PDA

View Full Version : Roads, Thurs night

emb123
16-Dec-10, 21:55
currently sitting in a stationary queue of cars on the road linking the main Watten road to Halkirk. Huge drifts. No evidence of ploughs or gritting, even on the main road linking Thurso to Wick. I predict that if ploughs and gritters don't get out on the main road from Thurso to Wick in the next two hours then the two towns will be cut off from each other by morning except for 4x4s.

Visibility terrible, cant see where the ground and sky meet let alone where the road meets the verge.

Halkirk will probably be cut off tomorrow unless the ploughs get out here soon.

Ho hum.

Dadie
16-Dec-10, 21:59
We made it home to Watten from Thurso just about 1/2 hour or so!
We were out at Mum and Dads at Barrock and went the long way home!
You couldnt see more than an inch or so infront of the car for a long way on the Thurso-Watten stretch!
Some parts had us at a standstill to crawling along at 5mph!
Oh and watch out for the drifts!

akie
16-Dec-10, 22:06
hi there nice to get a weather report cheers ;)

donnick
16-Dec-10, 22:14
Just came out from Thurso via Castletown ,Dunnet
THurso bl**dy horrendous murkel the same bad drifts but did pass a snow plu
Castletown snow drifting but no as bad
Dunnet not to bad

emb123
16-Dec-10, 22:15
yep. conditions ate horrendous. It looks like if you live out of town then it is necessary to decide, now, where you wish to spend the next few days.

If anyone is able to contact someone in transport scotland, council or whoever to get action to plough the roads right now it will make the critical difference. (I'm typing just now on a mobile.)

I've watched 8 inches of drifts form beside me in about ten minutes.

philupmaboug
16-Dec-10, 22:17
Just did the round trip from Spittal to Wick and back, the Mybster to Watten road is a nightmare and very scarey. The home trip I went by Georgemas and it was bad but good compared to back road if you know what I mean!.. Aviod back Watten road at unless you have a snowplow or huskies.

Dadie
16-Dec-10, 22:17
We did see a snowplough going the other way on the castletown -wick road on the way to Mum and Dads, so they are out there doing their stuff!

chaz
16-Dec-10, 22:20
They are out there i saw one about an hour ago at georgemas, dont envy them out in this.