PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Boyle

Kevin Milkins
20-Dec-10, 19:58
I'm a fan of "on the edge comedy" and Frankie Boyle has been a popular choice for many including myself, however, I have watched two episodes of his Tramadol Nights and found them both disappointing.:(

Is it me becoming an old fart that fails to see something? or, are there many like minded fans that have found this series a bit over the top with unnecessary use of language and very close to the knuckle comments?:eek:

I got the impression he was struggling for laughs and even most of his live audience felt embarrassed by him.:confused

Scarybiscuits03
20-Dec-10, 20:02
I went to see him live in Inverness and he was fantastic! Watched the first episode of tramadol nights and turned it over half way through....very dissappointed!!!
The OH on the other hand, thought it was great and very cleverly done???!!

Ash87
20-Dec-10, 20:06
I know a few people who saw him in Aberdeen recently and afterwards said the show was '80% funny 20% too close to the bone'

Iv never been a huge fan of Frankie Boyle anyway but it's never good when they start to 'cross the line' :)

golach
20-Dec-10, 20:09
Have never found him particularly amusing, except while he is on Mock the Week, I find many other stand up entertainers more amusing. Dara o'Briain, Al Murray, Bill Bailey to name a few, maybe I am biased against so called comedians from West of Harthill.

upolian
20-Dec-10, 20:18
He is a funny guy!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=frankie+boyle+most+offensive&aq=0

cherokee
20-Dec-10, 20:41
TBH - i'd never heard of this "person"........

Then I did..................

Good Grief, could anyone in their "correct mind" even give a second of their time to such utter and complete tripe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually feel very sorry for those who would even consider viewing such an atrocious act !!!!

Competely DISGUSTING !!!!!

RecQuery
20-Dec-10, 20:43
I find the guy funny, perhaps a bit of a bully but still funny. I'd sit no where near the front if I were going to see him.

It's a bit telling though, I mean he left the BBC for demanding that he do material on certain things and for censoring him too much. Yet there's nothing particularly great about his stuff on Channel 4 he just insults celebrities.

cherokee
20-Dec-10, 21:04
My OH wants me to add this BTW ........

" This is the most disgusting, foul-mouthed, rude, derogatory, so called comedian, ever to be presented on television"

His foul-mouthed opinions of general day-to-day life and people are unbelievably offensive "

" The most disgusting comedian I have EVER come across in my life ; and I like and thoroughly enjoy comedy. "

Gronnuck
20-Dec-10, 21:14
I got the impression he was struggling for laughs and even most of his live audience felt embarrassed by him.:confused

I use to be a fan but now I think the man is a class A plonker and a nasty mean spirited numptie,[disgust]. When a comedian has to resort to insulting a child with Down’s syndrome and the disabled child of minor celeb he should retire. In the case of Frankie Boyle there’s a particular slimy area under a stone in my garden for him to crawl under.

Scarybiscuits03
20-Dec-10, 21:16

" This is the most disgusting, foul-mouthed, rude, derogatory, so called comedian, ever to be presented on television"

His foul-mouthed opinions of general day-to-day life and people are unbelievably offensive "

" The most disgusting comedian I have EVER come across in my life ; and I like and thoroughly enjoy comedy. "

In order to watch Frankie you must not be easily offended!
That is his "style" and he has become very popular because of it - he is certainly different to other comedians!
:lol:

upolian
20-Dec-10, 21:20
That is his "style" and he has become very popular because of it - he is certainly different to other comedians!

Totally agree :)

Gronnuck
20-Dec-10, 21:22

IMO anyone who believes it is OK to denigrate disabled children is as much an uncouth bully as Frankie Boyle is,[disgust].

Scarybiscuits03
20-Dec-10, 21:23
IMO anyone who believes it is OK to denigrate disabled children is as much an uncouth bully as Frankie Boyle is,[disgust].

And everyone is entitled to an opinion;)

smithp
20-Dec-10, 21:24
Yes I agree with Kevin, Tramodol Nights is disappointing. I think some of the pure stand up is still funny - but Frankie transferring this to a visual sketch format just doesn't work yet.

Bazeye
20-Dec-10, 22:03
Tries too hard to be shocking and controversial IMO.

theone
20-Dec-10, 23:25
I've been disappointed with the programme (which I can't spell), but generally I like Boyle, or at least I have done in the past.

His style of mocking minorities is different to what most comedians do and quite refreshing. A break from political correctness.

I wonder if he'll be ousted on TV though because of the controversy about his comments in the press.

Time will tell, but I prefer him to Benny Hill!

Mystical Potato Head
21-Dec-10, 00:57
I use to be a fan but now I think the man is a class A plonker and a nasty mean spirited numptie,[disgust]. When a comedian has to resort to insulting a child with Down’s syndrome and the disabled child of minor celeb he should retire. In the case of Frankie Boyle there’s a particular slimy area under a stone in my garden for him to crawl under.

He is retiring!!

Shabbychic
21-Dec-10, 01:41
Don't like Frankie Boyle, just doesn't rock my boat. Much prefer Jerry Sadowitz. :D

Kevin Milkins
21-Dec-10, 02:20
It's a relief that it would seem that Frankie Boyle's latest series is not just a disappointment to me, I am not a prudish person and enjoy humour, but this latest effort sort of left me asking questions about myself.:confused

Metalattakk
21-Dec-10, 02:45
See, I thought he was excellent on "Mock the Week", a breath of fresh, politically incorrect air. His quips seemed tailor-made for the show. Then I saw a live gig late one night on some low-brow Sky channel, and it wasn't very good at all.

This new series (or what I've seen of it) sees Boyle sadly out of his depth, trading off on outrage over humour.

But then as long as he engenders hilarious over-reactions from Daily-Mail-reader-types like those below, then I say more power to his elbow. :D

TBH - i'd never heard of this "person"........

Then I did..................

Good Grief, could anyone in their "correct mind" even give a second of their time to such utter and complete tripe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually feel very sorry for those who would even consider viewing such an atrocious act !!!!

Competely DISGUSTING !!!!!

cherokee
21-Dec-10, 09:32
But then as long as he engenders hilarious over-reactions from Daily-Mail-reader-types like those below, then I say more power to his elbow. :D

Actually, my OH reads the "Times" !

honey
21-Dec-10, 10:07
i think he's hilarious, and was gutted to miss his glasgow show, but not enjoying tramadol nights. The sketches are rubbish and he went to far with his 'jokes' about jade goody and harvey.

The Angel Of Death
21-Dec-10, 11:15
I think his comedy is great but the show is more or less all the material on his new dvd / tour with some sketches thrown in for good messure

As with everything else i cant understand all the offended people its like everything else if you dont like it etc then why watch it i mean i dont do x factor or the soaps and simply just dont watch them unlike some people who watch it simply to moan about the show i just dont get that

changilass
21-Dec-10, 11:35
I havn't seen Tramodol Nights - when is it on?

I like the guy, as has been said, if you are easily offended, then why watch?

He is one of the few comedians I would actually pay to go see.

pretty green eyes
21-Dec-10, 12:14

Comedian....hmm

I think scarybiscuits is just trying to wind people up. [evil]
nobody can find making fun of disabled children comedy.....:eek:

pretty green eyes
21-Dec-10, 12:18
See, I thought he was excellent on "Mock the Week", a breath of fresh, politically incorrect air. His quips seemed tailor-made for the show. Then I saw a live gig late one night on some low-brow Sky channel, and it wasn't very good at all.

This new series (or what I've seen of it) sees Boyle sadly out of his depth, trading off on outrage over humour.

The daily mail have often offended people who are disabled and once even wrote a piece on why autistic children and how their parents would be better of not being born....feel free to google its there!!

pretty green eyes
21-Dec-10, 12:23
The daily mail have often offended people who are disabled and once even wrote a piece on why autistic children and how their parents would be better of not being born....feel free to google its there!!

in fact here is a group about it
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=129111045240

dont bracket people who dislike the ignorant as daily mail readers :)

RecQuery
21-Dec-10, 12:40
I'm quite happy with everything being allowed to be made fun of; nothing should have special protection, my problem with Frankie recently is he seems desperate, he's hardly edgy if all he does is go after the same five celebrities.

Were I in charge of a disabled pressure or advocacy group I'd throw it back at Frankie, do something like - 'it could be worse you could be Frankie Boyle'

Logical
21-Dec-10, 12:40

The poll they took says that 66% agree with them. Saying they should never have been born is a little insensitive though.:(

pretty green eyes
21-Dec-10, 12:45
The poll they took says that 66% agree with them. Saying they should never have been born is a little insensitive though.:(

Totaly insensitive which is what Frankie Boyle is being...Jordan is fair game she puts herself out there....her son isnt fair game.

I dont know what he said about Jade Goody but 2 little boys dont have a mum....im failing to find the comedy in that!

The mother of a down's child being verbaly attacked....comedy?? or bullying??

changilass
21-Dec-10, 12:57
Jordan put her son 'out there', when she had him on the front pages of newspapers and on her reality show, when she was after the popular vote.

I doubt that her son knows about what a comedian has said on a late night show, and if he does, again its his parents that are to blame, so whilst it may not be pc, I hardly think it could be classed as bullying either.

I would have thought the better thing to do if you don't like his humour would be to ignore him, all that is happening with all the outrage is giving him more coverage - surely what any comedian would want.

If instead of watching him to see what he said next, folks stayed away, then he wouldn't have an audience to play too.

It seems that its ok for minority groups to make fun of themselves, but if someone else does it, then they get jumped on from a height.

Metalattakk
21-Dec-10, 12:58
dont bracket people who dislike the ignorant as daily mail readers :)

Better?

[Daily Mail Reader] People who completely over-react in their dislike of the ignorant. [/Daily Mail Reader]

ducati
21-Dec-10, 12:58
Frankie Boyle? About as funny as Rabies in a dogs home.

pretty green eyes
21-Dec-10, 13:02
Jordan put her son 'out there', when she had him on the front pages of newspapers and on her reality show, when she was after the popular vote.

I doubt that her son knows about what a comedian has said on a late night show, and if he does, again its his parents that are to blame, so whilst it may not be pc, I hardly think it could be classed as bullying either.

The point is he is a CHILD disabled or not he is a child....an adult making fun of a child (all children cant defend themselves against an adult) thus makes it bullying. :eek:

crashbandicoot1979
21-Dec-10, 13:52
As much as his jokes about Harvey weren't funny, maybe it will make Jordan (and others) think twice about parading their children around on relality TV shows, therefore making them fair game to the likes of Frankie Boyle.

I agree with a lot of the other posters, he was brilliant on Mock the Week, but his new TV show is awful. I did find it offensive (and I'm not easily offended!) so I don't watch it. It wouldn't put me off watching his stand up though.

Scarybiscuits03
21-Dec-10, 15:01
Comedian....hmm

I think scarybiscuits is just trying to wind people up. [evil]
nobody can find making fun of disabled children comedy.....:eek:

How exactly is stating a fact "winding people up"??:confused
Making fun of children isn't all talks about.......he has other material too!
You'd be surprised to find that he has written a lot of material for sean lock and Jimmy Carr......He just keeps all the offensive stuff for himself!

dafi
21-Dec-10, 15:23
s sake its only humour. It dont need censoring by the daily mail readers to protect us from our selfs!!!

Saying that i think Frankie is hilarious but Tramadol nights is just to blatently going for the sensational at the cost of the spontanious and is weak as a result...Keep spitting it out tho Frankie!!!

Walter Ego
21-Dec-10, 15:34
I think X Celebrity Dancing Brother on Ice is all a load of tripe.

But I certainly wouldn't sit and watch it so that I could be 'outraged' at the banal goings-on that pass for entertainment on it. If you don't like it - switch it off, that's what I do.

As for Frankie Boyle, I haven't heard anyone I know give his new show the thumbs up. I'm a big fan of Frankie because of his no-holds-barred attitude, but, if the show is crap then I wouldn't support it.

Regarding Jordan.

She's an expert media manipulator who is more than happy to play the 'pity me and my poor child' to get coverage..and lets not forget the money that goes with it. If that backfires - then tough. Don't stick your kid in the limelight and expect to get it all your own way.

I'm sure there's plenty of people in the world of showbiz and media who have kids with handicaps, but we don't have to endure a constant barrage of mawkish copy from them, do we? Because they don't parade their kids for their own ends.

Mystical Potato Head
21-Dec-10, 18:58
I havn't seen Tramodol Nights - when is it on?

I like the guy, as has been said, if you are easily offended, then why watch?

He is one of the few comedians I would actually pay to go see.

I'm surprised the kangaroo court,with its patronising air of superiority, havent found you guilty of being "not of correct mind" for admitting you like him.

I'm also surprised that his parents havent been blamed yet.

Once the supremacists have passed judgement you will probably get the electric chair,your only hope is they hired Steven Hawking to flick the switch.(Frankie Boyle joke)

squidge
21-Dec-10, 20:03
I once was taken along to see Bernard manning at the embassy club in Manchester. I didn't like it and never went again. Frankie Boyle seems to me to be of the same type, mean, prejudiced, nasty, grumpy and unpleasant. I watched tramadol nights once to see if i was wrong but i wasnt and i won't watch it again. It doesn't offend me particularly but i don't find that sort of humour funny.

Bazeye
21-Dec-10, 20:58
Serious question here. Seeing as he doesnt seem to mind who he upsets or offends does he do any anti muslim jokes?

Kevin Milkins
21-Dec-10, 21:50
We have drifted away from what I was getting at in my original post, (nothing new there):lol:.

Until watching Tramadol Nights, Frankie Boyle would have been in the top five comedians that I would have liked to see live, the others being, Kevin Bridges, Al Murry, Billy Connolly and Rob Brydon, however, Tramadol Nights made me see him in a very different light and I didn't enjoy what I saw.:confused

The reason for asking the question, and I reiterate it, is Tramadol Nights a load of rubbish, or has my normal good sense of humor wained slightly.

I think by the answers of the majority it would seem the programme has cast the funny man in not such a good light.

For those die hard fans or otherwise that have not seen this programme, it is on tonight, 10-00 pm till 10-30, channel four.

redeyedtreefrog
21-Dec-10, 23:00
Tramadol Nights is amazing. Some of the sketches can be off but the good ones more than make up for it.

Nacho
21-Dec-10, 23:16
Serious question here. Seeing as he doesnt seem to mind who he upsets or offends does he do any anti muslim jokes?

half way through tonight's show, the answer would have to be a resounding 'yes' :lol:

changilass
21-Dec-10, 23:27
Tramadol nights is crap, I hate sketches.

Just glad I had seen some of his stand up first.

Nacho
21-Dec-10, 23:31
tonight's sketches were better than previous episodes, especially the A-Team and cookie monster :lol:

changilass
21-Dec-10, 23:32
If that's an improvement, then I am glad I never saw the earlier ones.

Doreen
21-Dec-10, 23:34
Ipersonally dont like him his humour is not funny in the least but for anyone that does not like it there is a button on your telly that can change channels or switch off and there is a warning before it starts.

Nacho
21-Dec-10, 23:39
Ipersonally dont like him his humour is not funny in the least but for anyone that does not like it there is a button on your telly that can change channels or switch off and there is a warning before it starts.

very well said

scorrie
22-Dec-10, 00:52
Tramadol Nights is amazing. Some of the sketches can be off but the good ones more than make up for it.

50p says it won't generate another series. Tom Tit

dafi
22-Dec-10, 00:56
I will have that 50p!!

I thought he was hilarious at times tonight...some of the scetches went on a bit though.

scorrie
22-Dec-10, 01:00
I will have that 50p!!

I thought he was hilarious at times tonight...some of the scetches went on a bit though.

Right, let's up the ante then. £5000 says it's history!!

Piss will always smell after a little while.

Maximo
22-Dec-10, 16:11
I've always loved Frankie Boyle and watch Mock the Week primarily to see him but Tramadol Nights is poor! He is close to the bone on a bit too much this series too.

M R
22-Dec-10, 18:31
God forbid he should make a joke about a disabled kid \ person ??????

1 thinks that some folk on here just have no sense of humour, A Joke is a Joke, doesn't matter if it's about dead people, murderers, politicians, members of his audience, it's just a damn joke, get over it. If you don't like it, DONT watch it, DONT read about it, Just dont.

LOL

Exactly !

Mystical Potato Head
22-Dec-10, 19:11
Well said indeed,but there are those that just have to complain,show there disgust,patronise and of course take the moral high ground.

Why these people think they have the right to question peoples state of mind or morals and some even like to question your integrity just because you have a certain point of view, in this case you happen to like Frankie Boyle.

That attitude is every bit as disgusting as Frankie's jokes.So for all you easily offeneded,moral high grounders why dont you sit down and watch some good family entertainment like......Family Guy...a harmless cartoon series.

Aussiewicker
22-Dec-10, 21:29
We have drifted away from what I was getting at in my original post, (nothing new there):lol:.

Until watching Tramadol Nights, Frankie Boyle would have been in the top five comedians that I would have liked to see live, the others being, Kevin Bridges, Al Murry, Billy Connolly and Rob Brydon, however, Tramadol Nights made me see him in a very different light and I didn't enjoy what I saw.:confused

The reason for asking the question, and I reiterate it, is Tramadol Nights a load of rubbish, or has my normal good sense of humor wained slightly.

I think by the answers of the majority it would seem the programme has cast the funny man in not such a good light.

For those die hard fans or otherwise that have not seen this programme, it is on tonight, 10-00 pm till 10-30, channel four.

No: you're right Kevin....

Fosters should re-think their sponsorship of Tramadol Nights: What once was good is now a GREAT BIG BUCKET O' SH*TE

redeyedtreefrog
22-Dec-10, 23:28
Most people aren't offended, they're just offended for others who may or may not exist.

Bazeye
22-Dec-10, 23:58
Most people aren't offended, they're just offended for others who may or may not exist.
And who arent probably offended in the first place.

Kevin Milkins
23-Dec-10, 08:55
I wasn't in the slightest bit offended by this programme, however, I turned in with great expectations of an extremely funny Frakie Boyle show, :Razz, and was very disappointed.:confused

Gizmo
23-Dec-10, 13:03
What Frankie says is no worse than all the text message jokes that get sent around as soon as someone famous dies. And many of you have privately laughed at those. There have also been dozens of text-jokes made about Jordan's son Harvey, and Madeline McCann over the years, and i would bet that a LOT of you who are complaining about Frankie, have privately laughed at those text-jokes as well. Most people know exactly what type of humour Frankie deals in, and if you are the type that gets offended by that kind of humour, there is a simple answer, just don't watch it.

As for 'Tramadol Nights', it's not his best work. 90% of the stand up material is already on his latest Dvd, and most of the sketches are struggling to be funny. Although, there was an improvement in the sketches on the two episodes shown this week. I don't get offended by anything Frankie says, or any other comedian for that matter. I may not find some of his newer material as funny as his older material, but i would never get offended by any of it.

The Drunken Duck
23-Dec-10, 17:48
I think Gizmo has it spot on. If you don't like it then don't watch or buy a ticket to his shows. Both are clearly marked as having adult humour that may offend, cant make it any easier than that.

I reckon Frankie is well aware of the effect of what he is saying, I like a lot of his humour but some of it not so much, but I haven't got offended by any of it. I think he says a lot of what he does to annoy the "I want to be outraged" brigade, you know, those people who watch his show so they can be offended and then moan about it. The Katie Price joke was about 6 seconds long and barely noticeable in the show but she then made a big song and dance about it like the attention seeker she is and drew EVERYONE's attention to it. It's amusing to me how a lot of groups representing "minorities" in society maintain they want to be treated like "everyone else". Whoever this mythical "everyone else" actually is. I know I don't get special treatment ahead of anyone. But you cant make jokes about these "minorities", or say anything they don't like, or have a point of view they don't like. Because then they decide they are actually "special" and want to be treated differently to the mysterious "everybody else" they previously aspired to and label you as (insert choice of trait here) phobic.

It's funny though how those "minority" group representatives who wade into the likes of Frankie are very quiet when Chris Rock bases an entire show on basically being racist about white people. Lets face it the only group of people you CAN make jokes about these days without invoking the wrath of someone who makes a living out of being offended are white heterosexual men. But we don't have any groups that cater specifically for us .. because that would be racist.

Maybe that ridiculous system is what Frankie is poking a stick at, and then enjoying the irony when they get themselves all wound up. I know I do.

Bazeye
23-Dec-10, 19:39
I think Gizmo has it spot on. If you don't like it then don't watch or buy a ticket to his shows. Both are clearly marked as having adult humour that may offend, cant make it any easier than that.

I reckon Frankie is well aware of the effect of what he is saying, I like a lot of his humour but some of it not so much, but I haven't got offended by any of it. I think he says a lot of what he does to annoy the "I want to be outraged" brigade, you know, those people who watch his show so they can be offended and then moan about it. The Katie Price joke was about 6 seconds long and barely noticeable in the show but she then made a big song and dance about it like the attention seeker she is and drew EVERYONE's attention to it. It's amusing to me how a lot of groups representing "minorities" in society maintain they want to be treated like "everyone else". Whoever this mythical "everyone else" actually is. I know I don't get special treatment ahead of anyone. But you cant make jokes about these "minorities", or say anything they don't like, or have a point of view they don't like. Because then they decide they are actually "special" and want to be treated differently to the mysterious "everybody else" they previously aspired to and label you as (insert choice of trait here) phobic.

It's funny though how those "minority" group representatives who wade into the likes of Frankie are very quiet when Chris Rock bases an entire show on basically being racist about white people. Lets face it the only group of people you CAN make jokes about these days without invoking the wrath of someone who makes a living out of being offended are white heterosexual men. But we don't have any groups that cater specifically for us .. because that would be racist.

Maybe that ridiculous system is what Frankie is poking a stick at, and then enjoying the irony when they get themselves all wound up. I know I do.

Spot on............

scorrie
23-Dec-10, 23:56
What Frankie says is no worse than all the text message jokes that get sent around as soon as someone famous dies. And many of you have privately laughed at those. There have also been dozens of text-jokes made about Jordan's son Harvey, and Madeline McCann over the years, and i would bet that a LOT of you who are complaining about Frankie, have privately laughed at those text-jokes as well. Most people know exactly what type of humour Frankie deals in, and if you are the type that gets offended by that kind of humour, there is a simple answer, just don't watch it.

As for 'Tramadol Nights', it's not his best work. 90% of the stand up material is already on his latest Dvd, and most of the sketches are struggling to be funny. Although, there was an improvement in the sketches on the two episodes shown this week. I don't get offended by anything Frankie says, or any other comedian for that matter. I may not find some of his newer material as funny as his older material, but i would never get offended by any of it.

I don't mind an off-colour joke at all. I DO however object to jokes that are not at all funny. I liked Frankie on Mock the Week but found that he was heading into territory where the aim seemed to be to shock the audience, rather than amuse.

As a TV licence payer, I feel I have the right to have entertaining shows put in front of me. It is all very well telling people to turn the channel over but why should we have to tolerate dross on TV, when we are paying for it?

I didn't buy Frankie's DVD of last year, as I had heard it was just a rehash of stuff he had done on TV before. Other times I have seen and read his material and have noticed a lot of reruns of previous gags. Maybe a lack of fresh material has led him to more desperate avenues for laughs. His book certainly received very mixed reviews.

I don't think any of our current comedians would like to be dubbed as the "King of the Mobile Text Message Joke" where the qualification for laughter is usually two brain cells, as opposed to two O grades.

Gizmo
24-Dec-10, 11:47
As a TV licence payer, I feel I have the right to have entertaining shows put in front of me. It is all very well telling people to turn the channel over but why should we have to tolerate dross on TV, when we are paying for it?

As far as i'm aware, you pay a Tv licence to watch the BBC Channels, it has nowt to do with Channel 4.

And yes, there is a lot of dross on Tv, X-Factor, BGT, Strictly, All those Next Top Model shows, and many many more. Those are the kind of shows that i find to be dross, you may disagree, and that's fine. But neither of us has to tolerate the kind of shows we dislike, as there are plenty of channels out there to choose from.

The Drunken Duck
24-Dec-10, 13:56
I don't mind an off-colour joke at all. I DO however object to jokes that are not at all funny

You sound like a workmate of mine who said "I'm all for free speech but he is unacceptable and should be banned" .. awesome, and delivered without a trace of irony. So you reckon off colour jokes are alright .. but only as long as you like them ??

Must be awful for you having to put up with people having tastes in humour you don't like, and you've missed the point of free speech completly.

scorrie
24-Dec-10, 16:20
As far as i'm aware, you pay a Tv licence to watch the BBC Channels, it has nowt to do with Channel 4.

And yes, there is a lot of dross on Tv, X-Factor, BGT, Strictly, All those Next Top Model shows, and many many more. Those are the kind of shows that i find to be dross, you may disagree, and that's fine. But neither of us has to tolerate the kind of shows we dislike, as there are plenty of channels out there to choose from.

Try using the excuse that you don't watch BBC channels, as an excuse for not buying a TV licence and see how you get on!!

Sky TV has hundreds of channels but most of it is pish. Is that acceptable value for money simply because there are plenty to choose from. You are missing my point.

scorrie
24-Dec-10, 16:26
You sound like a workmate of mine who said "I'm all for free speech but he is unacceptable and should be banned" .. awesome, and delivered without a trace of irony. So you reckon off colour jokes are alright .. but only as long as you like them ??

Must be awful for you having to put up with people having tastes in humour you don't like, and you've missed the point of free speech completly.

You sound like a guy who does not know what the hell they are talking about. You are missing my point entirely. I don't mind jokes on ANY topic, but I demand that they are actually FUNNY. Bad Taste "Jokes" for no other sake than pushing the limits of what some people consider to be acceptable make no point to me if there is no wit contained within.

Who are you to tell me about free speech? You have no idea who I am.

theone
24-Dec-10, 16:43

I think that's one of the best posts on here for quite a while.

Gizmo
24-Dec-10, 17:10
I don't mind jokes on ANY topic, but I demand that they are actually FUNNY.

What a pompous thing to say.

So your own personal opinion is the gauge that should be used to judge the funniness of a joke?. What qualifies you to judge a joke as Bad Taste?, are you somehow morally superior to someone who doesn't share your sense of humour?

Gizmo
24-Dec-10, 17:37
Try using the excuse that you don't watch BBC channels, as an excuse for not buying a TV licence and see how you get on!!

I'm well aware the you are required by law to have a Tv licence, regardless of the channels you watch. That was not the point i was making. The Tv licence fee funds the BBC, not Channel 4, so you have no right to demand that Channel 4 meet your acceptable standards in entertainment.

Sky TV has hundreds of channels but most of it is pish. Is that acceptable value for money simply because there are plenty to choose from. You are missing my point.

Again, that's only your opinion

The Drunken Duck
24-Dec-10, 17:47
You sound like a guy who does not know what the hell they are talking about. You are missing my point entirely. I don't mind jokes on ANY topic, but I demand that they are actually FUNNY. Bad Taste "Jokes" for no other sake than pushing the limits of what some people consider to be acceptable make no point to me if there is no wit contained within.

Who are you to tell me about free speech? You have no idea who I am.

And .... breathe.

You haven't got a clue what your TV Licence pays for but you tell others they don't know what they are on about ?? .. the "sponsored by .." messages on Tramadol Nights are a BIG clue to how it's funded.

What you consider funny is YOUR preference. Complaining about humour you don't like is pointless. There are just so many levels and sick humour will always be present. I have heard some seriously sick jokes and laughed at them, that is my right. You can "demand" that any humour on TV you don't like is instantly replaced by something you do by a big button that changes the channel. Sitting watching it, like lots of people do, just to have something to get outraged about is funny to me. Its like allowing yourself to be kicked in the genitals just so you can complain that it hurts.

scorrie
24-Dec-10, 22:44
What a pompous thing to say.

So your own personal opinion is the gauge that should be used to judge the funniness of a joke?. What qualifies you to judge a joke as Bad Taste?, are you somehow morally superior to someone who doesn't share your sense of humour?

You are talking nonsense. I am NOT speaking about what makes a joke bad taste or not. I am talking about whether a joke is FUNNY or not. I am well positioned to judge whether a joke is bad taste AND funny, or bad taste and NOT funny. How so? Because it is MY opinion. That is simple enough to understand, yet it seems beyond your comprehension.

Walter Ego
24-Dec-10, 22:49
We need the Funny Police implementing Funny Laws to decide what is funny....this is, after all, no laughing matter.....

scorrie
24-Dec-10, 22:58
And .... breathe.

You haven't got a clue what your TV Licence pays for but you tell others they don't know what they are on about ?? .. the "sponsored by .." messages on Tramadol Nights are a BIG clue to how it's funded.

What you consider funny is YOUR preference. Complaining about humour you don't like is pointless. There are just so many levels and sick humour will always be present. I have heard some seriously sick jokes and laughed at them, that is my right. You can "demand" that any humour on TV you don't like is instantly replaced by something you do by a big button that changes the channel. Sitting watching it, like lots of people do, just to have something to get outraged about is funny to me. Its like allowing yourself to be kicked in the genitals just so you can complain that it hurts.

My TV licence allows me to turn on my TV set without breaking the law. Dress that fact up any way you wish but you will find that I cannot operate my TV legally without buying a licence. If you can accept that fact through your haze of nonsense, you will move onto the notion that complaining about TV programs is not pointless, along with switching that same crap off. TV companies work on this bizarre system called "Ratings" this works by looking at how many people watch a program and taking feedback about how the program was received. If the program is slated and not watched in numbers it will be cancelled. This means that the POINTLESS exercise is making comedy shows that are NOT funny.

I do NOT continue to watch TV shows I don't like. By YOUR logic, this means I am NOT free to criticise those programs or to expect better when I turn the TV on. I realise Frankie is an Idol to some people. Good luck to them. I think his new show sucks, and I am not alone. Waffle all the nonsense you wish, I think this show will be cancelled and it has hee haw to do with freedom of speech and fanciful technicalities about TV funding. I need to buy a TV licence, end of story, period, Finito Benito Mussolinio.

scorrie
24-Dec-10, 22:59
, no laughing matter.....

No laughing matter = Tramadol Nights ;)

Gizmo
24-Dec-10, 23:41
No laughing matter = Tramadol Nights ;)

He shoots, he scores, my sides are splitting, not!!

At least we now know what level of humour is required to tickle your fancy [smirk]

scorrie
25-Dec-10, 02:28
He shoots, he scores, my sides are splitting, not!!

At least we now know what level of humour is required to tickle your fancy [smirk]

That gag was dedicated to the brainless followers of Frankie Boyle. Perhaps if it had contained references to babies dying, it might have tickled the funny bones of those numb nuts sad sacks. ;) (

Smirky type icon thing for those incapable of their own wit added please)

joxville
25-Dec-10, 02:35
As much as I like Frankie, I think he's clutching at straws with Tramadol Nights, I just didn't find it all that funny, and also feel I wasted my money paying full price for his book. That said, if you don't like what him then don't watch his shows.

The Angel Of Death
25-Dec-10, 02:39
That gag was dedicated to the brainless followers of Frankie Boyle. Perhaps if it had contained references to babies dying, it might have tickled the funny bones of those numb nuts sad sacks. ;) (

Smirky type icon thing for those incapable of their own wit added please)

So in a nutshell unless you find it funny then it’s clearly not ?

All bow down before the god of funny (yup sarcasm in its finest form)

Come on you find something funny that I don't and then I find something I find something funny that you don't are we all the same ? Nope were all different that's what makes us all unique

Simple answer is each to their own I say as stated before multiple times if you don't like it change the channel I don't moan about dancing on ice and x factor and all that other crap on TV that I pay a TV licence for so if you don't like Frankie then turn over than channel no one is forcing you to watch it

scorrie
25-Dec-10, 15:15
So in a nutshell unless you find it funny then it’s clearly not ?

All bow down before the god of funny (yup sarcasm in its finest form)

Come on you find something funny that I don't and then I find something I find something funny that you don't are we all the same ? Nope were all different that's what makes us all unique

Simple answer is each to their own I say as stated before multiple times if you don't like it change the channel I don't moan about dancing on ice and x factor and all that other crap on TV that I pay a TV licence for so if you don't like Frankie then turn over than channel no one is forcing you to watch it

You are also missing the point. I am NOT watching Tramadol Nights or X Factor or Dancing on Ice. I came into this thread because it was about Tramadol Nights. I feel it is within my right to come onto this forum, pick a thread topic and then comment on it. Turning the channel over is age-old nonsense, it has nothing whatever to do with making your opinion known about any particular show that anyone has opened a thread making an opinion about and inviting the opinions of other people. This has more to do with people trying to defend their comedy hero in the face of criticism. Ratings and reviews will have the final word. Most seem to agree that the show is poor. Nothing to be proud of, I would have thought, no matter how much you consider yourself to be pushing the boundaries of comedic material. Dress a turd up as bonny as you like, polish it to a shine and it will still smell like a turd.

Gizmo
25-Dec-10, 17:29
This has more to do with people trying to defend their comedy hero in the face of criticism.

Who said Frankie was their comedy hero?, certainly not me, or anyone else that i can remember in this thread. I've already said that i didn't think Tramadol Nights was that funny. This thread has veered off in another direction, namely your self important attitude to comedy and what you deem to be worthy viewing for your licence fee.

M R
26-Dec-10, 00:52
You are also missing the point. I am NOT watching Tramadol Nights or X Factor or Dancing on Ice. I came into this thread because it was about Tramadol Nights

So if your not watching it wtf are you doing talking absolute fish about it.

I could quote so many ridiculous things you have said in this 1 thread, but i gave up, I DEMAND GOOD JOKES LOL, what are you on.

Go and find the sense of humour you have clearly lost.

Merry Xmas

:Razz

The Drunken Duck
26-Dec-10, 13:25
Wetting myself here. Can you imagine the complaint from Scorrie based on this thread ??

"Hello this is Scorrie. Yes, I would like to complain about this show Tramadol Nights. I havent watched it but I think it's disgraceful. I pay my Licence fee and I demand that any comedy that is off colour be funny"

"Erm .. this is the BBC, we dont make it .. have you tried ringing Channel 4 ??"

"Dont come that with me young lady .. I know that if I tried to watch only Channel 4 you would still try and charge me for a licence. I know your wily ways"

"No we wouldn't, you only pay a TV licence to watch BBC programmes some of which ARE on other Channels, but not Channel 4. If you have a complaint about Frankie Boyle I would ring Channel 4. I think he is just the third Proclaimer though, you know the evil one they hid at birth. Or actually the bear on Bo Selecta, he does look a bit like him"

"Oh so that's it .. defending your hero now are we ??"

"Eh ?? .. You have just rung me to complain about a programme we dont make on the basis it is funded by a licence that sends no money to the Channel that does. And all for a programme you have never seen hosted by a comedian you dont find funny"

"Erm .. yes well .. Look I demand that any humour I might not like be at least funny !!"

"Ok, you obviously dont watch humour you dont like based on your Tramadol Nights "complaint" so how are you going to know and ensure that the humour you dont like is going to be funny if you dont watch it ??

"Erm .. "

"Goodbye Sir."

Sorry Scorrie, meant tongue in cheek but you have to admit .. you walked right into that one !!

scorrie
26-Dec-10, 15:56
So if your not watching it wtf are you doing talking absolute fish about it.

I could quote so many ridiculous things you have said in this 1 thread, but i gave up, I DEMAND GOOD JOKES LOL, what are you on.

Go and find the sense of humour you have clearly lost.

Merry Xmas

:Razz

Sorry that you are slow on the uptake. I tried Tramadol Nights, didn't like it and stopped watching it. Some people here seem to think I am watching it AND complaining about it.

This thread is about Tramadol Nights and what people think about it and Frankie Boyle. I am passing on MY opinion on both.

I pay a TV licence fee, as I have already explained I cannot watch Tramadol Nights without having paid for the licence. Most people seem unable to grasp this concept.

I would think that anyone who watches a comedian in action would expect to be entertained with decent jokes. Unless there is some masochistic satisfaction to be obtained from hearing poor jokes, I would assume that ALL people are looking for funny material. For some reason, the slower of understanding think that this is an arrogant demand on my part. Simple logic will tell you it is what all people do with any form of entertainment. Pardon me for wishing to be entertained by people who are professional entertainers!!

scorrie
26-Dec-10, 16:15
Who said Frankie was their comedy hero?, certainly not me, or anyone else that i can remember in this thread. I've already said that i didn't think Tramadol Nights was that funny. This thread has veered off in another direction, namely your self important attitude to comedy and what you deem to be worthy viewing for your licence fee.

Dear Gizmo, (ye of the thumb down and other cartoon icon type thingies)

When you watch a comedian, do you think it is more important that YOU find the material funny, or is it better that all around you are hooting with amusement while you are cringing and wondering what the hell they find amusing about material that leaves you cold?

I think you will find that most people want to be entertained themselves, it is the nature of the human being.

Talking about my self-important attitude to comedy is clearly illogical and has much more to do with the fact that you have never liked my style on this forum. If you are happy to pay money and not get any value for it then that is fine by me. It should be equally fine with you that I expect good programming for the money I pay for my Licence. Again, many people will share my expectations.

I am tired of the assumptions made by some people on this forum, that I am such and such a type of person, remind them of someone at their work etc

The fact is that you know next to nothing about me, as is the situation with most of the posters on this forum. I will continue to post what I see fit to put here. There is no fee for reading this forum and I am not advertising myself as an entertainer. There is a great piece of advice I am going to offer you now:-

If you don't like my posts, use your own mantra and turn them OFF. You will find there is an off button kindly provided for this purpose by the admin of the site.

gleeber
26-Dec-10, 16:45
Dear Gizmo, (ye of the thumb down and other cartoon icon type thingies)
The fact is that you know next to nothing about me

That's not strictly true Scorrie. We know you on here by your internet personna. That's what the guys are reacting to. No matter what anyone may think we leave traces of our personalities on the org when we get involved with the forums and many of us leave more than a trace.
Anyway, I think Frankie Boyle is funny and very clever. I widna dare judge him. Tramadol nights is a fairly average comedy show but one of his sketches from the first one I ever saw would be in my top 10 list of comedy greats. I know it says more about me than Frankie Boyle, but forgive me.
I think the way he parodies the more lurid parts of human existance to poke fun at is clever. I only ever saw that one episode.

Gizmo
26-Dec-10, 16:59
you have never liked my style on this forum.

Finally, something we can agree on.

Gizmo
26-Dec-10, 18:36
I think the way he parodies the more lurid parts of human existance to poke fun at is clever

Agreed, and those parts are the ones that the whingers are upset about. He's not said or implied, anything controversial that isn't true. He basically points out the general hypocrisy of humans in a very blunt way. And many people are just uncomfortable with hearing the truth in such a way.

scorrie
27-Dec-10, 01:44
That's not strictly true Scorrie. We know you on here by your internet personna. That's what the guys are reacting to. No matter what anyone may think we leave traces of our personalities on the org when we get involved with the forums and many of us leave more than a trace.
Anyway, I think Frankie Boyle is funny and very clever. I widna dare judge him. Tramadol nights is a fairly average comedy show but one of his sketches from the first one I ever saw would be in my top 10 list of comedy greats. I know it says more about me than Frankie Boyle, but forgive me.
I think the way he parodies the more lurid parts of human existance to poke fun at is clever. I only ever saw that one episode.

Internet Persona does not reflect accurately on real life in my experience. I wouldn't recommend it as a way of judging anyone. For example, Gizmo comes across as shallow and someone with a chip on his shoulder on this forum, yet I don't expect he would be that way in real life.

trix
27-Dec-10, 02:02
Piss will always smell after a little while.

what's 'iss?? a wee sweary scorrie?

oh dear, am no sure 'ats allowed....far be it for me til point it oot til ye tho - (stickin oot ma towng at ye but da ken 'e smilie for'ed) ;)

happy christmas til ye x x

trix
27-Dec-10, 02:59
Sky TV has hundreds of channels but most of it is pish.

oops.....an again!! :Razz

i hev til say, what a laugh av hed readin 'iss thried....top class entertainment :)

gleeber
27-Dec-10, 11:51
Internet Persona does not reflect accurately on real life in my experience. I wouldn't recommend it as a way of judging anyone.

I couldna argue with your experience although mine could be different. Interent personnas are just a projection of the person we are and as such are as real as we are ourselves or whatever that means.

Gizmo
27-Dec-10, 12:45
Gizmo comes across as shallow and someone with a chip on his shoulder on this forum, yet I don't expect he would be that way in real life.

And you're as arrogant as the day is long, and i would imagine you're that way in real life as well.

scorrie
27-Dec-10, 19:15
I'll leave this with some reviews of Tramadol Nights, ones that I found AFTER I had said my piece:-

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/reviews/850503-frankie-boyles-tramadol-nights-insulted-cancer-victims-and-our-funny-bones

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/film-tv-reviews/frankie-boyle-s-tramadol-nights-channel-4-tuesday-1.1072779

And I gave my opinion regarding Frankie's comedy direction before the above articles, on this forum on 9th April 2009:-

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?73161-Comedians&p=531824#post531824