PDA

View Full Version : Street Racers!!! - Part 2

The Angel Of Death
27-Aug-04, 09:26
Combine that with the DOunreay car rush and it's grid lock

Whats even more annoying is the busses parking next to the hotel by the traffic lights holding up all the traffic at 5 o'clock first of all its dangerous and if its a foreign bus there actually coming out onto the road as cars are trying to get around the bus

Do they not have parking round the side beside surely it would make more sence (and be safer) to park the bus there and not hold up the traffic at a busy time of the afternoon

Zael
27-Aug-04, 09:32
I know this is an annoying problem for people. but what about all the other bad drivers in the county. It seems that in Caithness, if you are over 60 or drive an oversized 4x4 or people carrier, you dont need to use indicators, you can use your mobile phone whenever you like, park where ever you like, stop in the middle of the road to talk to your mate, drive as fast as you want etc etc.

These are the people I hate on the roads most. The boy racers only drive in a few streets in the town because the rest of them are blocked up by the REAL inconsiderate drivers.

Bit stupid to think the police will do anything about it. They only concern themselves with drivers during "drink driving week" or "speeding week". They are far too busy directing the traffic to be bothered enforcing any laws.

So people, remember to have a look in your car manual to find out what the pretty orange flashing lights are for on the corners of your car! A quick flick through the highway code (this years edition) might be a real eye opener for some of you drivers too.

.::Zael::.

dragonfly
27-Aug-04, 11:05
I certainly think that the police should sit at nights at the Mart carpark in Ormlie Road, they could make a nice little earner in on the spot fines as it's being used as a drag strip, nice long strip of road that they can get some crazy speeds on - I can hear the noise sitting in my living room with the tv on and I don't even live in Ormlie Road!!!!! I feel sorry for those that do :(

Mr P Cannop
27-Aug-04, 11:15
the CCTV cams should have sound on the cams

dragonfly
27-Aug-04, 11:17
camera stop at the junction to Castlegreen Road, maybe if they site another couple further up the road it might have some impact on them

Mr P Cannop
27-Aug-04, 11:42
i think it coats to much ££

Donnie
27-Aug-04, 12:32
Aslong as they don't speed or break any other laws then let them be. If they enjoy it then that's ok with me.

luskentyre
27-Aug-04, 13:05
I totally agree Caithpal. It smacks of people with no imagination and even less consideration for others. We don't want to hear your crap music ok?! Gawd knows what vistors to the county think.

I love it when people say things like "what else is there to do?". Open your eyes and get off your backsides.

brandy
27-Aug-04, 13:32
im not that bothered by the cruising as that is what kids do... they cruise around looking for their mates.. as long as it stays harmless i would say enjoy.. i would rather them cruise than be breaking windows and smasing cars and all the other petty stuff that goes on here.. the one thing that really gets to me.. and this is coming from a mother of two under the age of two... is the reckless driving.. we live up in pultney and theres a very sharp corner on our street and kids play just around it all the time.. time and time again i have seen cars fly by not even looking to see if any children are around!
also ive had a few close encounters with idiots who should never have passed their tests!
you know how it is when you are trying to cross the street and when the light turns and you start to cross some fools seem to think this means go faster not stop and ive had to jerk the buggy back several times .. also the pedestrian walk in the town centre.. thought it was just that a pesestrian area.. been there many times and been about run down by people to lazy to go around and drive straight thru thinking that anyone in there way can just jump out of thier way.. its not easy with a buggy full of baby and shopping!
ohh well i could rant on and on.. about the speeding in the town , how they fly thru the school zones.. and just disreagard traffic rules and pedestrians.. but will stop my rant here.. *laughs* it could become a full fledged rage! *grins* im a very overprotective mum.. and dont like having to guard my babies when im walking down the street! :Razz

AR
27-Aug-04, 14:09
Loafer, i do realise that anyone can get credit now, and i cannot remember( im not saying there isnt) seeing anything in the paper etc years ago about 'cruisers'.
I cant be bothered by doing it myself now, but its part of growing up for a lot of people. Ireally think there is less people crusing now than 6 or 7 years ago, when i was one of them! And the FILTH (most members of northern constabulary, not all of them) do not need any encouragement to pester motorists.They DO need to go and catch real criminals.
I have sat in many cars with older drivers only to find them oblivious of what is going on round them, children playing etc, even though they are only driving at 20mph! Which i think is more dangerous than some one who is alert driving at 30mph, I cant condone anyone driving faster in a 30 zone. If you want to drive fast i know a good racetrack- the A9!! (JOKE)

Seabird
27-Aug-04, 20:17
It seems drivers that break speed limits or ignor the rules of the road dont consider themselfs as criminals.
It is that attitude that leads to accidents and death on the roads.
More people are killed by motorist each year than are killed by any so called criminal.
An armed robber may kill no one while stealing, he will get 10 years iF he is cought.
Kill or maim a person while driving to fast or drunk you would be unlucky if you got 6 months.
A car weighs about 2 ton in the hands of idiots its more lethal then any hand gun.
Speak to any doctor or traffic cop who tells a wife or husband that their loved one wont be home. They could give some graphic detales of the aftermath of an accident.
( i can tell you a few gory stories my Father inlaw used to tell me. He pick up the dead from traffic accidents) But this is not the place. I think most ofyou get the massage, i just hope the boy racers do.

John Traill
27-Aug-04, 21:57
Whats even more annoying is the busses parking next to the hotel by the traffic lights holding up all the traffic at 5 o'clock first of all its dangerous and if its a foreign bus there actually coming out onto the road as cars are trying to get around the bus
I completely agree. There should be double yellow lines along there.
Wait a minute. There ARE! I wonder what they mean?

JT

©Amethyst
27-Aug-04, 22:03
As far as Cruisers go - some of them are nice people who just have little else to do. The cinema's tacky and over-priced, some have to go to work in the morning, so they stay out the pubs... etc.

My b/f and I sometimes go out in the car (which is a rover 45, none of yer cruisin' tack) and drive around looking out for a friend of ours just so we can annoy him... kinda turning into a running joke.

Sometimes we just drive around and listen to music to get us out of the flat or whatever.

Yes, there are some fools who are notorious speeders (I know one of them who has been stopped all too often). The ones that just drive around, speeding for the sake of it are the idiots.

As far as the Dounreay traffic goes... the cruisers go home for their dinner at that time! It's not until later that they drive around the circut.

John Traill
27-Aug-04, 22:19
As far as Cruisers go - some of them are nice people who just have little else to do. The cinema's tacky and over-priced, some have to go to work in the morning, so they stay out the pubs... etc.
:
:
As far as the Dounreay traffic goes... the cruisers go home for their dinner at that time! It's not until later that they drive around the circut.
There isn't "nothing to do" in Caithness. There are hundreds of things to do. There's a list of 144 sports clubs on Caithness.org alone. The Cruisers may be nice people who just have little imagination.
The All Star Factory is one of the best cinemas I have ever been in. The two screens aren't very big, but they have very comfortable seats and the screens take up a large proportion of your view and you're not so far from the speakers that the surround sound isn't right. Also, it isn't overpriced. You pay a lot more for tickets, drinks and food in cinemas south of here. e.g. in Inverness 50p more per person and the same price for one size smaller in drinks and popcorn.
I've seen the cruisers at the same time as Dounreay traffic. I recognize some and while I've been sitting in a queue of traffic, waiting impatiently as two cars at a time get through the lights after squeezing past the tour bus parked outside the Royal, I've seen them go round the circuit a couple of times.

In case that wasn't clear, I completely disagree with you. :)

JT

Apocalypse
28-Aug-04, 16:51
people cruse in there cars because there is nuthin to do in week and because its a way of showing off ur nice car...wen i have a car i will spin around in ma car too as there is nuthin else to do [lol]

JAWS
28-Aug-04, 23:14
The eternal cry of youth "There's nothing to do around here!"
Is there no end to the same old boring complaint? :roll: :roll:

Zael
29-Aug-04, 09:46
"Oh look at all the things that I'd like to do, you should go and do them instead of anything you might like to do!!!"

Wheres the question of "what would you like to do today young un?"

No driving about the street, cause you annoy some of the older generation.

No hanging about the street, cause you annoy some of the older generation.

No groups of more than 4 young uns at a time cause that must be breaking the law.

Go to the cinema and see all the "great" movies they have on offer. (2 a week?)

Take up a sport whether you like it or not.

Go walking in the hills, but dont get lost.

No ball games.

No golf.

No hanging about with the opposite sex.

No discos (unless you're minted)

No sitting playing video games all day and all night.

Why cant you go over to your mates house for a change!!!

No you cant have any money.

Get a job.

I'm busy.

Go away!!!

I remember being a teenager/young adult in Wick as well, oh what fun. You're not allowed to do what you would like to do and no one cares enough to find out what that actually is. Any wonder they all move away!!!

Where is the meeting between young and old? In the pub, cause thats what they see their parents doing so thats what they'll end up doing as well. Any wonder kids turn to drugs so early these days, no one is listening, all the adults can do is rant on about how good it was in their day and all the good things they got up to, which were probably illegal and things they wouldn't allow their kids to do today.

Just because you enjoyed it doesnt mean your kids will.

.::Zael::.

JAWS
29-Aug-04, 15:10
The Eternal Cry of Youth, "I'm Bored, there's nothing to do!"
Oh how original!

So original it's never been heard before! (For Video Games read TV or Wireless, for Disco read Dance Hall)

Is there nothing new in the Universe?
Stop being boring and try to think up something original to complain about!

squidge
29-Aug-04, 16:11
If teenagers werent bored they wouldnt be teenagers.

Being bored is what teenagers DO!!! I once read a complicated explanation which was about them actually being bored with being children and adolescents and longing for the variety and freedom that being an adult brings but hwo cares. Being bored is want teenagers do.

"Spinnin" is harmless - it maybe means we have to wait a couple of mins to get through a junction but hey - what are we doing that is so urgent it cant wait. "Spinnin" is also part of the complex "copping off" ritual that all teenagers do. Crusing around eyeing up the talent and getting yourself seen in a fancy car or with your new girl/boy friend is what it is about. We are ll so self righteous about there being so much to do in Caithness and so many things to be and play but kids just often need time to just "BE" or would we want a whole crowd of filofax kids
MOnday = swimming
Tuesday = badminton
Wednesday= walking club

etc, etc, etc

Stop being so intolerant of something that is so harmless. Its a waste of energy on your part and in any case if there was so much to do why are we all sitting here typing on our computers and not out kitesurfing, running marathons and watching the great films at the pictures

Zael
29-Aug-04, 16:16
And so your answer is what jaws? that same as you were told? (if you were ever in fact young)

is it just me that thinks you are compounding ignorance with ignorance?

No wonder you are the way you seem to be jaws if you have spent you're whole life listening to that from your elders and still after all this time can't think of anything better to say to you're offspring.

I take it you are from the "good enough for me so good enough for you" camp. Dont you want to see the latest generations get something better than you had? Or are you hoping that if you hold them down to the same pathetic level you have obviously never risen above that you will in some way feel better about your own youth? Do you think that we should keep this going and keep on supressing the exuberance(?) of youth? Just so that the likes of you can continue to grow old and bitter since your own youth was so stiffled.

golach
29-Aug-04, 16:53
The Eternal Cry of Youth, "I'm Bored, there's nothing to do!"
Oh how original!

So original it's never been heard before! (For Video Games read TV or Wireless, for Disco read Dance Hall)

Is there nothing new in the Universe?
Stop being boring and try to think up something original to complain about!

Jaws I am with you all the way, an as for you Zael Grow Up will ye, if I had anything to do with the Caithness Police I would have all these nutters off the road before they hurt somebody

Golach

gleeber
29-Aug-04, 19:30
Boy Boy! What an advert for maturity.
Its good to see the young ones cruisin round the streets.
Ive never had a problem with the convoy.
Not sure why Golach or Jaws have a problem!
Is it anything to do with their own demons?
Gettin olds a drag :(

badger
29-Aug-04, 19:38
I agree - saying you pay road tax and insurance so that gives you the right to annoy other road users (both on wheels and on foot) is just selfish. The ones I really hate are those with the windows open and radios blaring, as if the rest of us want to hear it. Do they have legs I wonder? Have they ever heard of walking, running even? If that's too slow how about cycling, so long as they can be bothered to do it safely. It's all about consideration for others but there's not a lot of that about on the roads these days.

Btw, I've noticed the inability to use indicators but just assumed it was a good old Caithness custom as it does seem worse up here - and not just the over 60's (says I as one of those).

On the subject of older drivers, I'm afraid I do agree that driving too slowly is nearly as dangerous as driving too fast because it encourages risk-taking. I hate to say this but these days if you can't drive at the speed limit you really shouldn't be driving, which is terrible but with so many drivers wanting to get from A to B in the fastest possible time, it just ain't safe. Shame really as it would be nice to cruise along our lovely roads at 40 mph admiring the scenery, but the cars behind just don't appreciate it.

JAWS
29-Aug-04, 21:34
Zael, you are absolutely right I was never young.
I am the twin of Athena and sprang fully grown from the body of Zeus!

First you assume I was a little goody goody who did what Mummy told him.
Then you ask me, a doddering, senile, unimaginative old foggey to tell you what my answer is!

You are supposed to be the new generation, modern youth!
It is the duty of youth to be rebellious, it's goes with the territory.

Hell, I was being more rebellious in my forties than you are now!
The exuberance of youth? Being Roundy, Roundy Boys/Girls going in ever decreasing circles!
Is that really what you call exubirance? You have my simpathy!

Oh yes, and the new invention of Cruisin'. Ain't seen many T'birds or Pink Cadillacs lately!
"Lookin' for mates", "Showin' my car off"!
Don't insult my intelligence, I'm not that old and senile that I'll believe that's what it's all about!

Zael
30-Aug-04, 08:09
lol @ jaws

I take it then that you believe that anyone under 50 is the "modern youth".

Just because I argue on their behalf does not automatically make me one of them. I just happen to be young enough that I can remember what it was like, as squidge also seems to. You dont seem to realise that you've just dished out the same rubbish that was dropped on you, you even gave examples. If you cant see that doing the same thing to each generation does nothing but harm then I dont see the point in continuing this discussion with you.

The topic is titled "street racers" but I hardly see them racing, its like squdge says, being out there, being seen, perhaps being fancied by someone. However strange it may seem to the older, older generation, I see this as perfectly natural. Is like back in the domino days (age given away) when all the girls would dance and all the guys would walk round the outside of the dancefloor until they spotted a girl they liked (or were spotted by a girl that liked them), bit like vultures :), same process as the street cruising, same results. If birds (of the feathered kind) had cars, they would do exactly the same thing. but dont they do this with their feathers already? Its been going on for generations and will probably do so for generations to come.

I can see, looking from the older side of the fence, that if you're driving at 20mph that someone going 30 might appear to be racing, but they're not. The rock and roll generation should have loads of songs that describe this practice, how can it be so difficult to understand. Being old should not be an excuse to be annoyed by everything that the young folks do, or want to do. Jaws makes it sound like a illness, at least Gleeber has a sense of humour about it.

dragonfly
30-Aug-04, 08:58
The topic is titled "street racers" but I hardly see them racing.

Zael, you are obviously in the wrong time at the wrong place (or should that be right place, right time??) or looking through rose coloured spectacles.

I don't consider myself old but I do have first hand knowledge of bereavement caused by racing, as do many others in our county. It makes my blood boil that one persons selfishness and desire to show off can cause such emotional turmoil for innocent families. [mad] :mad: [mad]

trinkie
30-Aug-04, 11:02
It seems Petrol must be very cheap in Caithness if so much of it is being wasted in this manner.

JAWS
30-Aug-04, 12:28
Zael, I never mentioned Racing. That seems to have gone put with Juke Boxes.

Sorry, I don't remember much about the 60's because I was there and if you think it was all about standing round the edge of dance floors then you really do need to do some checking.

Wotsit, drugs and Rock n' roll! Turn on, tune in and drop out. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

All I'm saying is try to find some new 'teenage problems' because all the ones you have listed I have heard so many times before that it's like a broken CD.

Oh, yes, and I hate the modern music too! It's a load of noisy rubbish. Why don't you listen to something nice like Max Bygraves!

Zael
30-Aug-04, 13:02
Well jaws, why didnt you mention racing, thats what this thread is all about after all.

I give up on you as you really dont get the point. These problems that you've heard before, what was the solution when you heard them before?

I am now just going to ignore whatever ramblings you put on here now as you are obviously not reading what you are replying to.

Dragonfly, I can't even imagine what that must have been/is like, never having lost a loved one in this fashion. Perhaps you are right, I'm just not on the streets of Wick at the right times to see it going on. There will always be a small minority that wants to race, I've not seen them personally but I'm not going to claim they dont exist. Most of what I see is as I've described, cruising. Cars are lethal weapons and in the hands of the irresponsible, young and old kill people on a regular basis. On that front I think the news programmes should be forced to read out (possibly with pictures) the names of all those who died in a car accident that day. The irresponsible dont seem to realise that there is more than just fun and getting from a to b involved with car owership and perhaps this personalisation of the statistics might help a few more think seriously about what they do with their ton of metal.

squidge
30-Aug-04, 16:57
I really thought i had posted this once

You lot are just daft

Its about girls.... plain and simple. They are rarely racing around the streets in Wick cos the object is to be seen - not to go past like

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

This is about "copping off" Either showing yourself as available or showing yourself as having pulled a good looking girl or boy. It has gone on for generations and will continue to go on and is just a part of growing up. Racing is different, what scares me more than the kids "spinnin" are those idiots who have passed me on the road into wick several times then raced side by side along the straight. THAT is racing and that is terrifying. Or the stupid reckless fools who pass you when you are driving at 60 and make you look like you are driving at 20 miles an hour.

Idiocy is not solely to be found in the youngsters - it is to be found in any age group and as long as these kids are not endagering their own or others lives i think they should be left to it and smiled at indulgently.... maybe even enviously cos these are relatively carefree days and carefree activities.

golach
30-Aug-04, 19:48
I would slap an Anti Social Order on them, well down here anyway because they are Street Racers here, not young bairns playing with their toys sic their cars that you have up North. The thugs down here don't use their own cars (if they even had one). Why need your own car when you can break into one, thats much more responsible and LOTS more fun, you can spot them a mile off with their thuggish fake Burberry baseball caps and all the other sheep like parifinalia that they wear.
Maybe the brainies in Thursa & Week dont come into this alleged grown up league, but whats to stop them.
Squidge as nice as I know you are I dont think you would smile indulgently at them if you found your car wrapped around another car and burnt out, this is daily occurrance here

Golach

KitKat
30-Aug-04, 20:14
I must admit to sometimes having a moan as I try to turn up Kirkhill or go acrosss the roundabout and have to wait while the boy racers do their wheelies, but then I think most of these lads have jobs, often not that well paid, and they save up their own money for their cars and petrol and they spend their weekends having fun with their mates and working on their cars. Unlike the dossers we have in the town these days who don't work, won't work and sneer at those of us who are daft enough to pay taxes so they can enjoy their lifestyles.

And these boy racers will very shortly grow out of their hobbies and settle down to be our workers and dependable family men of the future, unlike the nasty selfish mob standing outside the playgrounds and sweety shops selling drugs to our schoolchildren while the police turn a blind eye to that.

Lets cut them some slack eh, and be glad their only crime is to be young. They are no more selfish than the hoards of fit, middle aged folk who insist on parking their cars along Bridge St and High St endangering pedestrians and other roadusers!

JAWS
30-Aug-04, 20:45
Squidge, you mean there are young ladies involved as well and without chaperones. Good grief, they will be showing their ankles next!
It would never have been allowed when I was young!
I think it's an absolute disgrace.
I just cannot believe that any young lady's parents would allow her out unaccompanied, I just don't know what the worlds coming to!
Where will it all end? They must be absolutely shameless!

squidge
30-Aug-04, 20:50
Squidge as nice as I know you are I dont think you would smile indulgently at them if you found your car wrapped around another car and burnt out, this is daily occurrance here

Golach

Thank you :D Of course i wouldnt smile indulgently at that sort of carry on - dont forget i too have lived in an area where car crime was a daily occurrence and i know how enraging it can be. This is not what we are talking about here in Caithness - not by a long way. We are simply talking about a group of young people enjoying their cars and their pals in a slightly inconveniencing way but in a way which harms no one. The only problem it causes is to delay us in our busy lives for maybe 30 seconds or a minute or three.

I fail to understand why it causes such grumpiness.

Naefearjustbeer
30-Aug-04, 21:00
I fail to understand why it causes such grumpiness.

Because this county is full of grumpy old people who are never bored because they spend all day moaning about other people enjoying themselves.
Anyone who is trying to get through the town at the busy times is plain stupid if they think they are going to get out of a right hand junction quickly. Use left hand turns and the traffic lights and you dont get stuck :D Its quite simple really, doesnt take many brain cells to work that out.

JAWS
30-Aug-04, 21:41
Zael, whilst the thread is called 'Street Racers' I assumed that it was the content of the original post which was being discussed, not the title.

I will refresh your memory:-

"When are the idiots in Thurso and Wick that go round in circles going to grow up and spend their time doing something useful rather than drive round in circles. They must go through tyre after tyre on the right hand side of their cars!! I sat waiting for over 5 minutes one night whilst they drove round in circles and I couldn't turn right out of the street next to the clydesdale. Combine that with the DOunreay car rush and it's grid lock but they still do it! Only some of them have cars worth showing off (I'm sure there are some corsa and clios doing the circuit!!!!!) and the rest are a joke!
If any of you read this tell me why you do it and what you expect to achieve from it!! Is it picking up girls? If so it shows a lot for your pick up lines!! Oh look at my big exhaust!!
Waste of space the lot of them!! "

I see no mention of speed, but perhaps my command of English is faulty.
If you see a mention of 'speed' in the original post, please translate for me, only it's a long time since I was at Skool!"

My ancient school master told me to "Read the question! You get no marks for answering the wrong question!" Funnily enough I've always found that it was really good advice!

JAWS
30-Aug-04, 22:55
Good thinking Naefearjustbeer, I tried what you said. I drove into Wick past the Hospital, crossed the River and took the first left turn. Searched round and found the only way out. I followed your instructions and kept turning left to avoid right turns.
I extracted myself from a cul-de-sac and tried again. Turned left and kept turning first left.
You are correct, I eventually arrived at the traffic lights without ever once turning right.
There wasn't a lot of traffic to hold me up in Watten when I turned left onto the main road to get back to the traffic lights.

And the good part was, by the time I got to the traffic lights the 'Rush Hour' was over because everybody had gone home!

Thanks for the tip!

golach
30-Aug-04, 23:39
Because this county is full of grumpy old people who are never bored because they spend all day moaning about other people enjoying themselves. .

Naefear, you are so right I am so proud o being Grumpy ...even my Grandkids call me Grumpy Grandpa...so what when ye get till our age ye hev earned the right. If it wissna for us grumpy owld folks and our parents.... you lot would be speaking German or Russian or maybe even Argentinian by now
Get a life an stick till the Beer

Golach

squidge
30-Aug-04, 23:42
Golach

The difference is that you are not really grumpy - you are a sweetheart and putting on the grumpy face is just a front that a wee smile can find a way through

XXXXXXXXXXXX :o)

sassylass
31-Aug-04, 01:14
[lol] Squidge you hit the nail on the head...golach isn't grumpy he's very sweet. And my daughter also hit the nail on the head when she described him as a Salty Old Dog. A good combo - sweet and savory.

JAWS
31-Aug-04, 03:22
Golach, sharpen your claws! You're having your image ruined.
They're trying to make you look like a pussy cat. :evil

Naefearjustbeer
31-Aug-04, 13:15
Good thinking Naefearjustbeer, I tried what you said. I drove into Wick past the Hospital, crossed the River and took the first left turn. Searched round and found the only way out. I followed your instructions and kept turning left to avoid right turns.
I extracted myself from a cul-de-sac and tried again. Turned left and kept turning first left.
You are correct, I eventually arrived at the traffic lights without ever once turning right.
There wasn't a lot of traffic to hold me up in Watten when I turned left onto the main road to get back to the traffic lights.

And the good part was, by the time I got to the traffic lights the 'Rush Hour' was over because everybody had gone home!

Thanks for the tip!

If you read the earlyer postings about being stuck trying to turn right at the Clydsedale bank in THURSO at Dounreay traffic time you will see what I say makes sense. It is easy to navigate your way round THURSO using the traffic lights and left hand turns with no nead to turn right.

JAWS
31-Aug-04, 13:48
OK. we will discuss Thurso.
If everybody used left turns only to get to the lights, which is possible, all that means is that more congestion is created because of the excess distance vehicles have to travel in an already small congested area.
One vehicle taking that approach may be fine but most drivers turning right out of most of the side roads have the same problem, what happens when they all do it?

Naefearjustbeer
31-Aug-04, 15:15
OK. we will discuss Thurso.
If everybody used left turns only to get to the lights, which is possible, all that means is that more congestion is created because of the excess distance vehicles have to travel in an already small congested area.
One vehicle taking that approach may be fine but most drivers turning right out of most of the side roads have the same problem, what happens when they all do it?

The person stuck waiting to turn right is no longer stuck

Apocalypse
31-Aug-04, 20:39
there is nuthin wrong with spinning around in ur car if u have 1 and they dnt go that crazy and they only race on the main road...me and ma dad go crusing in the streets and he is 36 years old and ma uncle too so its not just the young 1 ppl that go crusing on the streets [mad]

Liz
31-Aug-04, 22:45
How do all these racers and cruisers afford the petrol?!!!! ;)

I have no objection to people having fun but not if it puts other people's, and animals, lives at risk.

JAWS
31-Aug-04, 23:39
I'm glad you told me they had gone Naefearjustbeer, I was about to turn out with Food Parcels for them. :roll:

Apocalypse, don't let your dad hear you say 36 is not too young!
That will really upset him! :evil

©Amethyst
05-Sep-04, 18:04
How do all these racers and cruisers afford the petrol?!!!! ;)

I have no objection to people having fun but not if it puts other people's lives at risk.

1 - they have jobs... it's not like they're still at school these guys.

2 - they're only putting other people's lives at risk if those people are stupid enough to go and sit in the way of the cars.

JAWS
05-Sep-04, 19:23
Oh Amethyst, how could you do it to me?
Whatever made you get an old, senile, out of touch, intollerant wrinkly like me come to the defence of you young uns!

I suspect there are two problems here, firstly there is cruisin and secondly there are the inexperienced speed merchants.

Cruisin, however irritating and annoying some people may find it is hardly likely to hurt anybody any more than anybody else driving through town. (Unless it causes somebody like me to burst a blood vessel in frustration!)

Young drivers, who have not been driving long enough to gain experience, driving along some of the roads outside town at speeds in excess of their abilities is quite a different problem and can be dangerous both to themselves and others!
I know it's not all the youngsters who do it but a few do so don't jump down my throat kids. You yourselves know the ones who do and those that don't.

We've all been young at sometime (Yes, even me, but don't tell anybody folks!) and we've all been inexperienced drivers.
Let he who is without sin ......., hands up anybody who has never 'got it wrong' at some time.

Young uns, watch out for the blind crests and the sneaky bends, old uns, if you see them being daft and know them, don't scream at them, try and explain to them how not to get it wrong next time.

I've seen and occasionally caused enough bent metal in my time to know it's not only young uns who can get it wrong!
"Oops! Hello again ditch!" I've met some very interesting roadside diches in my time.

squidge
05-Sep-04, 21:48
Yep Jaws

You are right its not just the youngsters, I am well aquainted with a wall or two and for some reason i got a bit close to a couple of fiestas too

A moments distraction is all it takes and thankfully i was none the worse for my little mishaps but some are not so lucky.

Liz
05-Sep-04, 22:25

2 - they're only putting other people's lives at risk if those people are stupid enough to go and sit in the way of the cars.

Wish I'd been able to tell that to the thirteen cats who were killed within one year on one small stretch of road!!!!! :(

JAWS
06-Sep-04, 01:07
Liz, was that in Wick Town Centre or Thurso Town Centre?

Zael
06-Sep-04, 10:15
With all this inexperience driving about (not disputing that) and the obvious passion for driving up here, is there not some way to get some kind of advanced driving school going, from what I've read the advanced driving test is pretty advanced, a bit more than common sense. It also does wonders for your insurance, especially the younger drivers. Even in my advancing years I'd like to do it just never found anyone here offering lessons etc. There's a wee campaign in the making, try and organise advanced driving in Caithness, make us a centre of excelence in advanced motoring. The likes of land rover think we have great roads (and off roads) up here, so why not have great drivers to go with it?

Liz
06-Sep-04, 12:01
Liz, was that in Wick Town Centre or Thurso Town Centre?

Neither. It was in Reiss, on the main road, between the 40mph speed limit!!!! :roll:

squidge
06-Sep-04, 20:05
Neither. It was in Reiss, on the main road, between the 40mph speed limit!!!! :roll:

Thats a different issue though liz. The speeds people drive through Reiss is scary and that road over Killimster is terrifying. Its so up and down that i would be scared i was gonna take off!!

Having said that i hit a cat on the road at Reiss a year or so ago and i was driving at under the speed limit. I did stop but i couldnt see it i hoped it had run off but i guessed it was probably away to die somewhere.

I think Zael's advanced Driving School would be a good thing and i am sure that it would be popular. I wonder why no one has done it so far.

Apocalypse
06-Sep-04, 20:36
squidge did the cat damage ur car.....cats have damaged 2 of ma dads pug 306 and he was doin the speed limit its like hittin a brick wall..lol

Liz
06-Sep-04, 21:11
Having said that i hit a cat on the road at Reiss a year or so ago and i was driving at under the speed limit. I did stop but i couldnt see it i hoped it had run off but i guessed it was probably away to die somewhere.

I will admit I have gone off on a slight tangent but the 'street racers' come out here at night time and race back in to Wick!

I do realise that cats can 'dart' out in front of a car and, in cases like yours, it is a genuine accident and you had the decency to stop!
However, thirteen cats in one year on the same stretch of road is a bit above average! :roll:

Apocolypse you have a weird sense of humour if you find anything remotely funny in a an animal being killed. Has it not occurred to you it could be a much loved family pet? [mad]

JAWS
06-Sep-04, 23:31
Sorry Liz, I thought we were discussing the kids cruisin in Wick and Thurso Town Centres.
I didn't know they went cruisin round Reiss.

Did you get the ages of the drivers who killed the cats?

Liz
07-Sep-04, 00:01
No Jaws. I don't actually know who 'killed' the cats.
I'm not being 'agist' as I know it's not only the 'young' who speed!

However, I do know that two of the drivers, who come out of the town to race back in to Wick, (they line their cars up side for side before starting their race!) are in their twenties.

I did phone the Police about it as it was happening regularly at the same time every night but nothing happened. :roll:

JAWS
07-Sep-04, 02:57
So the problem isn't due to cruisin at all.

The problem is caused by general traffic using a main road and a couple of fairly young males who are being stupid.

Does this problem occur in the rest of Caithness or is it just in Reiss?

Apocalypse
07-Sep-04, 14:26
no liz i dont find it funny many of my cats and dogs have been killed in week....i dont think my dad found it funny wen he saw the mess of his cars and both times he stoped and tryed to stop from hittin them and did go to the owners of the cats :(