PDA

View Full Version : Snow

andyw
16-Dec-10, 23:39
Hi all, New minister and the roads are blocked and shut down, Thought he was mr perfect

Duncansby
16-Dec-10, 23:50
There is very little we can do to control nature, all we can do is cope with the challenges it brings as best we can. If there is a heavy dumping of snow and blizzard conditions we must expect problems on the roads.

Blarney
16-Dec-10, 23:53
Hi all, New minister and the roads are blocked and shut down, Thought he was mr perfect
He's the minister not God.

Joey
19-Dec-10, 14:06

Just shows how simplistic SOME people think keepinf roads clear are. If you think YOU could do any better, crack at it !!!

theone
19-Dec-10, 14:12
There is a total lack of respect for mother nature in this country.

NickInTheNorth
19-Dec-10, 14:48
There's also a total lack of preparedness in this country. There needs to be a political decision as to whether the country can continue to shut down because of bad weather, or if we should pay to make provision to cope.

It is ridiculous that the major airports close due to snow. They have a known area to keep operational, and should therefore ensure they have the required level of plant required to keep operational.

The government should ensure we have the means to keep the trunk road network clear.

As individuals we should ensure that we also prepare ourselves. Winter tyres need to be used, particularly by the road haulage and transport industry and snow chains if necessary. We as a society need to realise that we cannot afford to just shut down for weeks because of the weather.

hunter
19-Dec-10, 14:51
Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their own safety when the weather's bad instead of blaming someone else cos their bus is late or car is stuck?

lindsaymcc
19-Dec-10, 14:52
There's also a total lack of preparedness in this country. There needs to be a political decision as to whether the country can continue to shut down because of bad weather, or if we should pay to make provision to cope.

It is ridiculous that the major airports close due to snow. They have a known area to keep operational, and should therefore ensure they have the required level of plant required to keep operational.

The government should ensure we have the means to keep the trunk road network clear.

As individuals we should ensure that we also prepare ourselves. Winter tyres need to be used, particularly by the road haulage and transport industry and snow chains if necessary. We as a society need to realise that we cannot afford to just shut down for weeks because of the weather.

Agree with everything written there. What I am most surprised at is the lack of individuals in my area clearing their own paths/section of road. We have been out daily, often more than once, to keep our path/section of road/pavement clear from snow and putting down grit. Ok, so perhaps I am spending money I dont really have on salt but I would rather that than the costs of a trip to inverness and back with one of the kids with broken bones etc!

If EVERYONE (able bodied of course) was to take some initiative and clear their own areas (and those of the elderly/less able) then there would be no cause for side streets to become the hazard they have.

orkneycadian
20-Dec-10, 09:34
Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their own safety when the weather's bad instead of blaming someone else cos their bus is late or car is stuck?

Gone the same way as folk taking responsibility for anything these days... Amongst others....

Being responsible for hot drinks, and having to have "Caution - Hot Contents" on the side of the cup
Being responsible enough for their own food safety and having to have "Use By" dates on everything to alleviate themselves of having to use their eyes and noses.
Not being able to survive if the local supermarket closed down / burned down / run out of supplies

I guess its the expectation these days that everything is handed on a plate / supermarket shelf, without actually thinking about what goes on behind the scenes to make their lives so easy!

Doreen
20-Dec-10, 09:50
Agree with everything written there. What I am most surprised at is the lack of individuals in my area clearing their own paths/section of road. We have been out daily, often more than once, to keep our path/section of road/pavement clear from snow and putting down grit. Ok, so perhaps I am spending money I dont really have on salt but I would rather that than the costs of a trip to inverness and back with one of the kids with broken bones etc!

If EVERYONE (able bodied of course) was to take some initiative and clear their own areas (and those of the elderly/less able) then there would be no cause for side streets to become the hazard they have.I think that is a bit below the belt yeh my husband has gone and cleared neighbours paths to just to see it all covered again in no time at all and that is why we pay council tax for our paths to be cleared by the council and i dont think anyone would want there kids to have broken bones that is your choice if you spend money on salt get on to the council and tell them you cant expect people to go out every time it snows to start clearing all the paths in the street.

orkneycadian
20-Dec-10, 09:59
Try the following calculation....

Take the number of metres of roads and paths in your local council area, divide by the number of metres per hour 1 worker can clear (taking into account repeated snow showers), then further divide by the number of workers they employ. Compare answer to Working Time Directive. What do you get?

bekisman
20-Dec-10, 10:09

Totally agree. For a number of years now our winters have become worse, but what happens, from those in charge; "blinking heck, it's snowing, well that's unusual, we'll do our best, but we don't want to spend a lot of money in preparation, as it might not be so bad next time" - yea right, wake up Ministers; it's here to stay.
Mrs Beks and I would often fly off to Estonia, or Poland in January and February - coming into land, with a clear runway and metres deep snow either side, then having to find additional nights at the hotel, 'cos UK airports had a light dusting..

Never understood why delivery vehicles are not four wheel drive, or not having winter tyres (In Germany it's law that you must have those tyres in bad weather) - Like NinN says; what's wrong with snow chains? we are the laughing stock of the rest of Europe.
Those who are responsible must realise, that YES this is now a regular occurrence and spend the money - at least keep us as a viable nation and not some whimpering third rate country that goes down with a wee bit of snow.
I think the gritters up here do a fantastic job, but they need more of 'em.
Got my son and family coming over from Germany later this month, what's the betting they will easily make their way across Mainland Europe, but come to a grinding halt upon hitting UK? [evil]

cecile
20-Dec-10, 10:15
Gone the same way as folk taking responsibility for anything these days... Amongst others....

Being responsible for hot drinks, and having to have "Caution - Hot Contents" on the side of the cup
Being responsible enough for their own food safety and having to have "Use By" dates on everything to alleviate themselves of having to use their eyes and noses.
Not being able to survive if the local supermarket closed down / burned down / run out of supplies

I guess its the expectation these days that everything is handed on a plate / supermarket shelf, without actually thinking about what goes on behind the scenes to make their lives so easy!

i totally agree with ou on this one people complain because they re considered as numpties but on the other hand they wanrt( no, they demand) everything served on a silver plate and that s still not enough
you re not teenagers! anymore
Rememeber: you re in Scotland( and whats more in Caithness) so, dont expect a sunny and exotic winter for God's sake!i ve been waiting for a parcel that was due a week ago but what can you do, i am sure they dont make you wait just to have a good laugh,i m not sure the business owners are very happy about that, but that s part of life in the North
so yes im rageing because im stuck at home and my bf wont probably be at home for Xmas and wont his gift either but C'est la vie..there are more important things in life

merry Xmas to all anyway( at least it will be a white one..)

ducati
20-Dec-10, 10:29

Yep it's called civilisation. :lol:

ducati
20-Dec-10, 10:37
We need to end the obsession with getting back to black roads. If the snow is bad enough, you can't, and dumping tons of salt and grit on it just makes it even more difficult. If we are to move to a snow ready transport system then we need to plow only down to a level surface. Then you can safely use snow chains, studded tyres etc. You can then invest if you wish in snow mobiles, snow cats etc. Trouble is, you don't have a transport system if you do this. This if for countrys that have snow for 4 months not two weeks :eek:

Shabbychic
20-Dec-10, 10:55
It is a myth to believe that only the UK comes to a standstill in the bad weather. Here (http://azstarnet.com/news/world/article_2f833103-01a0-5b77-bc67-397a64c56d33.html) is an example.

As someone else said, our ministers are not gods, they are mere mortals.

orkneycadian
20-Dec-10, 11:59
A few more weeks of this, and folk will get the hang of it.... Already, folk are saying they are sick of the snow and are going to go and clear their road they can get going. Halleluhjah! The penny has finally dropped!

Others are finding through trial and error that the technique to get up a hill is not to approach it at 5 mph and spin the wheels as much as possible. And the way to approach a junction is not 2 foot from the car in front!

Schools are now open on days this week, in snow that would have closed them last week, as folk discover that their legs actually work, and that a day in school is better than the 10th day of daytime TV!

Give us a few more weeks of this, and I am pretty sure folk will be going about their daily lives, with 3 feet of snow either side of the roads!

Stingray
20-Dec-10, 12:33

Well said! I totally agree too. If people would prepare themselves a little better than it would not be as bad. Everyone else is coping fine but Britain is making such a deal of the weather. What do the countries do that get "real" snow?

ducati
20-Dec-10, 12:38
A few more weeks of this, and folk will get the hang of it.... Already, folk are saying they are sick of the snow and are going to go and clear their road they can get going. Halleluhjah! The penny has finally dropped!

Others are finding through trial and error that the technique to get up a hill is not to approach it at 5 mph and spin the wheels as much as possible. And the way to approach a junction is not 2 foot from the car in front!

Schools are now open on days this week, in snow that would have closed them last week, as folk discover that their legs actually work, and that a day in school is better than the 10th day of daytime TV!

Give us a few more weeks of this, and I am pretty sure folk will be going about their daily lives, with 3 feet of snow either side of the roads!

Thanks for the advice Orky. The main roads are all drivable with care. Now if you would just come over with your shovel and give me a hand to get out of my lane. I've been stranded for 2 days 20 yrds from the clear main road. I dig out a track to get moving and then the snow is so soft it just jams under the front of the car.

The wrong kind of snow [disgust]

orkneycadian
20-Dec-10, 13:02
The wrong kind of snow [disgust]

The wrong kind of digging? ;)

Must be if there is any left to jam up under the front of the car! :D

ducati
20-Dec-10, 14:24
Blimey, I'm pointed the wrong way after having a tow from a 4x4 up the hill. I can't dig the whole road!

chaz
20-Dec-10, 14:28
Blimey, I'm pointed the wrong way after having a tow from a 4x4 up the hill. I can't dig the whole road!

Im stuck aswell, road only about quater mile long, and 2ft deep my son got in and out just yesterday with some digging lol but mines rubbish:( dont you just love the experts:lol:

ducati
20-Dec-10, 14:37
I must say that modern cars are not as good in snow. Low profile tyres, big wheels and tight wheel arches. We had weather much worse than this in the past, I don't recall getting the car stuck all the bloomin time.

chaz
20-Dec-10, 14:40
True my sons got an old corsa its brilliant mines a lot newer all mod cons but total rubbish in this:roll:

ducati
20-Dec-10, 14:45
True my sons got an old corsa its brilliant mines a lot newer all mod cons but total rubbish in this:roll:

I was thinking a bit older, I had Morris Ital Estate mumble mumble years ago and once navigated the Snake Pass from Glossop to Sheffield well after it had been closed :lol:

chaz
20-Dec-10, 14:57
I was thinking a bit older, I had Morris Ital Estate mumble mumble years ago and once navigated the Snake Pass from Glossop to Sheffield well after it had been closed :lol:

love the mumble mumble years ago:) i remember years ago we hardley ever got stuck and we always lived in remote places when i was young, just seemed to plod along.
Snake Pass is quite a road when its good let alone shut:)

andyw
20-Dec-10, 15:21
Hi No problems with snow yet just about make it in 18 inches snow 4x4 mitsubishi all terrain tyres and set of 4 snow chains in reserve

ducati
20-Dec-10, 16:18
Ha Ha I'm out! Thanks to my JCB trundling pal.

The irony is I have a Pajero but it's in bits at the moment :confused

Allsorts
20-Dec-10, 17:30
I have watched 4 x 4's, cars and all sorts get stuck in our road today and the snow plough has still not been near it.