PDA

View Full Version : Wick xmas tree lights

Garrincha1982
15-Dec-10, 12:44
I wish thay would put the Wick xmas tree lights around the tree and not up and down it looks crap.

Even Chance
15-Dec-10, 15:01
Why don't you volunteer to join the group and do it yourself? They are all volunteers, who do a great job off their own backs. Would you prefer it if there was no lights at all???
Looks good to me, and the bairn was delighted to see it.

Eilanboy
15-Dec-10, 15:11
Some people will complain about the smalleast things.Maybe tere is a good reason for hanging them the way they are.[evil]

Cattach
15-Dec-10, 15:12
I wish thay would put the Wick xmas tree lights around the tree and not up and down it looks crap.

I think there are 'technical' reasons for doing it that way or a realiuvely large tree. However, it is a pity whatever way it is done to have people cricising when volunteers are giving of their own time and trying their best. Despite the efforts of such people we still seem to have so many negative citizens around who are quick to complain but not so quick to help.
Well done to those who put the effort in and thanks.

DeHaviLand
15-Dec-10, 15:37
Im under the impression the tree is erected by the council, not by the volunteers who see to the other christmas lights.:confused

Garrincha1982
15-Dec-10, 15:47
I wouldnt volunteer because you dont get payed for it. Maybe if they got payed for it they would have done a better job.

Corrie 3
15-Dec-10, 15:56
I wouldnt volunteer because you dont get payed for it. Maybe if they got payed for it they would have done a better job.
I just love folk who wont put anything into their community without being paid for it!!!
Never mind !!...

C3.....:roll:

DeHaviLand
15-Dec-10, 16:03
Garrincha1982, you are a troll and I claim my £5 :roll:

Garrincha1982
15-Dec-10, 16:09
Who's that trip trapping over my bridge?

Garrincha1982
15-Dec-10, 16:50
Well I was told that the council did the tree.

Rourkee
15-Dec-10, 22:17
Well I was told that the council did the tree.

That is correct as I watched them do it. The tree in Thurso is done exactly the same way so I assume they did it too.

Blarney
15-Dec-10, 23:30
I wondered what had happened this year to the lovely canopy of lights in the Market Square? It was quite spectacular and the square looks quite dismal without it. BTW I agree with the OP about the vertical lights on the tree. The council workers weren't hired for their artistic ability:lol:

scorrie
16-Dec-10, 00:14

Paid Volunteers? What next? Unpaid Contract Killers? ;)

Garrincha1982
16-Dec-10, 09:45
Yaeh the canopy of lights did look good in the Market Square. What happened to them? So the Thurso tree is the same is it, well lek I was saying to someone the other day my 5 year old boy knew that the lights went around the tree when we did ours the other week. Maybe il get him to volunteer next year or maybe the council will give him a job.

999deka
16-Dec-10, 09:52
Mmm some say its the council some say its volunteers!!! Who is right? theres only one way to find out ----- FIGHT!!!!!!

Garrincha1982
16-Dec-10, 15:07
I know how we can find out for sure who did the tree. We can ask Even Chance if he was flying his unmanned vehicle over the Market Square the day the tree was put up maybe he has some aerial pictures of the event.

Kirdon
16-Dec-10, 22:45
I wondered what had happened this year to the lovely canopy of lights in the Market Square? It was quite spectacular and the square looks quite dismal without it. BTW I agree with the OP about the vertical lights on the tree. The council workers weren't hired for their artistic ability:lol:

Got this from a man who knows a man that the canopy was beyond economical repair and the comitee did not know what was happening to the renovations to the council buildings and therefore could not get another one in case it didn't fit, so they are still waiting. also this is FACT! the council do the tree and the "unpaid" volunteers do the rest. Anybody knocking the council staff should remember how much work each of these trees take, they are a wee bit bigger than a house tree and its not just a case of 60 bulbs wrapped around a 5 foot tree. But I agree the lights wrapped around would have looked better.
BTW like the Santa beside the town hall.

Blarney
17-Dec-10, 00:15
I'll have to open my eyes because I never noticed Santa!
The council do all the lights over the street too I think and they are cracking. The lights committee are responsible for the round lights on all the lamp posts.

Rourkee
18-Dec-10, 21:37
I'll have to open my eyes because I never noticed Santa!
The council do all the lights over the street too I think and they are cracking. The lights committee are responsible for the round lights on all the lamp posts.

WRONG. The lights committee are responsible for ALL the Christmas lights.

LENSMAN
18-Dec-10, 22:27
I think you'll find the council put them up but the Christmas lights comitee pay them to do it,and it isn't cheap.
All the lights are paid for by public donations and fund raising.
The lights over the street are sort of hired, the lampost ones are maintained by vounteers.
They are all erected and removed by the same volunteers that maintain them, all unpaid and glad to do it.

Blarney
19-Dec-10, 02:39
WRONG. The lights committee are responsible for ALL the Christmas lights.

I stand corrected.

I think you'll find the council put them up but the Christmas lights comitee pay them to do it,and it isn't cheap.
All the lights are paid for by public donations and fund raising.
The lights over the street are sort of hired, the lampost ones are maintained by vounteers.
They are all erected and removed by the same volunteers that maintain them, all unpaid and glad to do it.

I assumed that the council was responsible when I saw them putting them up.
Whoever,whatever, they deserve a pat on the back for their hard work. I'm glad that some folk are still community minded.

Kirdon
19-Dec-10, 17:41
I stand corrected.

I assumed that the council was responsible when I saw them putting them up.
Whoever,whatever, they deserve a pat on the back for their hard work. I'm glad that some folk are still community minded.

Sorry but lensman is also wrong, the only lights the council put up in Wick are the ones on the tree, every other christmas lights be they on the lamposts or banners over the street are erected by the volunteers, and well done and thanks to them.

LENSMAN
19-Dec-10, 19:11
I didn't say that the council didn't put them up, I said that the Xmas lights comittee pay the council to do it.