PDA

View Full Version : Matt Cardle- Xmas number 1!

annemarie482
19-Dec-10, 20:02
well i for one, am delighted that matt has reached number one!
well done, here's to many more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmffsSRWaUk

tommy1979
19-Dec-10, 22:16
well i for one, am delighted that matt has reached number one!
well done, here's to many more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmffsSRWaUk

Sarcasm right? :lol:

Amy-Winehouse
19-Dec-10, 22:24
There wasnt any protest song this year on Facebook - which was a shame tbh, Simon Cowell got his dosh this time un opposed , I was expecting something but never mind

mums angels
19-Dec-10, 22:32
There wasnt any protest song this year on Facebook - which was a shame tbh, Simon Cowell got his dosh this time un opposed , I was expecting something but never mind

There was a facebook campaign for "surfin bird" to reach number 1 along with several others including trying to get the biffy clyros original version of the song to beat Matt to number 1

And in ireland there was a campaign to try and get rubberbandits "horse outside" to number 1 ahead of Matt but then were in the number 2 spot

Amy-Winehouse
19-Dec-10, 22:44
Not a fan of Biffy Clyro , I think theyre crap but thats my opinion- the campaign wasnt as well publicised as RATM was last year-Ive been on FB a lot due to the crap weather

mums angels
19-Dec-10, 22:51
Not a fan of Biffy Clyro , I think theyre crap but thats my opinion- the campaign wasnt as well publicised as RATM was last year-Ive been on FB a lot due to the crap weather

I had friends constantly sharing links to different songs they wanted to beat xfactor to number 1 but the surfin bird one was on the DS website and promoted by Scott mills but i think often these campaigns only work well the first time around , similar to the breast cancer bra game on FB last year - many have tried to recreate it but it just doesnt take off the same . There was supposed to be a protest song called " 4 mins of silence " but have no idea what happend to that one .

Matt was much more popular with the public than Joe macaldry was last year so think that also made a huge difference . Theres always next year LOL

rob1
20-Dec-10, 00:49
There were several 'protest' songs this year. One was John Cage's 4 33 (the silence one), there was one to get biffy to no. one with many of horror.

When I was growing up (not that long ago) to me christmas no.1 was where naff songs has the chance to get to the top - like Mr. Blooby. It was a bit of fun and lots of good and bad christmas tunes were played. Now and for the last 5-6 years it has been X-factor dominated. I am sure there are young kids out there that think the christmas no.1 is specifically reserved for x-factor winners because it is the norm for them. All x-factor has done for me is to spoil the fun of christmas music.

Tubthumper
20-Dec-10, 09:00
Not that keen on Mr Cardle's version compared to the original, but if it brings Biffy Clyro to the attention of the masses, that's no more than they deserve. Also, of course they'll get their royalties for writing it. Bonus!

RecQuery
20-Dec-10, 14:12
The problem was too many alternate contenders, people saw what happened last year so all tried to jump on the bandwagon. What we need to do is act like X-Factor zombie sheep and just all go for one next time.

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 14:30
The problem was too many alternate contenders, people saw what happened last year so all tried to jump on the bandwagon. What we need to do is act like X-Factor zombie sheep and just all go for one next time.

i actually resent that comment.[disgust]

he's the first contestant from one of these shows i have actually been interested in hearing.
i made a very conscious decision when buying that single.
it was a song i liked, sung by a man who's voice and range i really like.
i genuinely like the version.
having heard his band seven summers songs on youtube, his voice had really grown on me.
yes the x factor brought this man to my attention, as like most, no-one would have know of him without it.
but it certainly does not cloud my judgement on what i like and don't like.
i look forward to see the material he will release from here.
im very interested to see, if like he's already stated, he goes on to once again front a band.

there just seems to be a culture of "rebel against anything popular"
good for you if thats what bothers you.

i know what i like and don't.
and certainly wont go out my way to stop a track i don't like.

afer all who cares on the chart postion they reach, as long as you can buy what you like :D

annemarie482
20-Dec-10, 14:36
Not that keen on Mr Cardle's version compared to the original, but if it brings Biffy Clyro to the attention of the masses, that's no more than they deserve. Also, of course they'll get their royalties for writing it. Bonus!

exactly, i know a lot of people who had never heard the song before and now know and prefer the original.
every cloud and that! ;)

annemarie482
08-Jan-11, 19:11
i'm delighted to see that matt cardle has been @ number one for 3 weeks! and looks set to stay there again tomorrow :)
hope to hear more from him soon.

essexbird
08-Jan-11, 19:28
Go essex lad :D

Sarah
08-Jan-11, 19:47
I'm happy for him too :)