PDA

View Full Version : Interest in new Board

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 09:23
I'm interested to find out how many Orgers would be interested in having a separate board for Literature - with sub forums for poetry, short stories, articles etc.
There seems to have been some interest expressed in Literature lately and some PMs to me would also suggest that.
I see Literature as valid as Photography for instance, though I appreciate not everyone would feel the same way. I'd very much like to attract some 'local' Caithness and Sutherland talent.
Perhaps in time, a collaborative effort might be possible between the Photographers and the Writers?
I have not approached Management about this - need your reaction before doing so.
Thanks.
James.

badger
16-Aug-06, 10:04
Good idea, why not? Came across some wonderful books of poems at the Lyth Arts Exhibition and there must be many unpublished writers out there.

katarina
16-Aug-06, 10:08
Definately - great idea. We could all have a go.

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 10:17
Thanks badger and katarina. If you have any ideas to help in this topic, please add as we go.
I feel we should separate this subject (Literature) from the main, general board which seems less appropriate for it.

Mr P Cannop
16-Aug-06, 10:54
what about a penpal forum ??

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 10:59
what about a penpal forum ??

Might be an idea, but what has it to do with this one for Literature?
Perhaps you could start your own thread for a board? Your idea might get lost in this one or hinder it.
Thanks.

cuddlepop
16-Aug-06, 11:57
You could almost have a book club forum on line.(If this takes it off thread sorry.) to discuss this weeks book or poem.
Literature forum sounds like a good idea.

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 12:03
You could almost have a book club forum on line.(If this takes it off thread sorry.) to discuss this weeks book or poem.
Literature forum sounds like a good idea.

Thanks cuddlepop. Please, what have you in mind re the book club forum?
Can you give a bit more detail?

MadPict
16-Aug-06, 12:06
There have been plenty enough "works of fiction" on here to fill a new forum...

crashbandicoot1979
16-Aug-06, 13:06
I'm interested to find out how many Orgers would be interested in having a separate board for Literature - with sub forums for poetry, short stories, articles etc.
There seems to have been some interest expressed in Literature lately and some PMs to me would also suggest that.
I see Literature as valid as Photography for instance, though I appreciate not everyone would feel the same way. I'd very much like to attract some 'local' Caithness and Sutherland talent.
Perhaps in time, a collaborative effort might be possible between the Photographers and the Writers?
I have not approached Management about this - need your reaction before doing so.
Thanks.
James.

I think it's an excellent idea. I wite short stories and (I attempt to write) novels. I think it would be a great support for those of us that enjoy writing - we can all encourage each other. I love reading aswell so would also be interested in the book club forum that cuddlepop suggested.

Liz
16-Aug-06, 13:23
It is a great idea and might encourage me to start writing stories again!:D

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 13:39
Thank you all for your reponses, most encouraging.

cuddlepop
16-Aug-06, 14:36
Kingketter.The book club forum could be an area to discuss a certain book or anyother piece of writting.We found when someone had written something at the creative writting class,very seldome did two people interpret it the same way.You could have potential writtes submitting work for critical or otherwise discussion.Word of warning sensitive people need not submit.lol[lol]

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 14:46
Yes, I can see a lot of value in that - thanks.

Yvonne
16-Aug-06, 17:55
Excellent! My book-mad daughters who simply adore reading and writing, both have written their own books and this new forum would facilitate and encourage their endeavours. Let's hope it's up and running soon. Who knows there might be a Jane Austen, Keats or Wordsworth lurking out there! :roll:

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 18:46
Hi Yvonne, thanks for your response but don't get your hopes too high - we haven't got approval yet, nor asked for one, but it is first important to find out what interest there is for one. That being the case, if you can think of others on here who you think could be interested, but haven't expressed an opinion, 'wake 'em up' and see what happens. I'm encouraged as of now.

Sporran
16-Aug-06, 19:40
Thanks.
James.

I think it's a great idea, Kingetter! I'd definitely be interested! :)

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 19:43
Thank you Sporran - much appreciate your support - glad of all the support I can get. Please raise any ideas you get on the topic, just don't raise any eyebrows - ken whit ah mean?

Sporran
16-Aug-06, 19:51
....just don't raise any eyebrows - ken whit ah mean?

Dinna worry, Kingetter, I don't plan to!

rich
16-Aug-06, 19:52
I suggest we all wear berets - a la Jean Paul Sartre - as a sign of our creativity. We will also require a cafe to serve espresso coffee, croissants and of course vin du table and absinthe.

The next thing will be to secure a publisher. I suggest that about 50 of us - in our berets - beseige canongate press in Edinburgh and take the fellow north with us.

Might I also suggest that we have a surrealist wing and an anarchist wing. That shouldn't cause too much trouble.

However the proiblem of censorship does raise its ugly head because the traditional Scottish novel consists largely in bemoaning your parents who have ruined your life, in condemning the town council for its immorality and corruption, and in conducting doomed love affairs with daughters of above. (The HOuse with the Green Shutters being the prototype)

I dont much fancy at my advanced stage of life hoofing it along Princes Street while buckshot whistles past my adulterous ears.

But such are the demands placed upon those of us who are destined for the writerly life.

Kingetter
16-Aug-06, 19:55
Why Edinburgh for a Publisher? What's wrong with Orger Publishing, a Division of Caithness.org?

crayola
18-Aug-06, 01:10
I would like a literature board.

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 01:15
Thanks crayola - do you write yourself or are you only a reader?

crayola
18-Aug-06, 01:35
Ha ha, good question. I let others be the judge of that.

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 01:36
Very good! So what would be your interest in the Board?

crayola
18-Aug-06, 01:45
Oh just general interest. I can write about all sorts of weird stuff but no-one would be interested.

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 01:48
Fine - I just wanted to see you admit to writing. Weird stuff? Remains to be seen. Anything short enough you could PM me with?

Lolabelle
18-Aug-06, 06:44
Well you know I'm in. I'd love to get more opportunity to read some more from you lot. I stuck my neck out and posted some of my stuff. But the feed back is invaluable when you are writing,as it can be a very lonely business at times. And the support of fellow writers of any genre is always encouraging. And as I have learnt here, it's good for keeping one on track and also for a bit of correction. ;)

DrSzin
18-Aug-06, 09:38
Thanks.
James.Your suggestion sounds good to me - especially the poetry bit. :lol:

Seriously, many orgers know that poetry is not my cup of tea, and it's one of the few arts that I really don't care for, but I'll quite happily read and enjoy the rest. I enjoyed Lolabelle's story and hope to see more stuff from her and other Orgers.

So, please add my name to the list of supporters of a new forum.

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 09:53
DrSzin, thanks very much.

changilass
18-Aug-06, 10:03
You have my support too, I am a reader rather than a writer though:D

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 10:06
You have my support too, I am a reader rather than a writer though:D
Thanks to you also. Is it possible we could get you writing?, a little?, trying?

cuddlepop
18-Aug-06, 14:55
Changilass ,you'd be suprised what you can write you just dont realise it yet.
Kingetter got me hauling out my old folder from the class i done in 2002.[lol]
YOu wouldn't think it sometimes but i love the English lanuage,just forget how to construct prose.[lol]

Niall Fernie
18-Aug-06, 15:05
As always, we maim to please :cool: Allows us to add the spare arms and legs to any story...

http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 17:31
As always, we maim to please :cool: Allows us to add the spare arms and legs to any story...

Very many thanks - much appreciated.

Kingetter
18-Aug-06, 17:59
Now, come on all ye with Literary persuasion - Board is there, why aren't you?

Kingetter
20-Aug-06, 02:20
Come on Writers, time for a few contributions, or maybe suddenly you can't write? Well, there's a solution to that you may not be surprised to hear -

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/Write.jpg

Or just stop being so shy and get along to -

Cheers!