PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins .....Weather Comments, Questions etc

Tugmistress
16-Dec-10, 00:23
You can see on the graph below the change in wind direction to the north and the sudden drop in temperature.....
as soon as the dew point hits 0c it'll be cold enough to snow instead of rain.

I've put this in so it constantly updates each time the computer uploads the data.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/weather/weather.gif

Tugmistress
16-Dec-10, 00:23
You can see on the graph below the change in wind direction to the north and the sudden drop in temperature.....
as soon as the dew point hits 0c it'll be cold enough to snow instead of rain.

I've put this in so it constantly updates each time the computer uploads the data.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/weather/weather.gif

Gronnuck
16-Dec-10, 00:29
This is all exciting stuff Tugs - thanks for the charts and the detailed information. I've learnt alot this week **cheers**
All I don't want to see now is the snow,:confused;)

sweetpea
16-Dec-10, 00:39
According to my modest wee station here in Wick it's dropped 2.5 degrees in the last hour.

Kenn
16-Dec-10, 00:42
Temp dropping rapidly here too in Reay. poor wind direction thingy is having a breakdown as it's behin the houe.

greener
16-Dec-10, 00:43
What great site, very well done, will never be of it now Thanks

sandyr1
16-Dec-10, 00:50
Really good.....Nice to see Caithness in Florida.

neilsermk1
16-Dec-10, 00:58
Temp dropped 3.5 degress in last hour in thurso according to my max min thermometer.
Great stuff Tugmistress we dont often get to witness such rapid changes as they happen, thanks for the great info.

Metalattakk
16-Dec-10, 05:59
There's the snow just started here in Thurso. And it's not the nice fluffy Christmas card snow either. It's the evil stuff. [evil]

It's no' hingan' aboot either, it's being whipped around by the wind bonny style.

Take care on the roads, fowks.

you
16-Dec-10, 07:32
Thank you for your work, Tugmistress. Have decided not to go by bus to Inverness today - may not get back. Train already cancelled.

Tugmistress
16-Dec-10, 07:50
Well i can only go by what i can see out my door, there's not a lot lying here and as said earlier it's those nasty little graupel balls that hurt when they hit :( surprised i can't see more to be honest, unless the huge lump of cloud that was coming down has missed us or it's not got here yet :confused

chaz
16-Dec-10, 08:32
It looks wild outside here, not looking forward to going out, not a lot lying tho. Thank you tugmistress for warnings xxx

northener
16-Dec-10, 08:38
You know what it's like up here sometimes, we appear to 'miss' the brunt of the weather...but it's still early in the day I suppose.

I'm fascinated by the info on the weatherstations you've linked to. I've got the Keiss station on my toolbar now, I see you're getting clobbered by the wind at the moment - 45mph as opposed to 21 over here.:Razz

embow
16-Dec-10, 09:15
Well i can only go by what i can see out my door, there's not a lot lying here and as said earlier it's those nasty little graupel balls that hurt when they hit :( surprised i can't see more to be honest, unless the huge lump of cloud that was coming down has missed us or it's not got here yet :confused
Methinks it has missed Caithness? Looks like a number of showers, none of which at present seem to be too threatening, but the strong wind could easily change all that. The day is yet young!
http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united-kingdom.html

ywindythesecond
16-Dec-10, 09:21
Great stuff Tuggs. A couple of questions though.
1. Where is the weather station? Is it Scrabster?
2. In the "Current Conditions" box, the average wind speed changes constantly. Over what period is the average taken?
3. What does "7 bft" mean?
Thanks
ywy2

Corrie 3
16-Dec-10, 09:27
Only a sprinkling of the evil round mini snowball stuff so far but the wind is whipping it about.....Traffic is still moving on the A9.

C3...:(

SunnyChick
16-Dec-10, 09:54
Feels like the bloomin tundra out here!

Not much white stuff on the ground, but it is absolutely bracing outside!

The wind steals your breath, and sticks invisible pins in your eyes! :eek:

NOT GOOD!

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-10, 09:58
There might not be much snow but its deadly! Its layers of ice. Hubby near fell on his bum coming in from work today.

Phoned the school to confirm they were open, yes they are open but might close later depending on wind and/or snowfall :confused

Gonna have to get hubby out of bed because i will have to go get them if they do close. Cant take Athrun and Jay in this! :(

golach
16-Dec-10, 10:01
2. In the "Current Conditions" box, the average wind speed changes constantly. Over what period is the average taken?
Thanks
ywy2

At a guess I would say Bft stands for Beaufort Scale

poppett
16-Dec-10, 10:37
It is trecherous out there. Gritter up our street before 8am and we never see them without numerous phone calls, so I knew it was bad.

Hope OH is ok Shelley. Did you not invest in Fraser`s Rock salt for the path? Ours was still clear this morning from the residue after the last wintery weather.

Take care out there.

Tugmistress
16-Dec-10, 11:11
Thanks
ywy2

Hi ywy2 :)
ok to answer your questions,
1 - the graph at the top is indeed scrabster
2 - the average speed is taken over a ten minute period
7 - 7bft is indeed force 7 on the beaufort scale which equates to 32 to 38mph

a good visual for the beaufort scale can be seen here (http://www.mountwashington.org/education/center/arcade/wind/beaufort.html)

Dadie
16-Dec-10, 12:25
We are getting a blast of the fluffy stuff now!
This morning it was all hail we got...I chickened out of using the buggy and took the car to nursery (bad mummy!) and there is ice underneath whats there as Poppy dog skidded over trying to stop before getting in the backdoor this morning.
The wheelie bin lid has stopped flapping so either the wind has changed direction or its fallen over!
What am I going to wear tommorrow? Im wrapped up in leggings under my jeans today with a cozy long jumper on but still feel cold!
I will have to make a bit of an effort to dress up.....but the icy wind is chilling me to the bone!
I dont want to go back out....but I think something would be said if I forgot to get Lauren from nursery.....:eek:

Dog-eared
16-Dec-10, 13:54
Tugmistress -
The wind indicator dial only goes up to 50mph. What happens when the windspeed goes above that ?
Or have you arranged things so that's the max we'll get :D

Metalattakk
16-Dec-10, 13:58
Tugmistress -
The wind indicator dial only goes up to 50mph. What happens when the windspeed goes above that ?

A wee animated pic of a full clothes-line flapping in the breeze pops up, to signify that it is indeed "a good drying day".

annemarie482
16-Dec-10, 14:04
is the fluffy snow likely to return tuggs?
or just this powdery stuff?

Tugmistress
16-Dec-10, 14:09
Tugmistress -
Or have you arranged things so that's the max we'll get :D

it's clever, it automatically 'resizes' when the wind gets higher :D

A wee animated pic of a full clothes-line flapping in the breeze pops up, to signify that it is indeed "a good drying day".

lmao nice one!

is the fluffy snow likely to return tuggs?
or just this powdery stuff?

While it's baltic like this from the north i think it's liable to stay as graupel (nasty snowballs similar to hail) but if the dew point raises a bit then it could turn fluffy again.

bekisman
16-Dec-10, 14:19
While it's baltic like this from the north i think it's liable to stay as graupel (nasty snowballs similar to hail) but if the dew point raises a bit then it could turn fluffy again.

'graupel' - just looked on Wiki - I like that :lol:

annemarie482
16-Dec-10, 15:09
i spoke to soon! lol
keiss/lyth in the thick of the fluffy stuff right now!! lol

ShelleyCowie
16-Dec-10, 15:12
i spoke to soon! lol
keiss/lyth in the thick of the fluffy stuff right now!! lol

I was all set up for mass snow blizzards all day.......still waiting! :lol: Bit of hail here and there but thats it! Have Thurso missed it?! :cool:

Vistravi
16-Dec-10, 15:23
My partner came home last night from helping a friend with a car issue last night, with his celica. He tells me he needs to run it for a couple of days to keep her running sweet. He took it from his parents house as we don't have our driveway in yet so it can't come here to sit waiting for spring lol.
I tell him has he forgotten that tomorrow the snow starts. Sends him panicking putting it back and returning with our car.
And what do we have atm? Hail and stone like snow [lol]
Needless to say he isn't too impressed lol. But the day is still young lol.

Vistravi
16-Dec-10, 15:28
We are getting a blast of the fluffy stuff now!
This morning it was all hail we got...I chickened out of using the buggy and took the car to nursery (bad mummy!) and there is ice underneath whats there as Poppy dog skidded over trying to stop before getting in the backdoor this morning.
The wheelie bin lid has stopped flapping so either the wind has changed direction or its fallen over!
What am I going to wear tommorrow? Im wrapped up in leggings under my jeans today with a cozy long jumper on but still feel cold!
I will have to make a bit of an effort to dress up.....but the icy wind is chilling me to the bone!
I dont want to go back out....but I think something would be said if I forgot to get Lauren from nursery.....:eek:

I know. I have to go out myself later and Sami will be gurning later if he doesn't get out for a bit.
I really don't want to go out but i have to argh.
So put my good boots on and my winter jacket and tell myself not be a wuss is in order later lol.

Sage
16-Dec-10, 17:30
this is FAb Tugs! Any chance of making it a sticky topic so we can come back to it again (and again and again :D )

ywindythesecond
16-Dec-10, 21:59
Hi ywy2 :)
ok to answer your questions,
1 - the graph at the top is indeed scrabster
2 - the average speed is taken over a ten minute period
7 - 7bft is indeed force 7 on the beaufort scale which equates to 32 to 38mph

a good visual for the beaufort scale can be seen here (http://www.mountwashington.org/education/center/arcade/wind/beaufort.html)

Thanks Tuggs and Golach, I am a lot wiser now.

ywindythesecond
16-Dec-10, 22:01
This should be a sticky, any mods out there? Bill?

adi1
16-Dec-10, 23:44
Its all been a bit of a storm in a tea cup really, well certainly on the Thurso side of the Cpunty, nothing more than winter weather if you ask me.
I personally think it smacks of mass hysteria fueled by the press after the last snow fall brought the country to a halt.

neepnipper
18-Dec-10, 22:56
Tugs, could we have a forecast for the next few days, please x:)

ducati
18-Dec-10, 23:00
Its all been a bit of a storm in a tea cup really, well certainly on the Thurso side of the Cpunty, nothing more than winter weather if you ask me.
I personally think it smacks of mass hysteria fueled by the press after the last snow fall brought the country to a halt.

And now? :lol:

Tugmistress
19-Dec-10, 10:34
Tugs, could we have a forecast for the next few days, please x:)

I'll do a forecast about tea time tonight when my fav charts are out :)

annemarie482
19-Dec-10, 10:55
i see heathrows shut to arrivals....
but what are the odds of my oh getting away on the wick edinburgh flight @4 tuggs?
he's hoping not! lol

lindsaymcc
19-Dec-10, 10:59
Im keeping an eye on the Logan Air website for the Wick-Edinburgh flights. My dad is flying up on Wednesday but I know the flights have been cancelled the last 2 days.

With this much white stuff coming down here in Thurso, I cant see any flights going out before Tuesday :-(

Ricco
19-Dec-10, 11:18
Its been a bit wild down here but no-where as bad as you guys. Took the car out for a bit of a dance yesterday - some interesting chances of recovery practice on some of the bends.

lindsaymcc
19-Dec-10, 15:17
Looks like the WICK FLIGHT to EDINBURGH will be happening!!!

The status of the flight up from Edinburgh is currently BOARDING so looking good! Fingers crossed that the same happens on Wednesday!!!!

Chrisf1961
19-Dec-10, 15:19
Thats good be nice to see your Dad for Christmas

annemarie482
19-Dec-10, 16:15
Looks like the WICK FLIGHT to EDINBURGH will be happening!!!

The status of the flight up from Edinburgh is currently BOARDING so looking good! Fingers crossed that the same happens on Wednesday!!!!

not true anymore, they haven't updated the site!!
my oh has been told its not going until half seven weather permitting.
but edinburgh aiport has said its having departing planes only!
and his connecting flight to heathrow is cancelled! :eek:

lindsaymcc
19-Dec-10, 18:03
The Edinburgh - Wick flight was up in the air at 4.23pm, so its on its way.

Allowing for a turn around, I would think 6pm for the return flight down, although Website is saying 5.30pm

I still think, on what has been an awful day weather wise, the fact the plane is airbourne is a good sign.

I know that a lot of Gatwick/Heathrow planes have been cancelled...... its a complete nightmare!

mums angels
19-Dec-10, 19:25
My hubby is due to leave Angola late tomorrow to catch a connecting flight in Johanasburg to heathrow , so far it isnt looking positive as there have been guys waiting to go out for the last few days that are still stuck in Africa as France is also closed . Hubby has given me instructions to carry on without him if he cant get home but older kids and I have discussed it and agreed that we will postpone xmas if we need to as the other two are young enough not to notice the day but are still keeping fingers crossed . As long as he arrives in the UK i have had many kind folk offer there services , cars etc to go pick him up even if its from London . Nice to know there are so many helpful people out there :D Good luck to all those that have family coming home for xmas /or going somewhere . Lets hope Tugs comes on and gives us good news .

saba
19-Dec-10, 19:31
Afraid to say this but the Edinburgh - Wick plane has been "diverted" and the Wick - Edinburgh flight tonight has been "cancelled" :(

changilass
19-Dec-10, 19:32
Tuggs has a sticky that is for updates only, so we can see at a glance what is going on.

annemarie482
19-Dec-10, 19:40
Afraid to say this but the Edinburgh - Wick plane has been "diverted" and the Wick - Edinburgh flight tonight has been "cancelled" :(

yep, oh is re-booked on the first flight to aberdeen tomorrow now,
as he needs to get to istanbul for tuesday morning for work.
wonder if the airport will be open in the morning? :confused

newpark
20-Dec-10, 20:06
any chance we will be getting snow tonight?

Tugmistress
20-Dec-10, 21:33
If we do it'll be very little i think, more so a frost.

Chrisf1961
20-Dec-10, 21:57
When will things warm up Tuggs and a thaw come on ?

ducati
20-Dec-10, 23:18
When will things warm up Tuggs and a thaw come on ?

April [lol]

Tugmistress
21-Dec-10, 07:50
Hi Chrisf1961,
we might get a slight thaw during the day when we get some brightness and sunshine, but i can't see an end to this within the next 5 days yet.

sweetpea
21-Dec-10, 12:03
Maybe I'm seeing things but outside just now the air is sparkling, like fairy dust in the sun.

Tugmistress
21-Dec-10, 12:11
Maybe I'm seeing things but outside just now the air is sparkling, like fairy dust in the sun.

you are quite probably seeing the freezing fog :D it's very pretty when you can see it like that but flipping dangerous too

sweetpea
21-Dec-10, 12:17
I'd never have thought it was that. Aye dangerous, I'm clearing the steps down to the bunker for the coal man. I feel bad that he has to lug 6 bags, so don't want him slipping:eek:

changilass
21-Dec-10, 20:44
I like the idea of the thaw Tuggs, is it a major thaw or just a wee one?

Hoping to head to Newcastle on monday morning!!

Tugmistress
21-Dec-10, 20:52
from what i can see it wont be as fast as the last one, but hopefully just as thorough, but no promises yet lol

divanp75
21-Dec-10, 20:57
Hi Chrisf1961,
we might get a slight thaw during the day when we get some brightness and sunshine, but i can't see an end to this within the next 5 days yet.

any idea how long this is going to be about. I heard it could be feb before we get free of this. Any thought Tugs??

Diane

Tugmistress
21-Dec-10, 21:12
Hi Divanp75
i can see the start of a thaw on sunday, but as i said above, no promises yet :) but it's looking like that MIGHT be the end of this particular cold spell!

divanp75
21-Dec-10, 22:54
Hi Divanp75
i can see the start of a thaw on sunday, but as i said above, no promises yet :) but it's looking like that MIGHT be the end of this particular cold spell!

so there is possibilities that these cold spells could be repeated??

Thanks

Diane

changilass
21-Dec-10, 23:30
Its definately a bitty on the cowld side tonight, hubby just came in from walking the dowg and he has slobber icicles (the dowg not hubbie that is).

Tugmistress
22-Dec-10, 07:52
so there is possibilities that these cold spells could be repeated??

Thanks

Diane

Hi diane,
yes there is that possibility i'm afraid, i'll be keeping a close eye on what's happening.

Its definately a bitty on the cowld side tonight, hubby just came in from walking the dowg and he has slobber icicles (the dowg not hubbie that is).

lmao nice one, i can just imagine that! :lol:

wickscorrie
22-Dec-10, 09:06
tuggs, are we getting more snow tomorrow, the met office are saying more white stuff

Tugmistress
22-Dec-10, 12:03
I'll have a look later when home and the charts i like are out, i am not sure yet but i don't remember seeing any when i was looking last night.

Venture
22-Dec-10, 12:31
It's beginning to snow in Wick at the moment.

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 12:34
It's beginning to snow in Wick at the moment.

No heavily though?! PLEASE?!

speedo215
22-Dec-10, 12:39
the met office are forecasting heavy snow for wick at 12pm and then light snow for 3pm

brandy
22-Dec-10, 12:48
well its def. snowing right now *laughs* the lovely stuff that comes straight down

DocStone
22-Dec-10, 12:49
You can watch the snow coming in here:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks like we may get some more!

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 12:51
PLEASE dont delay the Wick flight any more..... i cant take much more of this!

Venture
22-Dec-10, 13:18
It's stopped again Lindsaymcc. Is your Dad on his flight yet?

lindsaymcc
22-Dec-10, 16:04
Home safe and sound! The weather can do as it pleases now!!!

Liz
22-Dec-10, 19:41
Home safe and sound! The weather can do as it pleases now!!!

That's great news Lindsay!!! Really chuffed for you.

Hope other loved ones get to their destinations in time for Christmas.:D

Tugmistress
22-Dec-10, 20:49
tuggs, are we getting more snow tomorrow, the met office are saying more white stuff

Distinct possibility of it yes, mainly on the east coast side to begin with but may spread over the whole county in the evening - it looks like just showers but one or two may be heavy.

greener
22-Dec-10, 23:28
I thought I read on here that you have data from 7 sites in Caithness (maybe wrong ), if so how do we find data on the Wick side if that is possible.That would be great for us as you can appreciate there can be a great deal of difference between the 21 miles.

wickscorrie
23-Dec-10, 00:11
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/wick_latest_weather.html
hi from the met office

greener
23-Dec-10, 00:53
Thank's Wickscorrie great site and very usful.:)

Tugmistress
23-Dec-10, 07:56
I thought I read on here that you have data from 7 sites in Caithness (maybe wrong ), if so how do we find data on the Wick side if that is possible.That would be great for us as you can appreciate there can be a great deal of difference between the 21 miles.

if you go on to my website (http://www.tugmistress.co.uk) on the left hand menu you will see links to the data from Keiss, Dunbeath and Lybster, they're the 3 on the east side :)

annemarie482
26-Dec-10, 11:54
so are we headed for the big thaw yet tuggs?

Tugmistress
26-Dec-10, 12:02
in a word, no!
it's staying about 2c colder than i expected at the moment, there's a band of cloud heading in from the west that i originally posted would be here by now, but it's not, it's slowed down, and it should have been bringing rain - BUT - with the temps staying that bit colder, it may bring a bit more snow if it doesn't warm up by about 3c by the time it does get here!

and just to upset everyone - it's not looking like it's going to be a fast thaw like last time, though that'll stop any flooding like last time, but i reckon not everything will be melted by the time it's looking like another cold snap is coming in next weekend - eek! i wont know for definate about next weekend for another day or two but a brief look today and conflab with a friend in shetland who also does a weather station and page on facebook (gulberwickweather.co.uk) we think it may come again.

Chrisf1961
26-Dec-10, 13:42
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

neepnipper
26-Dec-10, 18:48
One good thing about the snow is... no muddy dogs!

cuddlepop
26-Dec-10, 22:49
and no muddy floor.

wickscorrie
27-Dec-10, 10:27
hmpf! i've got the muddy floor already after my 2 thugs came in this morning, and please can we have some more snow, i'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms fro no sledging lol!, even had the skis out in the garden for a quick try yesterday

brandy
27-Dec-10, 11:07
i know! spot is outside right now.. and i dread letting him back in! he was so lovley and white! and my floors have not been muddy or gritty.. just white and wet!

David Banks
27-Dec-10, 16:38
Tugmistress, can you explain the green-numbered digital clock readout at the bottom right of the display ?

I was wondering if it represented the five minute period of the displayed parameters ?

Thank you.

Tugmistress
27-Dec-10, 17:04
You are quite correct David
it is showing the five minutes of animation, the graph will not change itself but the digits on the left ie temp, wind speed etc *may* change in that time period.

Dadie
28-Dec-10, 11:09
Tugs please can I have a report for tommorrow and the next day as travel to and from Aberdeen is needed!

Tugmistress
28-Dec-10, 14:31
colder down there than up here so not as much melt water, be aware of black ice on the roads, no wind to speak of and maybe the odd shower of sleet or rain in aberdeenshire in the usual places ie huntly keith and the glens of founland (sp?) on the A96

speedo215
28-Dec-10, 17:17
are we going to be getting a cold spell this weekend then tugs?

Tugmistress
28-Dec-10, 20:39
are we going to be getting a cold spell this weekend then tugs?

It's certainly looking like hitting quite fast on saturday morning at the moment. the saving grace i can see (or can't lol) is the lack of stuff that's supposed to be falling out of the sky, but that can change as we all know! i've also posted about this on my Caithness Weather facebook page.