anyway!

All tucked up in the warm now and have declared that the girls will be staying home until the new year now. Millers christmas parties have been cancelled and will be help in the new year anyway, so other than lots of playing, they arent going to miss much!

Also, with the heating situation, I would rather they were here in the warm, than at school freezing!

brandy
21-Dec-10, 14:57
the schools are the first to advise you that all though they are open it is up to parental discretion on whether to bring your child in or not.
this is up to the parent to decide on if they want to take the risk in bad weather.
if the school is able to be open safely then it has to be, but that dosent mean that its safe for all students to make it to school, and the teachers understand and respects this.
so nope no one will get into trouble for missing a day like today if its just not safe to get said kid to and from school!

itsteven
21-Dec-10, 15:01
My boy went to school today in wick but only becouse he has his party today kept my wee girl off i have to walk down and get him not lookin forward to it as i am 7 months pregnant and i hate the thought of falling but it has to be done.

hope everyone stays safe x

Tristan
21-Dec-10, 15:03

LOL - was thinking the exact same thing!

Moonboots
21-Dec-10, 15:04
What annoys me the most is the last time we had a snow fall...
The schools got closed quite quickly and that was with just alittle bit of snow on the ground.
Now the schools are open with the paths being really bad and low temperatures.

How can they justify themselves....

crashbandicoot1979
21-Dec-10, 15:18
What annoys me the most is the last time we had a snow fall...
The schools got closed quite quickly and that was with just alittle bit of snow on the ground.
Now the schools are open with the paths being really bad and low temperatures.

How can they justify themselves....

Maybe they got a hard time last time for shutting too quickly? As Ju said, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't..........

aurora32
21-Dec-10, 15:27
My 2 didnt got today as our driveway is full of slippy hard iced over snow and freezing cold and there was no way after seeing the state of the pavementsand roads late last night before the frost i was letting them walk to school, especially my daughter who has just recovered from a serious broken arm that had to be pinned back together and told if it was injured again they didnt hold much hope for it being saved, not worth it in my opinion.

Tristan
21-Dec-10, 15:33
My guess would be one reason schools are open today is because of pressure from the council from parents complaining about them closing last time. As Ju said "Damned if they do, damned if they don't."

Vistravi
21-Dec-10, 15:40
Schools OPEN?

I remember walking to snow when it was high on my legs as a child. Did me no harm. Just got to move fast and of course wear appropraite clothing like wellies and snowsuits.

But on the other side i know what you mean as yesterday i was out hunting for a sledge and it was ridiculous as to how high the mounds of snow on edge of the pavements were. Leaped over several just to get get over. Risky when your on a main road.

Today thankfully we have managed to get the car going and unstuck so can get to my partner's parents house to modify the sledge for Sami's use. Basically we are going to level it of inside and put in a 5 point harness and pull him about like the indians do lol. Hopefully make it all detachable somehow so can use it as a sledge properly next year.

brandy
21-Dec-10, 15:48
today while down the town, the packed snow was so high on both sides of the street that it was very diff. for people to cross. i was able to help two older ladies to get across the street. it was nearly knee high from the street side so stepping onto the street and up onto it was diff.
saying that i had a giggle.. been a long time since ive helped a little old lady cross the road! *G*

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 15:56
Town is awful! The compacted snow on the sides of the road are a nightmare. It was the same trying to cross the road to get to the school. Even I found it hard to "get my leg over" so to speak (!) and Im a fairly agile 28yr old!