PDA

View Full Version : Wick Community Council

gleeber
15-Dec-10, 23:26
I read in the Courier today that the recent Wick community council meeting, the first since 3 new members were elected, that one of the new members got off to an unusual start. Councillor Laurel Bush challenged the validty of the meeting as well as calling it incompetant.
Apparently the meetings are open to the public but the new member complained that because they wernt advertised they were not in the public domain.
Maybe he has a point. People should be encouraged to play a part in the running of their communities leading ultimately to a democratic systym where the majority of voters have an inkling what they are voting for and where about a third of us dont bother to vote at all.
Ward meetings at Highland council level is a great idea and whatever you think about them its better than not having them.
Maybe councillor Bush has a point?

Blarney
15-Dec-10, 23:41
I'm inclined to agree with him too. It would do no harm to let everyone have access to these meetings and people might be more inclined to volunteer their services if they saw at first hand how the business was conducted. From what I have seen of Laurel Bush through his letters in the Groat he seems like a very intelligent man with the best interests of the community at heart. Good luck to him, he should be an asset to the Council.

squidge
16-Dec-10, 02:17
Laurel bush???? Really????

Aaldtimer
16-Dec-10, 03:56
Who the hell elected him?:confused

Stack Rock
16-Dec-10, 08:34
I don't think any-one did - not enough candidates applied so those who did, got in. If he continues in this manner at meetings I can see a mass resignation.

DMFB
16-Dec-10, 09:50
What a start or the new councillor. He is now a member of a community council that is mainly volunteers from the community who despite what people think are trying to do their best. Coming in and stating from the start about incompetence is one heck of a way to go. WIck community council has struggled to get membersand with headlines like this no wonder now that Laurel is sitting poised to have a go Im sure the job just got harder. Its so easy for folks to shout unfair and criticise from the sidelines but for the poor volunteer councillors I feel sorry for them. No wonder its hard to get members. As for letting folk know when the meetings take place that information is out there but that would mean those interested having to bother to find out instead of waiting on the information being set in your hand. [disgust]

Wind your kneck in Laurel try not to stamp all over folk trying to do good voluntarily. As they say there is a fine line between being very intelligent and nuts.;)

Gronnuck
16-Dec-10, 10:20
The people of Wick should be mindful of Joseph de Maistre's statement in 1811 when he said, "Every nation has the government it deserves."
In this case the community has got the Council it deserves,:confused

Stack Rock
16-Dec-10, 10:20
I read in the Courier today that the recent Wick community council meeting, the first since 3 new members were elected, that one of the new members got off to an unusual start. Councillor Laurel Bush challenged the validty of the meeting as well as calling it incompetant.

As I understand No public voting took place - 14 candidates stood for 16 places.

badger
16-Dec-10, 17:12
Community Council meetings are open to the public but usually very few attend, probably because it's hard to find out when/where they are held. Don't suppose they can afford to advertise in the local press. Some put up posters but there's no guarantee people will see them. Maybe they should use the .org's What's On?

Same goes for Ward Forums, although they get a bit more publicity than CCs.

Maybe if Laurel Bush had suggested a practical solution instead of just criticising .....

Mr P Cannop
16-Dec-10, 21:19
Community Council meetings are open to the public but usually very few attend, probably because it's hard to find out when/where they are held. Don't suppose they can afford to advertise in the local press. Some put up posters but there's no guarantee people will see them. Maybe they should use the .org's What's On?

Same goes for Ward Forums, although they get a bit more publicity than CCs.

Maybe if Laurel Bush had suggested a practical solution instead of just criticising .....

aye i agree that will be the best way of letting people know about the local community council meetings

Dog-eared
16-Dec-10, 23:30
At least one good thing came out of this. The article gave the time of the next meeting .

The community council don't need to buy an advert to publicise meetings, just email the Editor for a mention in the paper. Too difficult ??

Holding a meeting in a public place where the public can attend is surely not a public meeting if the public don't know when and where it is being held.

Stack Rock
16-Dec-10, 23:55
The general assumption here is the public will go to these meetings in droves if advertised. How many of you posters would attend a CC meeting? I think if any-one is really that keen they would stand for election.

scorrie
17-Dec-10, 00:38
Who the hell elected him?:confused

There was an article in the local press a few weeks ago which stated that there was a shortage of people putting their names forward for the Community Council. If Mr Bush had the balls to put his name into the hat, whilst others sat about on their arses doing nothing, then he is more than due his place on the council.

This is the big difference between those who get up and try to do something, versus those who sit on their butts at a computer screen casting aspersions.

sids
08-Feb-11, 20:03
I once thought I'd seen the Turin Shroud riding a bike.

Turns out to be a local civic dignitary!

scorrie
08-Feb-11, 20:22
I once thought I'd seen the Turin Shroud riding a bike.

Turns out to be a local civic dignitary!

Perhaps if he wore a suit and tie, drove a nice car, talked bollocks and let the people of the town down, he might fit in better with our stereotypical expectations? ;)

fraz
08-Feb-11, 20:28
Sounds now like these meetings might be worth attending even quite entertaining when and where is the next one? woops just read what happened at the last meeting me thinks mr bush has to much time on his hands.

sids
08-Feb-11, 21:09
Perhaps if he wore a suit and tie, drove a nice car, talked bollocks and let the people of the town down, he might fit in better with our stereotypical expectations? ;)

He maybe does some of those things.

gleeber
10-Feb-11, 00:14
It's a good story. Laurel Bush seems to suspect theres stuff going on behind the scenes that he's not privvy to. Maybe he's right. He put forward a reasonable argument. When asked what it was he thought the other councilors may be hiding from him he said he didnt know because he couldnt see it. Seems reasonable enough.
It canna last lol.

beelag2000
10-Feb-11, 00:34
I have no connection with the Wick CC or its sub-committees but I applaud what they do.
There is much time, effort and no doubt personal cost in what they do for the town.
Who else is going to step forward to organise and run the street party, hanging baskets, Market Square sessions, gala events and all the other things they are involved in? not any of the folk that sit behind their screens and love to critise and pull to pieces what they do, I fear!!
Yes , it would be good to have everything totally transparent so that the public could see what all is being done, how it is decided on, what it is costing and how much is generated/collected, but, that takes time and effort as well.
If the committees had to spend large amounts of their time and energy pouring over constitutional issues, completing administration, collecting data and accounting for every penny, when would the actual work be done? i.e. organising stalls, bands, sound systems, notices, advertising, curtain-siders, judges, marshalls, litterpickers, collectors, flowers, baskets etc. and who would do it all, the people that criticise! I think not!!
Bearing in mind that nearly all these volunteers have full-time jobs, family responsibilities and are involved in other groups (mainly because they are "get on with it" people and nobody else will do it) I think they should be commended for what they do.
Throughout this county their are many fine organisations that struggle each AGM to get a full compliment on the committee because people "can't be bothered" and it is left to the same old "willing horses" to do all the work.
If you are unhappy with how things are done then why not take a deep breath, put yourself forward and come and help whatever organisation you have an interest in, better still bring a friend for moral support. I can assure you, you will both be welcomed with open arms.

gleeber
10-Feb-11, 01:05
That's right Beelag and it's a thankless task.
Maybe Laurel Bush is more politically minded whilst the community council is more community minded?

sweetpea
10-Feb-11, 01:05
I can't believe what I've read in the paper. I think Laurel Bush sounds totally paranoid. Folk like Wendy Campbell are out organising fun days, putting up flowers and setting up stalls at thing in the market square as well as trying to get money for things and going for years to these meetings. It takes a hell of a lot of commitment to turn out and do somthing good like that.
I don't think it helps that news people sensationalise stories like this it just adds more hype where it's not really needed.

gleeber
10-Feb-11, 01:12
It's definately an interesting story and in the public interest. It wont be long before the national press get a hold of it.

theone
10-Feb-11, 01:21
I can't believe what I've read in the paper. I think Laurel Bush sounds totally paranoid. Folk like Wendy Campbell are out organising fun days, putting up flowers and setting up stalls at thing in the market square as well as trying to get money for things and going for years to these meetings. It takes a hell of a lot of commitment to turn out and do somthing good like that.
I don't think it helps that news people sensationalise stories like this it just adds more hype where it's not really needed.

I have to agree that I am sceptical of this Bush fellow but, at the same time, think his questioning of the advertisement of council meetings is valid.

I might be wrong, but my perception of the local council (at least in Thurso) is that it is pretty much a closed club with cliques and agendas unbecoming of the responsibilities of councillors.

I also believe that party politics plays too much of a role in local affairs. If we're all going to tow the party line from Hollyrood or Westminster, why have local government?

Maybe councillors should be appointed, a bit like jury duty, where random citizens are forced to do their duty for some period of time? Having the desire to be involved in politics should instantly rule you to be unsuitable in my opinion!

That said, I'm sure the efforts and contributions of Wendy Campbell have been recieved well by the people of Wick. I do though wonder if the organisation of fun days and flower displays should be in the realm of the council or perhaps instead under a traders association, not to the expense of the taxpayer.

sweetpea
10-Feb-11, 01:21
The sun probably will.

Metalattakk
10-Feb-11, 01:22
Great. Wick now has a bolshie hippy conspiracy theorist masquerading as a well-intentioned community councillor?

He's just a paranoid wee boyagie playing at being a man.

sweetpea
10-Feb-11, 01:29
Ok let the traders do their bit and do it just as well and let people like Wendy Campbell use their talents elsewhere, is it tax payers mone? I don't know, maybe. I know people who go out early on summer mornings to weed and deadhead flowers but didn't realise they got paid for it. Same with the Christmas lights, I believe a lot of people go round hanging them up in their own time.
As for Mr Bush I can't take him seriously, what does he do for Wick?

sweetpea
10-Feb-11, 01:36
I have no connection with the Wick CC or its sub-committees but I applaud what they do.
There is much time, effort and no doubt personal cost in what they do for the town.
Who else is going to step forward to organise and run the street party, hanging baskets, Market Square sessions, gala events and all the other things they are involved in? not any of the folk that sit behind their screens and love to critise and pull to pieces what they do, I fear!!
Yes , it would be good to have everything totally transparent so that the public could see what all is being done, how it is decided on, what it is costing and how much is generated/collected, but, that takes time and effort as well.
If the committees had to spend large amounts of their time and energy pouring over constitutional issues, completing administration, collecting data and accounting for every penny, when would the actual work be done? i.e. organising stalls, bands, sound systems, notices, advertising, curtain-siders, judges, marshalls, litterpickers, collectors, flowers, baskets etc. and who would do it all, the people that criticise! I think not!!
Bearing in mind that nearly all these volunteers have full-time jobs, family responsibilities and are involved in other groups (mainly because they are "get on with it" people and nobody else will do it) I think they should be commended for what they do.
Throughout this county their are many fine organisations that struggle each AGM to get a full compliment on the committee because people "can't be bothered" and it is left to the same old "willing horses" to do all the work.
If you are unhappy with how things are done then why not take a deep breath, put yourself forward and come and help whatever organisation you have an interest in, better still bring a friend for moral support. I can assure you, you will both be welcomed with open arms.

Well said!

theone
10-Feb-11, 01:36
Ok let the traders do their bit and do it just as well and let people like Wendy Campbell use their talents elsewhere, is it tax payers mone? I don't know, maybe. I know people who go out early on summer mornings to weed and deadhead flowers but didn't realise they got paid for it. Same with the Christmas lights, I believe a lot of people go round hanging them up in their own time.
As for Mr Bush I can't take him seriously, what does he do for Wick?

Sorry, you misunderstand me.

The people going around hanging lights or weeding are doing it as volunteers, and good on them.

My point was that I don't see why a councillor, being paid expenses, should have to encourage or coordinate such actions. I think the volunteers could do that also.

As for Mr Bush, again, I am sceptical, but I'd have to know more about his statements to make an informed decision.

Norseman
10-Feb-11, 11:19
Sorry, you misunderstand me.

The people going around hanging lights or weeding are doing it as volunteers, and good on them.

My point was that I don't see why a councillor, being paid expenses, should have to encourage or coordinate such actions. I think the volunteers could do that also.

As for Mr Bush, again, I am sceptical, but I'd have to know more about his statements to make an informed decision.

It shows how much you all now about community councils.

1 They are not paid they are all volunteers (Neither do they get expenses)
2 They only have elections if enough people stand in both Wick & Thursos case not enough people stood in the first instance to create a council and in the second instance to have an election so all those that put their name forward were automatically elected.
3 The various sub groups of Wick CC contiually struggle to get anyone to volunteer this has been reported in the papers many times if they all withdrew Wick would have no Xmas Lights, No Hogmany Street Party, No Flowers in the town centre, no maintenance of the Riverside and South Head footpaths.

Is this really what you all want if anyone wants to be part of any of these groups then they are desperate for new members who will actually do some of the hard work not criticise what they do

bridgeend
10-Feb-11, 11:43

1 They are not paid they are all volunteers (Neither do they get expenses)
2 They only have elections if enough people stand in both Wick & Thursos case not enough people stood in the first instance to create a council and in the second instance to have an election so all those that put their name forward were automatically elected.
3 The various sub groups of Wick CC contiually struggle to get anyone to volunteer this has been reported in the papers many times if they all withdrew Wick would have no Xmas Lights, No Hogmany Street Party, No Flowers in the town centre, no maintenance of the Riverside and South Head footpaths.

Is this really what you all want if anyone wants to be part of any of these groups then they are desperate for new members who will actually do some of the hard work not criticise what they do

Tha above is True but i think Mr Bush was looking for more Info on all the subgroups eg The Flowerbaskets group this group is registered under OSCR as a charity in its own right so why when it suits them are they part of the Wick CC.
Its not that long ago there were letters in the Groat about this group as some of there officebearers had a fall out.
Again the accounts for this group and others that come under the Wick CC are not available for the public to see perhaps they should be on display in the Library.
Wick CC and Thurso CC do a good job with the limited funds they have but all this Negitive press is doing Wick CC no good about time they got there house in order and either ask Mr Bush to go or try to see what it is he wants

Norseman
10-Feb-11, 12:04
Tha above is True but i think Mr Bush was looking for more Info on all the subgroups eg The Flowerbaskets group this group is registered under OSCR as a charity in its own right so why when it suits them are they part of the Wick CC.
Its not that long ago there were letters in the Groat about this group as some of there officebearers had a fall out.
Again the accounts for this group and others that come under the Wick CC are not available for the public to see perhaps they should be on display in the Library.
Wick CC and Thurso CC do a good job with the limited funds they have but all this Negitive press is doing Wick CC no good about time they got there house in order and either ask Mr Bush to go or try to see what it is he wants

Its not unusual for pepole to fall out from time to time thats human nature the important thing is the outcomes for the benefit for all.
As far as I can gather from those in the know all financial details of these groups are scrutinised by the CC yes they are seperate constituted groups but i think it is excellent that the CC keeps an eye on proceedings.
Its not everyone who want to be part of the CC but is happy to be part of for exmaple the flower baskets this is why they have seperate contitutions. They were started by the CC in the first place but grew into their own group they could go their own way and not be mentioned at all at the CC how ever I think it is good for all that they are publically reported at this meeting at which the press is present.

Mr Bush is barking up the wrong tree in my opinion

Eilanboy
10-Feb-11, 13:29

You have to be joking stating they should try and see what Bush wants.Can anyone understand why he would want to join a group who give up a lot of their spare time to improvethe town for the people of Wick when his agenda is to undermine them at every opportunity.For Gods sake it is a voluntary organisdation we are talking about what are they going to hide.The best thing he could do is get himself a job and stop sponging of the state as he obviously has too much time on his hand.He would need to improve his personnal hygeine though before any employer would consider him.Just think it would also make Wick library a much more pleasant place to visit as he tends to spend most of his time there making use of the Councils free facilities to publish all the crap he comes out with.As for people like (Theone) don,t post about matters you obviosly know nothing about.That way it will save you some embarassment.For all those who think so highly of Bush hope he gets elected as your councillor at the next election you deserve him.

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 14:03
Sounds now like these meetings might be worth attending even quite entertaining when and where is the next one? woops just read what happened at the last meeting me thinks mr bush has to much time on his hands.

Well it gets him out of 'Spoons...

bridgeend
10-Feb-11, 14:04
You have to be joking stating they should try and see what Bush wants.Can anyone understand why he would want to join a group who give up a lot of their spare time to improvethe town for the people of Wick when his agenda is to undermine them at every opportunity.For Gods sake it is a voluntary organisdation we are talking about what are they going to hide.The best thing he could do is get himself a job and stop sponging of the state as he obviously has too much time on his hand.He would need to improve his personnal hygeine though before any employer would consider him.Just think it would also make Wick library a much more pleasant place to visit as he tends to spend most of his time there making use of the Councils free facilities to publish all the crap he comes out with.As for people like (Theone) don,t post about matters you obviosly know nothing about.That way it will save you some embarassment.For all those who think so highly of Bush hope he gets elected as your councillor at the next election you deserve him.

What i mean is get all parties round the Table listen to see what it is Bush is onabout and if the parties cannot agree ask the man to resign or table a motion to call a EGM and start the council afresh hoping enough people will stand to force an election and keep Mr Bush out.
Your points are correct he is using the library computers but they are there for all to access.

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 14:11
Ah I see what all the fuss is about http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/9156/Community_stalwart_in_quit_threat.html

Next month’s meeting will be held on Monday, March 7, in the Assembly Rooms, Wick

For those interested he writes a lot of letters;
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/search.php?_FB%5Bq%5D=%22Laurel+Bush%22&tgt=site

Eilanboy
10-Feb-11, 14:53
Ah I see what all the fuss is about http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/9156/Community_stalwart_in_quit_threat.html

Next month’s meeting will be held on Monday, March 7, in the Assembly Rooms, Wick

For those interested he writes a lot of letters;
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/search.php?_FB%5Bq%5D=%22Laurel+Bush%22&tgt=site

Yeah fills the Groat every week with absolute crap letters.About time the Editor put a stop to it but the paper now seems to be more concerned with CounciL and Councillor bashing so unlikely to happen.Who is this great,knowledgeable reporter Shields we have now to put up with.When was the last time we had a GOOD NEWS story on the front page OOPS sorry they don,t do them.

Eilanboy
10-Feb-11, 15:16
Well it gets him out of 'Spoons...

Never thought of that but at least in Spoons you can avoid him due to the space not like the library

DMFB
10-Feb-11, 15:26
Mr Bush barking up the wrong tree :eek: Its more likely that he is just plain barking mad !!!!
http://www.spanglefish.com/laurelbush/index.asp?pageid=248623

Apart from all his letter writing complaining to lots of organisations contributions to the org and generally kicking folk who are trying to do good down I just wonder how much he has done for this community.How many organisations has he volunteered for and given up his time for to make improvements in this town ??? I have been following the org long enough to also remember the various digs that have been pointed his way about his identity on the org you know who you are.The community council elections are this year so all those who have such an interest in their community up you go and have a bash at it yourself and if enough of you stand Mr Laurel will need to be voted in this time instead of just walking into the group and causing more hassle than its all worth for them. Maybe he will get bored of all this and find another organisation to complaign and whine about or even worse he may get off his erse and get a proper job!!! :Razz

DMFB
10-Feb-11, 15:28
I have just had a thought thanks to the way this is going I bet poor organisers of this messageboard are about to hear from him in length :lol: good luck to you if you do.

Eilanboy
10-Feb-11, 15:37
Mr Bush barking up the wrong tree :eek: Its more likely that he is just plain barking mad !!!!
http://www.spanglefish.com/laurelbush/index.asp?pageid=248623

Apart from all his letter writing complaining to lots of organisations contributions to the org and generally kicking folk who are trying to do good down I just wonder how much he has done for this community.How many organisations has he volunteered for and given up his time for to make improvements in this town ??? I have been following the org long enough to also remember the various digs that have been pointed his way about his identity on the org you know who you are.The community council elections are this year so all those who have such an interest in their community up you go and have a bash at it yourself and if enough of you stand Mr Laurel will need to be voted in this time instead of just walking into the group and causing more hassle than its all worth for them. Maybe he will get bored of all this and find another organisation to complaign and whine about or even worse he may get off his erse and get a proper job!!! :Razz

My sentiments entirely.Don,t forget his website states he is a prospective candidate for the Wick ward in next Years Highland Council electiions.How many votes did he get last time 11

sweetpea
10-Feb-11, 15:39
Thanks for that link DMFB. He's totally insane. Fairy Magic, pints with no froth, using the side effects of pain medication to treat MH, totally barking.Best laugh I had in ages.

DMFB
10-Feb-11, 15:44
Thanks for that link DMFB. He's totally insane. Fairy Magic, pints with no froth, using the side effects of pain medication to treat MH, totally barking.Best laugh I had in ages.

You are most welcome I am long in the tooth to learn this computer lark but one of the grandkids have taught me well. My brother showed me that site.

Even Chance
10-Feb-11, 15:46

Pretty good wasnt it!!??

It seems he has a serious hatred towards the Council though. It appears to go beyond any normal disagreement, to what I would class as insanity.

DMFB
10-Feb-11, 15:48
I wonder if he will be back on this thread again defending himself I await to see. Not that I am 100% sure of hius identity but it has been mentioned bfore who he posts as.

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 16:01
Interesting to read the Councillors own website*
"And I am sure that without aid from a derivative of the juice of opium poppy, I am very unlikely to have developed this website, or to have made any impact on the life of society as a community councillor.."

"Pay rates for elected politicians, and of others in public office, should be linked to job seeker's allowance"

"To encourage active travel (walking and cycling), the default speed limit in urban areas should be reduced from 30 mph to 20 mph"

"Pints of beer in pubs should be in line-measure rather than brim-measure glasses,"

"There is no Liberty in Scotland,"

"Diagnoses subscribed by a medical professional on 14 January 2011 are considered defamatory gibberish..Self diagnosis: chronic mental fatigue, aggravated and complicated by professional mental-health treatment, but significantly relieved by side effects of dihydrocodeine tartrate prescribed for relief of age-related aches and pains"

Oh well we're all entitled to our opinions.. Having been involved in local politics, it can be quite 'interesting'..
* http://www.spanglefish.com/laurelbush/index.asp?pageid=248623

Metalattakk
10-Feb-11, 16:08
Since circa 2000, I have been avoiding contact with professional mental-health specialistsThat explains a lot.

Maybe he'll use his extensive knowledge of fairy magic to fix his broken fairy magic (http://spanglefish.com/laurelbush/index.asp?pageid=281427) link on his crappy website? http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

Published writer on politics, especially in publications of North of Scotland NewspapersSo, writing endless letters to the Groat makes you a 'published writer' does it? There's more than a hint of narcissism afoot here.

So, what steps can Wick Community Council take to get rid of remove this odiously pungent fantasist from their committee? Or do they have to just put up with his insinuations and unfounded conspiracy theories?

Eilanboy
10-Feb-11, 16:14
After reading the last two threads and visited his website do the people who stated on the Org that what he says makes sense still agree.If they do maybe they also partake in the juice of the poppy or the leaves of a certain plant

Eilanboy
10-Feb-11, 16:19
There was an article in the local press a few weeks ago which stated that there was a shortage of people putting their names forward for the Community Council. If Mr Bush had the balls to put his name into the hat, whilst others sat about on their arses doing nothing, then he is more than due his place on the council.

This is the big difference between those who get up and try to do something, versus those who sit on their butts at a computer screen casting aspersions.
You have gone very quiet Scorrie.Still think he deserves his place on the CC?????????

Norseman
10-Feb-11, 16:23
Pretty good wasnt it!!??

It seems he has a serious hatred towards the Council though. It appears to go beyond any normal disagreement, to what I would class as insanity.

He seems to have an issue with any group or authority having read all his various rants on his web site he apears to have fallen out big time with the Caithness Mental Health Group and the NHS

chordie
10-Feb-11, 16:30
You have gone very quiet Scorrie.Still think he deserves his place on the CC?????????

Yer man may be as mad as a box of frogs, but Scorrie's point remains perfectly valid - if nobody else came forward to join the Community Council then the boy has every right to be there.

Maybe if some of the screaming reactionaries that came out of their box to get hot under the collar about classroom assistants had a broader more genuine concern about the town, then they could have joined the Community Council and done some good over the longer term.

rob murray
10-Feb-11, 16:34
Interesting to read the Councillors own website*
"And I am sure that without aid from a derivative of the juice of opium poppy, I am very unlikely to have developed this website, or to have made any impact on the life of society as a community councillor.."

"Pay rates for elected politicians, and of others in public office, should be linked to job seeker's allowance"

"To encourage active travel (walking and cycling), the default speed limit in urban areas should be reduced from 30 mph to 20 mph"

"Pints of beer in pubs should be in line-measure rather than brim-measure glasses,"

"There is no Liberty in Scotland,"

"Diagnoses subscribed by a medical professional on 14 January 2011 are considered defamatory gibberish..Self diagnosis: chronic mental fatigue, aggravated and complicated by professional mental-health treatment, but significantly relieved by side effects of dihydrocodeine tartrate prescribed for relief of age-related aches and pains"

Oh well we're all entitled to our opinions.. Having been involved in local politics, it can be quite 'interesting'..
* http://www.spanglefish.com/laurelbush/index.asp?pageid=248623

Aye, been on his web site, well written stuff there along with some slighty quirky views : below shows that the guy is sometimes on the money :

Wick High School concerns
For example, during recent Highland Council consultations about plans to replace Wick High School with a new school and to include, in the same development, replacements for a community library and a community swimming pool, there was practically no public discussion of concerns at Wick community council meetings
Instead, a Wick ward Highland councillor, Bill Fernie, who is also chair of the local authority's education, culture and sports (ECS) committee, took one meeting into private session, and was otherwise allowed to make statements while the community council chair, Coreen Campbell, expressed the view that 'we must wait and see'
There was some discussion at the meeting on 07 February, but this did not stem from any initiative from a stalwart of the community council, and was much too late to have any real chance of changing Highland Council plans

Even Chance
10-Feb-11, 16:48
He seems to have an issue with any group or authority having read all his various rants on his web site he apears to have fallen out big time with the Caithness Mental Health Group and the NHS

Aye, all e fowk that tried to tell him he wis nuts!!!

sweetpea
10-Feb-11, 17:45
Never too old! Maybe you could do your ECDL like Larel Bush?

rob murray
10-Feb-11, 17:51
Is Laurel Bush the guys real name, some one on here said he was from Thurso...was he called laurence Thompson when he lived in Thurso by chance, maybe completely wrong here though !

Cattach
10-Feb-11, 17:55

Read the posts as far as here and this is the most sensible so far. Putting what he did in the hat must have been painful and certainly more so that which some sat on!

bekisman
10-Feb-11, 18:10
The poor chap was mentioned an awful lot on an earlier thread, a number taking the p

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?50160-Whaligoe-Steps-on-Wikipedia&highlight=laurel+Bush

theone
10-Feb-11, 19:11

You're correct! I was confusing the councilllors being discussed with Highland councillors.

Like the man with orthopaedic insoles, I stand corrected.

lynne duncan
10-Feb-11, 23:00
I would hope that once Laurel Bush clears up his lack of understanding over the issues of transparency and accountability, that he will have time to contribute to the support of the community council.
I would be keen to see what he intends to bring to the table to benefit the community.
It is a shame that the issues he has, are causing the existing long serving members to become disenchanted as they put a hugh amount of personal time in to benefit the town.
I like the interest that has been raised by this post and also see that there are two places still open around the table so any interested persons that are out there should maybe contact the CC and provide some more support to ocntinue the good work which is done.
Again it is a shame that Laurel Bush seems to be intent in provoking such animosity but maybe or hopefully his list of requirements that he seeks answers for won't be that long and then he can start to work in partnership with the CC members and not in opposition

chordie
10-Feb-11, 23:09
It is a shame that the issues he has, are causing the existing long serving members to become disenchanted as they put a hugh amount of personal time in to benefit the town.
I like the interest that has been raised by this post and also see that there are two places still open around the table so any interested persons that are out there should maybe contact the CC and provide some more support to ocntinue the good work which is done.
Again it is a shame that Laurel Bush seems to be intent in provoking such animosity but maybe or hopefully his list of requirements that he seeks answers for won't be that long and then he can start to work in partnership with the CC members and not in opposition

How is it that the guy is getting so much air-time in any case - surely there must be about 10 others on the committee, so can't the Chair just have a show-of-hands on issues raised, vote him down by majority, and shove him back in his box, rather than people running screaming out of the Assembly Rooms in a blizzard of expletives ?

scorrie
10-Feb-11, 23:21
After reading the last two threads and visited his website do the people who stated on the Org that what he says makes sense still agree.If they do maybe they also partake in the juice of the poppy or the leaves of a certain plant

Mindless innuendo.

gleeber
11-Feb-11, 09:29
Laurel Bush has an interesting website and he explains his fears concerning community councils and lack of transparency. I dont know whether his fears are founded or unfounded but one things for sure. Unless he is challenged in a reasonable manner then there's going to be more reports of walkouts from community council meetings.
There's been a lot of derogatory stuff said about the loon but that's typical org bravado. Talking about someones personal hygene and condemning them for drawing benifits does nothing but illuminate the default systym of local gossips. His belief in fairy magic puts him in the same league as hundreds of others who have more respectable superstitious beliefs. Theres not many of you would snigger about the superstitious beliefs of the new minister in St Fergus yet I see no difference in their beliefs.
I find the story interesting and it's going to get more interesting.
It's a challenge to something very local and because of that there's a lot of misunderstaing going on.

scorrie
11-Feb-11, 12:27
How is it that the guy is getting so much air-time in any case - surely there must be about 10 others on the committee, so can't the Chair just have a show-of-hands on issues raised, vote him down by majority, and shove him back in his box, rather than people running screaming out of the Assembly Rooms in a blizzard of expletives ?

Exactly. He is only one member on a committee and there is a limit to the influence he holds. To listen to some people on here you would think he was President of the USA and had his finger on the button!!

scorrie
11-Feb-11, 12:37
Laurel Bush has an interesting website and he explains his fears concerning community councils and lack of transparency. I dont know whether his fears are founded or unfounded but one things for sure. Unless he is challenged in a reasonable manner then there's going to be more reports of walkouts from community council meetings.
There's been a lot of derogatory stuff said about the loon but that's typical org bravado. Talking about someones personal hygene and condemning them for drawing benifits does nothing but illuminate the default systym of local gossips. His belief in fairy magic puts him in the same league as hundreds of others who have more respectable superstitious beliefs. Theres not many of you would snigger about the superstitious beliefs of the new minister in St Fergus yet I see no difference in their beliefs.
I find the story interesting and it's going to get more interesting.
It's a challenge to something very local and because of that there's a lot of misunderstaing going on.

A very good post. People ridicule the notion of fairy magic yet show reverence to the belief in God(s) when there is no more scientific evidence for that "faith" than there is for any of the more exotic notions of the populace.

The wittering on about people's appearance/hygeine/dress sense and whether they should be allowed freedom of speech in the press and access to PUBLIC facilities simply shows the schoolboy/girl finger prodding and sniggering mentality of some orgers.

Metalattakk
11-Feb-11, 13:11
The wittering on about people's appearance/hygeine/dress sense and whether they should be allowed freedom of speech in the press and access to PUBLIC facilities simply shows the schoolboy/girl finger prodding and sniggering mentality of some orgers.

People in glass houses, and all that. . . :roll:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?50160-Whaligoe-Steps-on-Wikipedia&p=394375#post394375

scorrie
11-Feb-11, 14:57

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?50160-Whaligoe-Steps-on-Wikipedia&p=394375#post394375

Yes fair comment. Although at that time I knew little of the man and was replying to a comment made by another user regarding a wish for a sweeter smell.

Regardless, it does not affect his ability to serve on the Community Council.

Mr Bush actually lives in my street so I see him going about every now and then. His appearance will always hold him back as regards appealing to the public but he is within his rights to stand for election and if there is a lack of interest from the public, then it is they and not him to blame.

Many people have mental health issues but very few are willing to admit to it or discuss it because of the stigma. I would applaud the openness of someone willing to admit to the problem.

Mr Bush may be only there to fulfil his own ambition and/ or to rock the boat but we have to give him a chance at least to show his worth (if any). Having experienced the workings of the Highland Council in regards to the plans for the new High School, and through a two year employment tribunal process, I would share the concerns regarding transparency.

I'll let you get back to your loony/hippy/pungent ranting now ;)

scorrie
12-Feb-11, 02:00

I had a further consideration on this point you raised and in retrospect I see that you have gone back more than two and a half years to reference a post on a completely different subject, in order to try to prove some sort of point here.

The original post was about wikipedia. Bekisman made a comment that he wished that Laurel Bush's candle had a sweeter smell. I made a throwaway bit of advice concerning grid reference and soap, based on what had previously been mentioned on the thread. How you manage to take that and try to tie it in some way to a SEPARATE thread regarding Mr Bush's ability to serve on the community council is a mystery to me. TIME has moved on, my knowledge of Mr Bush has moved on and the topic of conversation has moved on. It seems most likely to me that the only thing that hasn't moved on is your penchant for running people down based on very little evidence. You routinely criticise the outlandish ideas of certain orgers yet refrain from attacking those with equally fanciful ideas but who happen to be ex page 3 models. Perhaps some orgers don't notice these things but I see your tongue hanging out like a little lap dog when certain crayon based users wax their magic on the org. I am willing to wager that you do not have the balls to say to people's face the supposed courageous comments you trot out on this forum. You are a paper tiger in my opinion. Roaring on the forum but a pussy in real life. The wager is there, pea balls or bigger?

Metalattakk
12-Feb-11, 02:49
I had a further consideration on this point you raised and in retrospect I see that you have gone back more than two and a half years to reference a post on a completely different subject, in order to try to prove some sort of point here.

The original post was about wikipedia. Bekisman made a comment that he wished that Laurel Bush's candle had a sweeter smell. I made a throwaway bit of advice concerning grid reference and soap, based on what had previously been mentioned on the thread. How you manage to take that and try to tie it in some way to a SEPARATE thread regarding Mr Bush's ability to serve on the community council is a mystery to me. TIME has moved on, my knowledge of Mr Bush has moved on and the topic of conversation has moved on. It seems most likely to me that the only thing that hasn't moved on is your penchant for running people down based on very little evidence. You routinely criticise the outlandish ideas of certain orgers yet refrain from attacking those with equally fanciful ideas but who happen to be ex page 3 models. Perhaps some orgers don't notice these things but I see your tongue hanging out like a little lap dog when certain crayon based users wax their magic on the org. I am willing to wager that you do not have the balls to say to people's face the supposed courageous comments you trot out on this forum. You are a paper tiger in my opinion. Roaring on the forum but a pussy in real life. The wager is there, pea balls or bigger?

Going out of your way to justify yourself there scorrie. You made a boo-boo, accept it. Move on. It's not as if it's important. Or maybe it is to you. . .

Metalattakk
12-Feb-11, 02:55
Perhaps some orgers don't notice these things but I see your tongue hanging out like a little lap dog when certain crayon based users wax their magic on the org.

Eh? Where? Go on big boy, show me the money.

Put up or shut up.

canadagirl
12-Feb-11, 03:05
My eyebrows have been going higher and higher reading this, so did a google for Laurel Bush, was very interesting reading! Must say his views on opium poppy derivatives and other medications are "different" (for someone in public life). :roll: Now I'm going to google the rest of the council- apparently they didn't have to be elected as such as there weren't enough candidates to fill the spaces? Is that still democracy?

bekisman
12-Feb-11, 11:08

Just had a quick look in on the Org and the Wick Community Council thread and was rather annoyed to see Scorrie totally misquoting me
I quote from his post (to Metalattakk) :
12th Feb. 01.00 "I had a further consideration on this point you raised and in retrospect I see that you have gone back more than two and a half years to reference a post on a completely different subject, in order to try to prove some sort of point here. The original post was about wikipedia. Bekisman made a comment that he wished that Laurel Bush's candle had a sweeter smell..."

Where the hell did I say that?

Just in case you did not take the bother of reading that thread at 01.00 this morning I had earlier posted this link: http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?50160-Whaligoe-Steps-on-Wikipedia&highlight=laurel+Bush

Might be boring but this is the sum of my postings on that particular thread in 2008:

5th June 08.18.24 Who is Laurel Bush? He's the bloke that gets into 'spoons early and does all the crosswords.. .

5th June 08. 19.06 Bit more info on Mr bush (did not do too well in the elections!) but why on earth should he keep deleting it on the grounds that 'Caithness.org is a commercial venture.' - so what? the steps are a very interesting and evocative place to visit http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4D7DD0AF-80F1-4EF7-80B1-6D8BCCE5AF66/0/Wick.pdf (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/4D7DD0AF-80F1-4EF7-80B1-6D8BCCE5AF66/0/Wick.pdf)

9 June 08. 07.48 Whaligoe Steps on Wikipedia.

9 JUN 08 08.34 Had some friends who are staying with us, do a trip to the steps yesterday, said they spoke to a local chap there who said that they had recently been damaged; yobs tipping stones down the steps. Our friends did say that some corner stones were missing?
RH: "No need for an entry if Caithness.org was allowed a link from the Caithness entry. Laurel Bush keeps deleting it on the grounds that Caithness.org is a commercial venture." Bearing this in mind seems rather hypocritical - if not downright strange, for Mr Bush to advertise his own (for 'monetary reward'?) services on arts.Caithness.org - does it not?
http://arts.caithness.org/group.php?id=73 (http://arts.caithness.org/group.php?id=73)

10 Jun 08 10.23 This 'Bush' chap on Wikipedia writes about himself: "The more he works on Wikipedia, the more the creator sees that is wrong with it, largely due to poor research, and the greater the personal work and expense involved in trying to put it right. He is beginning to feel, November 2007, that the flame may not be worth the candle." Goodness me what an egotistical thing to say - hopefully his 'candle' will be extinguished.. that PC he uses in Wick library must be red-hot.. The list of his musings are below, surely someone must know enough about these mostly Scottish-based entries (after all Bush is a Geordie - that's right, apart from being a failed politician, born as he tells us, at Crossley Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne) who can find deficiencies in his writings? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Laurel_Bush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Laurel_Bush) The A99 road, Arbuthnott Commission, Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, Crofters' Holdings (Scotland) Act 1886, Highland Potato Famine (1846 - 1857), Legalise Cannabis Alliance, Napier Commission, The Parliaments of England, Politics of the Highland Council area, Scottish Westminster constituencies, The Standing Stones of Caithness, Stone Lud, 1266 Treaty of Perth, United Kingdom Constituencies.. My, and he still finds time to delete an item on the Whaligoe Steps..

So Scorrie where did I (Quote): Bekisman made a comment that he wished that Laurel Bush's candle had a sweeter smell..."
My mention of candles was "hopefully his 'candle' will be extinguished" in hope of him giving up criticising/amending items unnecessary..

Get your facts right, might help

marwill
12-Feb-11, 22:00
Having just caught up with some of the posts of the last few days I find this one interesting.
This Laurel Bush has certainly created some impact in his 'new' venture into local politics. It seems he caused quite a stir in previous threads too. Although I believe from what has been written some has been read with the wrong interpretation, as with Bekisman's quote in 2008

Bekisman wrote:
10 Jun 08 10.23 This 'Bush' chap on Wikipedia writes about himself: "The more he works on Wikipedia, the more the creator sees that is wrong with it, largely due to poor research, and the greater the personal work and expense involved in trying to put it right. He is beginning to feel, November 2007, that the flame may not be worth the candle." Goodness me what an egotistical thing to say - hopefully his 'candle' will be extinguished.. that PC he uses in Wick library must be red-hot.. The list of his musings are below, surely someone must know enough about these mostly Scottish-based entries (after all Bush is a Geordie - that's right, apart from being a failed politician, born as he tells us, at Crossley Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne) who can find deficiencies in his writings?

Scorrie wrote:
The original post was about wikipedia. Bekisman made a comment that he wished that Laurel Bush's candle had a sweeter smell. I made a throwaway bit of advice concerning grid reference and soap, based on what had previously been mentioned on the thread

Well I cannot read in Bekisman's original anything about him wishing Bush's candle having a sweeter smell, I read it as he was hoping Bush's writing candle would extinguish.
I also find it interesting that Bush himself has used the almost the same words about the Council he has just joined, as the words used about him by Northener in 2008,

Northener quoted a post by Moira and here is what he wrote re Bush:
5 jun 2008 posted by Northener
Originally Posted by Moira [/URL]

Read all about him here George :- [U]http://www.caithness.org/fpb/electio...ncil/index.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=392416/lpost392416)
Just in case you miss it, it read :-
"Laurel Bush - Independent
Mr Bush has decided not to supply any information to us.
"Yup, that's the sort of guy you'd want in Government. He'll be all for openness and transparency in politics........

Well after all this reading, I wish Wick Community Council luck in their future meetings.;)

AfternoonDelight
13-Feb-11, 22:59
Ok, let's get a couple of things cleared up here -

For the person who is going to google members of the council, you won't get far because we are talking about the Community Council, two separate organisations.

I do agree with Laurel Bush on one thing and because of this there will be a Wick Community Council website up and running before the next meeting, which is indeed on the 7th of March at 7pm in the Assembly Rooms.

Members of the public are very welcome to attend, although I fear that from past requests made for members to come forward for various sub-groups and even the Community Council itself, most people would prefer to set the world to rights from the safety and annonimity of their PC rather than drag their arses out on a cold Monday night to a meeting.

Even so, let it be put on record, that minutes and agendas are available in the Wick Public Library, the date of the next meeting will be publicised by North of Scotland Newspapers in future and all the information the public will need, including a page for comments to be put forward at each meeting, will be available on the new website.

All the minutes of meetings for the sub-groups, financial accounts, members details and news stories will be easily accessible to anyone who cares to look. I cannot see how we can be more transparent than this, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please PM me.

Thanks.

bekisman
17-Jun-11, 15:32
See Laurel did not last long..
'Controversial Wick community councillor Laurel Bush has quit his post – branding the group a “corruption of democracy”.
Citing alleged differences between government legislation and how the community council is currently being run, he called the current set-up a “sham” and wrote about being in two minds as to whether to join in the first place.
“Since then I have discovered that, even for council members, there is no real transparency or accountability in the way the Wick council conducts its business and, therefore, I no longer want the association with council decisions which is implied by council membership,” he said.
Mr Bush also called for root-and-branch reform of the system and said he plans to boycott future community council elections and will not take part in elections either as a candidate or a voter. He urged others to do the same.
.... More:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Bush-quits-council-post-15062011.htm (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Bush-quits-council-post-15062011.htm)

Walter Ego
17-Jun-11, 21:23
See Laurel did not last long..
'Controversial Wick community councillor Laurel Bush has quit his post – branding the group a “corruption of democracy”.
Citing alleged differences between government legislation and how the community council is currently being run, he called the current set-up a “sham” and wrote about being in two minds as to whether to join in the first place.
“Since then I have discovered that, even for council members, there is no real transparency or accountability in the way the Wick council conducts its business and, therefore, I no longer want the association with council decisions which is implied by council membership,” he said.
Mr Bush also called for root-and-branch reform of the system and said he plans to boycott future community council elections and will not take part in elections either as a candidate or a voter. He urged others to do the same.
.... More:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Bush-quits-council-post-15062011.htm (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Bush-quits-council-post-15062011.htm)

So, set yourself up as a warrior for truth and democracy and then off with your tail between your legs when everyone else refuses to immediately roll over and see things your way.

Pathetic.