PDA

View Full Version : Arctic blast in U.S. creates frozen lighthouse

Kodiak
16-Dec-10, 14:39
Frozen water sprayed from Lake Erie by a massive Arctic blast turned a lighthouse into a stunning ice sculpture near Cleveland, Ohio.

Brrrr Looks real chilly !!! :eek:

http://i53.tinypic.com/1rvk2x.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/kd5nap.jpg

shazzap
16-Dec-10, 14:41
Just watched that video on www Sky News.

Scarybiscuits03
16-Dec-10, 14:47
Oh dear - that's quite scary!!! We thought we had it bad!!!:lol:

emilyrose
16-Dec-10, 14:56
Saw this on the news earlier! Brr! Looks quite spoooooky!

brandy
16-Dec-10, 15:01
wow now that is cold.. kinda day after tomorrow cold!

George Brims
16-Dec-10, 20:26
The morning news on Tuesday had a reporter on the shores of Lake Michigan. There were huge waves coming in you would expect to see hitting the breakwater at Wick. Apparently they had been up to 35 feet overnight!
My mum-in-law is over just now. She was watching the news last night. "Oh here" she calls out "there's a storm coming tomorrow." I had to explain to her that here in Southern California, any weather system coming down the coast after Thanksgiving and up to about March is called a "storm". Features of a "storm" often include mist, drizzle, and winds over 5 mph. Once in a blue moon they feature actual bad weather.
Then about two minutes after I get her reassured about the weather, we have an earthquake. Not big but centred only 10 miles away, so a sharp wee jolt. I think she's calmed down this morning.

scorrie
17-Dec-10, 00:24
I think she's calmed down this morning.

The earthquake or Mother In Law?

scorrie
17-Dec-10, 00:28
Frozen water sprayed from Lake Erie by a massive Arctic blast turned a lighthouse into a stunning ice sculpture near Cleveland, Ohio.

Brrrr Looks real chilly !!! :eek:

http://i53.tinypic.com/1rvk2x.jpg

Not impressive at all. Gee whiz it was a lighthouse already and then became a frozen lighthouse. If it had pitched up on the shore as a frozen lighthouse where a burger van had previously sat, then I might have thought it was spectacular. ;)

Walter Ego
17-Dec-10, 00:31
The morning news on Tuesday had a reporter on the shores of Lake Michigan. There were huge waves coming in you would expect to see hitting the breakwater at Wick. Apparently they had been up to 35 feet overnight!
My mum-in-law is over just now. She was watching the news last night. "Oh here" she calls out "there's a storm coming tomorrow." I had to explain to her that here in Southern California, any weather system coming down the coast after Thanksgiving and up to about March is called a "storm". Features of a "storm" often include mist, drizzle, and winds over 5 mph. Once in a blue moon they feature actual bad weather.
Then about two minutes after I get her reassured about the weather, we have an earthquake. Not big but centred only 10 miles away, so a sharp wee jolt. I think she's calmed down this morning.

I can't hear any story about bad weather on the Lakes without thinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.:~(

Walter Ego
17-Dec-10, 00:32
Not impressive at all. Gee whiz it was a lighthouse already and then became a frozen lighthouse. If it had pitched up on the shore as a frozen lighthouse where a burger van had previously sat, then I might have thought it was spectacular. ;)

Step away from the drink, Scorrie.

scorrie
17-Dec-10, 00:43
Step away from the drink, Scorrie.

Step away from the Drugs Walter ;)