PDA

View Full Version : wick flights

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 08:01
thats this mornings 7am flight to aberdeen being held until 8.30am now
and with the snow thats falling just now, even that looks dodgy!

Thumper
20-Dec-10, 08:13
typical,my son is due up on the 11am Edinburgh flight :( x

Venture
20-Dec-10, 08:59
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12024300

Thumper I hope it won't be too long before he is home.

lindsaymcc
20-Dec-10, 09:01
Aberdeen flight now showing as cancelled.

dragonfly
20-Dec-10, 09:03
my daughter took 7 hours to get from dundee to inverness yesterday and now she's stuck in Ness! not sure if buses are running, know the train lines blocked in a couple of places but don't know if bussing between blockages!

Its time for this snow to go please

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 09:05
the morning flight is now cancelled,
oh told to "try" the 11.30 flight......
his connection from aberdeen to birmingham cancelled too.

(day two of trying to get offshore! lol)

Venture
20-Dec-10, 09:10
It's chaos everywhere. I have a nephew who was on holiday and has been stuck at Geneva Airport since Saturday as he can't land at Gatwick. Just shows how powerful and disruptive mother nature can be.

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 09:12
we're quite fortunate that we're happy he can't get off. ;)
i feel sorry for those desperate to get home :(

Thumper
20-Dec-10, 09:21
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12024300

Thumper I hope it won't be too long before he is home.

Thanks Venture,I have everything crossed!x

lindsaymcc
20-Dec-10, 09:27
My dad is due up on Wednesday, not looking good. He can seem to get to Edinburgh but its getting up from there that seems the problem!

Thumper
20-Dec-10, 09:33
so far flight is going,although delayed by 25 mins or so,but hopefully it will still go!x

porshiepoo
20-Dec-10, 09:59
Hope tonights flight from Aberdeen makes it up.
My mums on the evening one from East Midlands to Wick via Aberdeen. It's showing as scheduled at all airports at the mo but that could quite easily change.

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 10:06
making the long run to wick airport again...
will let you know if the 11.30 gets off......

lindsaymcc
20-Dec-10, 10:15
if the 11.30 gets off, it means the 11am arrival has made it!!! Keep us posted! x

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 12:33
he's in departures...

Thumper
20-Dec-10, 12:53
Edinburgh to Wick boarding now whoo hoo!x

lindsaymcc
20-Dec-10, 12:59
Excellent news!!! I can cope with a wee delay!

Just big hopes and prayers for Wednesday!

Thumper
20-Dec-10, 13:02
I will keep my fingers crossed for you,I am so glad my son is getting home :) x

mums angels
20-Dec-10, 13:03
the morning flight is now cancelled,
oh told to "try" the 11.30 flight......
his connection from aberdeen to birmingham cancelled too.

(day two of trying to get offshore! lol)

I'd get him to give up trying .. lol he might aswell get to stay at home for xmas as thousands wont :)

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 13:06
I'd get him to give up trying .. lol he might aswell get to stay at home for xmas as thousands wont :)

i wish!
his work have sent him to aberdeen although he now has no flights booked to get him to istanbul!
(missed all connections with this mornings plnae being late)
so he'll be sitting in aberdeen until they find him some :(
should've let him come home until they had a whole route booked again! ;)

porshiepoo
20-Dec-10, 13:28
Fingers crossed for all those hoping to fly in and out over the next few days.

Hoping that we don't have a dumping of snow this afternoon to affect flights tonight. I may get to see my mum after all. :)

mums angels
20-Dec-10, 13:33
i wish!
his work have sent him to aberdeen although he now has no flights booked to get him to istanbul!
(missed all connections with this mornings plnae being late)
so he'll be sitting in aberdeen until they find him some :(
should've let him come home until they had a whole route booked again! ;)

LOL i know how that one can be .. its ok for them to be stranded somewhere trying to get home and some companies wont even try to get flights rebooked or make alternative arrangements but the minute our men can't get out to work for them they are really quick to make arrangements grrr . Hubby was told this morning that they wont send him off if his back to back doesnt make it on his flight this afternoon from heathrow as he will have to cover .. you can imagine what my hubby said to that !! :lol:

annemarie482
21-Dec-10, 08:37
i see the morning flight to aberdeen was cancelled again.........

porshiepoo
21-Dec-10, 09:21
Yep, apparently there weren't enough passengers to warrant the flight.

maidenmania
21-Dec-10, 09:32

No surprise there, if they made it value for money would be full every day. I fly to Inverness then train rest of way could fly to Aberdeen then Wick but Wick leg is so expensive not worth it.

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 09:49
I wondered if it was because they need to defrost the runway before a plane can land, but if there isnt enough people on the flight, is there that much harm in waiting for the next one? Inconvenient, yes, but considering how many thousands of people are being affected by the airports at the moment, I think Wick are doing exceptionally well.

On the issue of price/affordability, I totally agree. My dad can get from London to Edinburgh/Inverness for less than £30 but the Wick leg is in the region of £150! We managed to get the return flights London - Edinburgh - Wick for £160 by booking well in advance, but looking today, the Edinburgh-Wick single trip fare tomorrow is £151.00! I dont know how they can justify it!

Venture
21-Dec-10, 11:55
I don't know which flight it is but one definitely took off from Wick about 5 minutes ago. Hope everyone manages to arrive safe and on time.

Amy-Winehouse
21-Dec-10, 12:26
I wondered if it was because they need to defrost the runway before a plane can land, but if there isnt enough people on the flight, is there that much harm in waiting for the next one? Inconvenient, yes, but considering how many thousands of people are being affected by the airports at the moment, I think Wick are doing exceptionally well.

On the issue of price/affordability, I totally agree. My dad can get from London to Edinburgh/Inverness for less than £30 but the Wick leg is in the region of £150! We managed to get the return flights London - Edinburgh - Wick for £160 by booking well in advance, but looking today, the Edinburgh-Wick single trip fare tomorrow is £151.00! I dont know how they can justify it!

I had this nonsense in 2008. I had a 10am check in so I used to fly down on the 7am flight, get my breakfast & wander round to the heliport until the December flight when they took the plane out of the hanger way too early & because we dont have an anti-freeze device for the wings on the plane- it froze up!!!![lol]

The airline then said theyd make the call at 9 am whether to fly but because there were 5 passengers on the 2nd flight at 11am , the ecconomics set in & the 7am was cancelled thus making me miss my check in in Dyce & incurring the wrath of my employer & gaining a written warning for my efforts in not getting to work!!! It didnt matter that the day before , I wouldnt have gotten to Dyce as the rail & roads were all blocked.

After that I flew the night before my check in but Id rather be in my own bed than a hotel or B&B in Aberdeen or Dyce.

All the choppers appear to be flying today which is good news for some.....:~(

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 14:31
I don't know which flight it is but one definitely took off from Wick about 5 minutes ago. Hope everyone manages to arrive safe and on time.

That was the aberdeen flight. Im hopeful for the Edinburgh - Wick landing tomorrow!

lindsaymcc
21-Dec-10, 19:14
MUMS ANGELS - any news on your hubby?! I do hope he has made it some of the way home by now xx

MileHigh
21-Dec-10, 20:06

I doubt that was the case. The aircraft would have to position into Aberdeen for onward
Flights on the Eastern Network from Aberdeen. Possibly due to freezing tempertures not sure if they have equipment to de-ice Aircraft in Wick ?

miller30
21-Dec-10, 23:28
My Hubby is due home tom flying into Wick on the late flight!!! please please let it get here, or i will have tearful kiddies, and an upset wife. Its the not knowing that makes it all worse.

Fingers crossed for everyone who is waiting for loved ones to come home.xx

mums angels
21-Dec-10, 23:29
MUMS ANGELS - any news on your hubby?! I do hope he has made it some of the way home by now xx

Sad news i am afraid , flight didnt take off from Johanasburg and the earliest one they seem to be able to book him on is friday night at 8.50pm arriving xmas morning at 6.05 in london so still too far from home to make a difference :(

how about you hows things going , hope your luck is better than mine :)

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 00:21
oh mums angels, im so sorry!!!! I feel really bad for you and the kiddies now. Any chance of putting off christmas until he is home?!

All looking good actually for dad to get up tomorrow. All flights scheduled at the moment, so just praying nothing too drastic happens overnight! I know Wick flights have been delayed by an hour or 2 today, but i can cope with that if I know he is definately going to get here.

Now just to work out whether he should get the bus into Thurso or whether hubby should risk the roads!

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 00:26
oh mums angels, im so sorry!!!! I feel really bad for you and the kiddies now. Any chance of putting off christmas until he is home?!

All looking good actually for dad to get up tomorrow. All flights scheduled at the moment, so just praying nothing too drastic happens overnight! I know Wick flights have been delayed by an hour or 2 today, but i can cope with that if I know he is definately going to get here.

Now just to work out whether he should get the bus into Thurso or whether hubby should risk the roads!

Thanks for that ... downfall of the job really . Will postpone most of it they will be excited no matter when they open them . One year we waited to the 6th January for him to be home to open some of the presents so will survive just harder when we know he should have been here . Would have been easier if it was just a case of him schedueled to be off in the first place . Was a shock as i assumed he'd gone as flight was showing scheduled and on time :confused

Good luck for tomorrow hopefully it will all go smoothly .
Friends of mine went to wick ok today so should be fine :)

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 08:26
Not good news today. His Stansted - Edinburgh flight has been cancelled, and so looks like he will miss the Edinburgh-Wick connection. Just waiting til 8am to see if there is a seat available on the 8.45am flight into Edinburgh which would mean he would JUST make the connection but not looking good.

Basically means we have 2 options. Dad waits at the airport for the 1.50pm flight, and then he gets the train to Inverness where we pick him up or he claims a refund on the flights and goes home :~(

Thumper
22-Dec-10, 08:32
aww I am sorry,I will keep my fingers crossed that your dad makes it up x

Venture
22-Dec-10, 08:54
I feel for you both and your families. Lindsaymcc I hope your Dad makes it one way or the other and mums angels I hope you and your family have the best belated Christmas ever with hubby when he does get home.

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 09:26
Some good news!

He has got a seat on the 8.45am flight to Edinburgh which gets him in at 10am. The wick flight is due to leave at 11am, so all good so far..... wont be totally happy until he is on the Wick flight, but WOO HOO!

Thumper
22-Dec-10, 09:30
aww thats great news!x

dragonfly
22-Dec-10, 09:31
fingers crossed for him getting up Lindsay

Venture
22-Dec-10, 10:19
Lindsay the train if he does use it, is running today but only between Inverness and Wick. I imagine a bus will be laid on for the journey to Thurso. Best check.

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 10:36
Not good news today. His Stansted - Edinburgh flight has been cancelled, and so looks like he will miss the Edinburgh-Wick connection. Just waiting til 8am to see if there is a seat available on the 8.45am flight into Edinburgh which would mean he would JUST make the connection but not looking good.

Basically means we have 2 options. Dad waits at the airport for the 1.50pm flight, and then he gets the train to Inverness where we pick him up or he claims a refund on the flights and goes home :~(

Sorry to hear that I had been hoping that things would go better for you than it did for us . Keep us posted and hope he manages with not to many delays .

On a positive. Note things may statr moving quicker for my hubby yet ...hope is back in sight :)

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 11:41
Fingers crossed Mums angels!

Im losing a bit of hope now...... Dad has just landed in Edinburgh, he needs to get off the plane, through to the flybe/loganair check in desk, check in (PRAYING THEY WILL LET HIM) and get through to departures and to the gate for the wick flight. Wick flight currently saying expected to depart at 11.50am..... just concerned they wont let him check in for the flight because he is late.

Im an absolute mess right now!

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 11:45

Im losing a bit of hope now...... Dad has just landed in Edinburgh, he needs to get off the plane, through to the flybe/loganair check in desk, check in (PRAYING THEY WILL LET HIM) and get through to departures and to the gate for the wick flight. Wick flight currently saying expected to depart at 11.50am..... just concerned they wont let him check in for the flight because he is late.

My guess is that knowing he was late and had connections they will have checked him in already - hubby usually gets checked in all the way from Wick - jo burg so never has to check in for each flight and vice versa on the way home as it saves on time . And because his flight was cancelled yesterday they took the initiative to change his flights for Thursday - just hoping he will get back in time to use them

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 12:19
Good news again!

He has a boarding pass for the Wick flight - just going through security now! Just the trip through to Wick to do now once we know the plane is up in the air! That could be a bit scary, but I just cant wait to get a hug from my dad!

Venture
22-Dec-10, 12:20

I've got everything crossed for you lindsaymcc.

Pinky33
22-Dec-10, 13:28
Hi im a new member. My sister is also on this flight, have just checked edinburgh airport departures and the plane was airborne at 12.10. Just hope it lands now. :(

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 14:54
Good news again!

He has a boarding pass for the Wick flight - just going through security now! Just the trip through to Wick to do now once we know the plane is up in the air! That could be a bit scary, but I just cant wait to get a hug from my dad!

Hi im a new member. My sister is also on this flight, have just checked edinburgh airport departures and the plane was airborne at 12.10. Just hope it lands now. :(

Both good news .. am assuming its all gone well if it was airborne after you prise your way from you dad let us know how it went . I am still waiting for news of planes etc but since i havnt heard from him since 7 am i am assuming hes on a flight :D then just have to worry about getting him north

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 16:01
DAD IS HERE!!!!

Plane had already landed when we arrived just before 1pm so all good!

Wick road was a bit scary with the fog, but Christmas is now allowed to happen!

Mums Angels - fingers crossed hubby is on his way home..... got everything crossed for you xxxx Keep us updated! xxx

speedo215
22-Dec-10, 16:03
delighted that your dad has made it lindsay

Hoida
22-Dec-10, 16:13
So happy for you that your dad has arrived safely. Hope all goes smoothly for others expecting family for Christmas. Our sons fiance ha sdecided not to risk it as she needs to be back for work on 3rd January.

cherokee
22-Dec-10, 16:26
I've been following this thread with baited breath.......:eek:

Delighted that your Dad got "home" safely Lindsaymcc and I also hope that you have good news too Mum's Angels !!!

Merry Christmas !

Venture
22-Dec-10, 16:36
Delighted for you and your family lindsaymcc. Have a wonderful Christmas.:)

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 20:35
Thats great news Lindsaymcc im so pleased your dad got here after all the worry

I am delighted to say hubby arrived in Heathrow at 6.20pm , he is going to stay the night at his auntys instead of the airport floor again and then has a flight booked from Heathrow to Aberdeen at 8.15 followed by another flight to Wick after that so if all goes well he will be home tomorow lunch time barring that he can get to Aberdeen and his dad will drive down to pick him up but now hes in the UK one way or another we will get him here for xmas :) All thanks to SA airlines putting on extra flights and with no thanks to BA airline for taking spots they shouldn't have just because they take priorty !

Droopy
22-Dec-10, 20:46
Do the 99.9% of org members who havent posted, find this thread as riveting as I am?:lol::roll:

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 20:53
Thats great news Lindsaymcc im so pleased your dad got here after all the worry

I am delighted to say hubby arrived in Heathrow at 6.20pm , he is going to stay the night at his auntys instead of the airport floor again and then has a flight booked from Heathrow to Aberdeen at 8.15 followed by another flight to Wick after that so if all goes well he will be home tomorow lunch time barring that he can get to Aberdeen and his dad will drive down to pick him up but now hes in the UK one way or another we will get him here for xmas :) All thanks to SA airlines putting on extra flights and with no thanks to BA airline for taking spots they shouldn't have just because they take priorty !

I AM SO HAPPY READING THIS!!!!!! This is just brilliant news! I was feeling slightly guilty for being so happy to have my dad here, yet this has just topped my day off completely, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling! Here's to a very merry christmas for us all!!!! xxxx

mums angels
22-Dec-10, 21:34
Do the 99.9% of org members who havent posted, find this thread as riveting as I am?:lol::roll:

LOL , What is it they say ... Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit !!

You obvioulsy found it riveting enough to read it and post on it

Merry christmas to you Droopy :D and i hope you have everyone you want around you for xmas and didnt need to go through the worry and disappointment that others are/have going through .

To the other kind orgers thanks for the messages both on here and PM was much appreciated have a great christmas

Chrisf1961
22-Dec-10, 21:38
Here here angel ........... all the best ladies to you and yours for Christmas..............

Droopy
22-Dec-10, 22:10
LOL , What is it they say ... Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit !!

You obvioulsy found it riveting enough to read it and post on it

Merry christmas to you Droopy :D and i hope you have everyone you want around you for xmas and didnt need to go through the worry and disappointment that others are/have going through .

To the other kind orgers thanks for the messages both on here and PM was much appreciated have a great christmas

Just an observation mumsangel. Its on a general forum so I guess I can read and post if I like. Im sure lots of people have friends, family etc coming home for Xmas but dont feel the need to update people they dont know half hourly. Or maybe they stick to PM's which you claim to have so many of. ;)

It was on the news tonight that soliders in Afghanistan cant get home either due to the weather, they've done a 6 month tour, and they still have to be back on 5th of Jan no matter when they get home.

Maybe you found my post sarcastic......but I'd rather call it putting things in perspective.;)

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 22:41
I apologise for my boring, un-needed posts. I used the forum as an outlet for feelings, when obviously this was not the correct place.

I now know not to post my feelings and thoughts and will stick to just browsing.

annemarie482
22-Dec-10, 22:42
i get what your saying droopy but this thread allowed people in similar situations vent their concerns and follow the wick flight status.
boring to those not eagrly waiting loved ones travelling north for xmas,or home from offshore, but very important to those who are.

ele21
22-Dec-10, 22:45
Do the 99.9% of org members who havent posted, find this thread as riveting as I am?:lol::roll:How boring has this thread been :confused

shazzap
22-Dec-10, 23:08
I apologise for my boring, un-needed posts. I used the forum as an outlet for feelings, when obviously this was not the correct place.

I now know not to post my feelings and thoughts and will stick to just browsing.

Don't let some idiot on a power trip stop you posting.
Carry on, i like as others do to, to read posts of this kind.:)

ele21
22-Dec-10, 23:08

I now know not to post my feelings and thoughts and will stick to just browsing.Aw Good:lol:

shazzap
22-Dec-10, 23:09
How boring has this thread been :confused

Another one[disgust]

ele21
22-Dec-10, 23:13
Another one[disgust] Yeh and more if you want no im bored yawn:eek: