PDA

View Full Version : Help please

highland red
19-Dec-10, 15:35
I wonder if I could pick your accumulative brains here. Is it possible that I had a Raven in my garden on Friday? I have seen them before but not so close.

This bird was way too big for a Crow (I think), and its bill was very large, totally black and unusual in shape. Had a look in the "Collins" book and it certainly looked like Raven. I have Crows/jackdaws almost daily so I am pretty familiar with them.

I just thought that it may be because of the very harsh conditions at the moment that birds are maybe having to take their opportunities.

As I was just typing I have had three juvenile gulls in the garden and on the table...........revise that four to TEN gulls as of now. I've not seen them in the garden before either!

nirofo
19-Dec-10, 15:47
I wonder if I could pick your accumulative brains here. Is it possible that I had a Raven in my garden on Friday? I have seen them before but not so close.

This bird was way too big for a Crow (I think), and its bill was very large, totally black and unusual in shape. Had a look in the "Collins" book and it certainly looked like Raven. I have Crows/jackdaws almost daily so I am pretty familiar with them.

I just thought that it may be because of the very harsh conditions at the moment that birds are maybe having to take their opportunities.

As I was just typing I have had three juvenile gulls in the garden and on the table...........revise that four to TEN gulls as of now. I've not seen them in the garden before either!

No reason why you couldn't have a Raven, with the harsh weather we're having just now they'll need to look for food in places they would normally avoid.

nirofo.

highland red
19-Dec-10, 15:58
No reason why you couldn't have a Raven, with the harsh weather we're having just now they'll need to look for food in places they would normally avoid.

nirofo.

Thanks for the help, I just didn't want to look a bit stupid with an assumption.

Chrisf1961
19-Dec-10, 15:58
is it this one

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/raven/index.aspx

highland red
19-Dec-10, 17:01
is it this one

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/raven/index.aspx

It looks similar: but the bill was all black and very large compared to the illustration.