PDA

View Full Version : Roads north of Inverness

Hoida
16-Dec-10, 11:01
Have just been on phone to Stagecoach in Inverness and all buses are running as normal. Trains north of Inverness not running. My son left Edinburgh at 6.30a.m this morning and ha sjust been told by conductor on train he can't go any further than Dingwall today. We have him booked on 11.25 coach fro Inverness so heres hoping it reaches Thurso alright.We just have the problem now of picking him up as it is quite wild out west. How is it in Thurso.
Not sure if Scot rail will cover this extra cost but I have my doubts!!!:(

Jeid
16-Dec-10, 14:06
It's fine in Thurso. A bit slippy in places, but should be all good on the main roads

Dog-eared
16-Dec-10, 15:22
Roadcams here -http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

dragonfly
16-Dec-10, 15:24
just been told by conductor on train he can't go any further than Dingwall today(

trying to get my daughter up tomorrow and she's saying nothings going north of Perth, hope for you & your son she's wrong

The Music Monster
16-Dec-10, 15:31
They normally provide a bus replacement, but even if they don't, if you explain what has happened after buying your ticket they should refund it. My sister couldn't travel at the start of December because the trains were cancelled and she got a full refund.

onecalledk
16-Dec-10, 17:33
quite bizarre that the trains are not running north of inverness as Scotrails own website yesterday stated they had invested in "skirts" and other devices to be fitted to trains to minimise the ice that had dropped off the trains and caused damage to the underside of the carriages.

All the bumfph on the website was alluding to trains running in sub zero temperatures yet they cancel the train north. I havent been south of Caithness in this new bit of weather but surely its not worse than the other week yet ?

Perhaps paranoia in that the train north is the first to go ?

K

Jeid
16-Dec-10, 17:35
Apparently the line is bad between Lairg and Forsinard.

Fran
16-Dec-10, 19:08
Just heard on MFR trains are not running but there ARE buses organised so anyone coming north by train will get here on the railway bus.

Hoida
16-Dec-10, 19:17
Son arrived home OK but no bus was laid on Passengers were advised to go to ticket office for compensation. Fortunately the bus was running and arrived around 3.15p.m. which wasn't too bad. Thanks for all replies.

rum rat
16-Dec-10, 19:30
In the days of steam trains they did not come north of Helmsdale in the winter months - a bus was laid on to take you the rest of the way.

Mr P Cannop
16-Dec-10, 21:16
what like are the roads from watten to invergordon ??

wicker05
16-Dec-10, 22:18
A9 now closed at Lothbeg.

Corrie 3
16-Dec-10, 22:21
A9 now closed at Lothbeg.
Oh no!!!!
Are the snow gates closed at Dunbeath do you know?

C3....:eek::eek::(

wicker05
16-Dec-10, 22:31
Oh no!!!!
Are the snow gates closed at Dunbeath do you know?

C3....:eek::eek::(

Not sure Corrie 3 but road conditions abysmal. Just been texting a couple of my colleagues who had to make a trip to Inverness this evening, and it appears that they are not able to make the return journey to Wick tonight.

Metalattakk
16-Dec-10, 22:45
I'm hearing the A9 is closed all the way to Brora and will remain closed all night. Also a lot of the side roads in Caithness are badly affected by drifting snow.

I'd stay put wherever you are tonight.

If you're desperate to travel, call the local plod on 01847 893222 and take their advice.

Corrie 3
16-Dec-10, 22:50
Thanks Guys.....I think my travel plans are going on hold....:(

C3....:mad:

onecalledk
16-Dec-10, 23:42
snow gates are closed at helmsdale according to traffic scotland site. with police advisory not to travel in the region unless its an emergency.

K

Kodiak
16-Dec-10, 23:46
According to the police web page the A9 is closed :-

http://www.northern.police.uk/News-and-Media/news-item.htm?item_id=PR2889_2010