PDA

View Full Version : CoastGuard Stations to be Closed

Kodiak
16-Dec-10, 14:50
I just heard that the Government is to close 10 of the 18 Coastguard Stations leaving only 8.

As an ex Aux CoastGuard Member I think this is disgusting and that in Scotland there will be only one 24 hour Station at Aberdeen and one open during daylight hours in either Shetland or Stornoway.

That is Only one full time station and one part time one for all of Scotland & Islands. [evil]

Here is a link to the BBC Report :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12007031

Gronnuck
16-Dec-10, 15:21
It's not as if we didn't know this was going to happen and there is a three month consultation period. I'm sure better qualified and experienced people than I, will have prepared their arguements.
In truth if I can track ships sailing through the English Channel via the internet on my PC at home; I'm confident the remaining maritime operations centres with much more sophisticated technology will be able to track ships all around our coasts.
As regards the air/sea rescue service; the RAF and Navy Sea King helicopters are well past their 'sell by' date. A new organisation will hopefully bring in a new fleet of Sikorskys.

emb123
16-Dec-10, 16:29
Oh well, all the drug smuggling, people smuggling and drink & fags smuggling is obviously gonna be on its way up to Scotland soon. Definitely a mixed bag.

Kirdon
16-Dec-10, 22:50
Oh well, all the drug smuggling, people smuggling and drink & fags smuggling is obviously gonna be on its way up to Scotland soon. Definitely a mixed bag.

Don't think coastguards deal with this! I believe that is customs duties.
As Gronnuck says it is all on computor and repeater stations now so I can't see any problems with this.

Amy-Winehouse
19-Dec-10, 18:14
As Gronnuck says it is all on computor and repeater stations now so I can't see any problems with this.

I have to disagree with you Kirdon, I see a major problem with this decision - hundreds of men & women will lose their jobs . In the present climate , they will find it hard to get employment .
Any job loss due to government cost cutting is scandalous , especially when we have them diddies in parliament whooping it up & laughing at all of us on their all expenses paid junkets.

orkneycadian
20-Dec-10, 09:20
I cant see that folk losing or not losing their jobs will have any influence in this. The whole point will be to save costs, and the biggest cost will no doubt be staff. Reducing the staff numbers will therefore be the objective, not a consequence.

Wonder how long it will be before the whole operation is relocated to a single "call centre" in India?

golach
20-Dec-10, 09:36
There are no Customs anymore Kirdon, they were replaced by the Border Agency about 3 years ago.

Kirdon
20-Dec-10, 14:13
There are no Customs anymore Kirdon, they were replaced by the Border Agency about 3 years ago.

I apoligise and stand corrected once again but as someone once said "whats in a name?" . Coastguards still don't deal with it?