PDA

View Full Version : Final update fr the 'Thursday Deluge' lol

Tugmistress
14-Dec-10, 22:03
ok this is the final update for the 'deluge' i am expecting on thursday, sorry if this gets a bit long winded and out of context, but that's the way my brain sometimes works lol

the 2 pictures below show you how, in JUST 6 HOURS, the cold air comes in over us.
As i'm sure you all know, we have often heard on the TV forecasts that when cold air suddenly comes in over warm air that is creates lots of rain etc, well, i reckon the same thing will occur on thursday morning but creating snow not rain! maybe a bit of thunder and lightning too :D it's definitely looking reasonably windy, maybe gusting 45 - 50mph in the more exposed places (to the north that is) so quite possibly blizzards and white out conditions.
with the cold coming in so quick after some rain on wednesday, even if the gritters are out on wednesday evening/night then what they lay down will be pretty useless when the quick freeze comes in on top of it, so please watch out for black ice etc and driving conditions are going to be extremely hazardous.

i can't tell you where and when to drive and not drive, but please think about how competent you feel and how you would feel if someone not so good in adverse weather were hurtling at you out of control. BE SAFE EVERYONE.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1163.snc4/150562_471903593143_300395478143_5860733_7240979_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1216.snc4/156891_471903938143_300395478143_5860736_4199490_n .jpg

Kodiak
14-Dec-10, 22:12
Not looking good at all Tugs, :eek:. How long to you think this cold spell will last?

Corrie 3
14-Dec-10, 22:20
Thanks Tugs, you are a Gem..

C3...;)

Tugmistress
14-Dec-10, 22:22
i think it'll certainly be a week, maybe more, but when it 'wams up' on saturday that's roughly how it will stay with varying snow showers for the 3 days after i can see.

it all depends on the jet stream, and that's something that i just look at once in a while, but it 'usually' takes about a fortnight to change in any direction to change weather by any noticeable degree.

changilass
14-Dec-10, 22:24
Oooops, supposed to be going to Inverness to collect my Beardies fron=m the courier on saturday, looks like I may have to wait a while.

candycanegirl
14-Dec-10, 22:50
What time do you reckon this will all start? will it be thursday day or wednesday night/ early thurs (as in do you think schools will shut or will it be after we've packed them off to school?)
Cheers:)

Tugmistress
14-Dec-10, 22:53
it'll start between midnight and 6am i reckon, i think we'll all wake up to at least white falling if not already laying.

ShelleyCowie
14-Dec-10, 22:54
oh well aint that great! There is 1 day before Christmas i can get down the street child free to finish my christmas presents.....guess what day that is!!! :mad:

If anyone sees a balloon shaped thing lying on the ground cursing and swearing, thats me! gimme a kick and send me home! :lol:

dragonfly
14-Dec-10, 23:07
thanks tugs, got to collect daughter from inverness on friday so will just have to take care.....and a shovel......and a blanket.........and a thermos of soup!

kas
14-Dec-10, 23:31
Great work Tuggs. The radars will be getting plenty hits tomorrow evening into Thursday morning. Quite a temp plunge in a very short time too, so I imagine your own site will see plenty hits over the next week. :):)

Moira
15-Dec-10, 00:52
Many thanks once more Tuggs. I'll be staying close to base over the next few days.

You consistently produce the most accurate weather forecasts I've seen which is a Godsend to those of us who have to travel around Caithness and beyond in connection with our work. :D

adi1
15-Dec-10, 08:07
Is it not true to say the eastern part of the County will get the "Lions Share" of the snow whilst in Thurso snow fall will not be as bad as the last recent fall?

garycs
15-Dec-10, 09:47
Thurso is in line to take the brunt of the snow showers from Thursday morning through to Saturday morning so is likely to get more snow than the east of the county which tends to be sheltered by Orkney from a northerly wind.

The east of the county could get more snow from Sunday/Monday onwards if the wind goes round to the northeast or east.

lindsaymcc
15-Dec-10, 09:55
Really hoping the schools are open Thursday and Friday as my girls have been practising like crazy for their christmas shows that happen on these days.... I will have 2 very upset little girls if its all off!

bekisman
15-Dec-10, 11:09
Hi Tugs
Just watched BBC weather on Sky and it shows a lot less snow coming in? (I've no faith in these forecasters, I only learnt a few years ago they get paid!)

billmoseley
15-Dec-10, 15:32
so not shorts and t shirt weather then? [lol]

Tugmistress
15-Dec-10, 21:16
Hi Tugs
Just watched BBC weather on Sky and it shows a lot less snow coming in? (I've no faith in these forecasters, I only learnt a few years ago they get paid!)

I don't trust them either, but they allegedly know more than i do :Razz

Thurso is in line to take the brunt of the snow showers from Thursday morning through to Saturday morning so is likely to get more snow than the east of the county which tends to be sheltered by Orkney from a northerly wind.

The east of the county could get more snow from Sunday/Monday onwards if the wind goes round to the northeast or east.

My thoughts exactly gary, thank you

so not shorts and t shirt weather then? [lol]

errr, not for a few days yet lol

porshiepoo
15-Dec-10, 22:09
Do you think we're talking about as much snow as last time Tugs? As disruptive.
I really hope my mum manages to get into Wick airport on Monday :(

Tugmistress
15-Dec-10, 22:25
i think even if there isn't as much snow, we are in for an initial serious disruption due to the wind with it this time, so though it may not lay thick on the ground driving etc will be extremely hazardous, but it does ease off over the weekend so hope your mum gets up

Dadie
15-Dec-10, 22:37
I hope its not too bad...Im being selfish thinking about my one night out...
Its not the outfit or the fact its a night out...its the babysitters..as much as I love my Mum and Dad..I want them to get home..or I will want the kids back if at theirs!....
And the battle round the road with the buggy to nursery and back with all three kids...with the wind in my face as well..thats a thought as well!

chaz
15-Dec-10, 22:54
Thank you tuggs, looking forward to getting stuck again:lol: stocked up now xx

gleeber
15-Dec-10, 23:03
the 2 pictures below show you how, in JUST 6 HOURS, the cold air comes in over us.

I'm beginning to feel a bit like one of those animals that runs for protection just before some natural phenomenon is about to happen. [lol]
Ive watched the weather closely all my life, my living depended on it, and in the past few years the ability to forecast ahead is pretty good. 6 days is about the tant though.
Ive just walked up the road and its still mild although its very wet and the winds getting up.
It's clever knowing how fast the front will move over. I can hardly believe it'll change so fast.

kas
15-Dec-10, 23:17
Mainland Shetland dropped six degrees in one hour this evening and are now experiencing moderate snow.

Tugmistress
15-Dec-10, 23:25
I'm beginning to feel a bit like one of those animals that runs for protection just before some natural phenomenon is about to happen. [lol]
Ive watched the weather closely all my life, my living depended on it, and in the past few years the ability to forecast ahead is pretty good. 6 days is about the tant though.

you can help me do a forecast or two then when something is heading our way ;)

gleeber
15-Dec-10, 23:30
you can help me do a forecast or two then when something is heading our way ;)
Well I get most of my information from the telly and just recently from yourself. I have no idea how you lot interpret the data you recive.
Years ago, before all this modern wizardry, I used to phone the weatherman in Orkney if I was doing something that needed at at least 12 hours drying and ask his opinion. Very often he would tell me almost to the hour when any rain might appear.

Tugmistress
15-Dec-10, 23:33
it's quite easy when you get your head round a little data instead of trying to see the whole lot as one :)

as an aside, just heard on telly that Scotrail have already cancelled all the trains up here tomorrow!

ShelleyCowie
15-Dec-10, 23:35
I learned a bit from you before tugs, you done threads on it. found it all really interesting! I kinda know what im looking at now when you put the charts up. They aint just pretty colours anymore! [lol]

Tugmistress
15-Dec-10, 23:38
I learned a bit from you before tugs, you done threads on it. found it all really interesting! I kinda know what im looking at now when you put the charts up. They aint just pretty colours anymore! [lol]

lol glad you learnt a bit, the colours help too :) i just look at one thing at a time, be it wind speed, temperature or whether it'll rain/snow or sun :)

adi1
15-Dec-10, 23:47
Wow Tuggs the wind is getting up in Halkirk 110 mph lol

Tugmistress
15-Dec-10, 23:48
lol yeah i think the guy in halkirk with the station is having some problems - it's something i can't fix from here!

Fran
16-Dec-10, 19:16
Hope it clears up for tuesday as i hAVE TO PICK UP MY MOTHER AT rAIGMORE AT 1PM AND BRING HER TO WICK. Hope the roads will be ok gggrrr