PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism

veekay
14-Dec-10, 11:19
Is it just me or has there really been a lot more vandalism in Thurso recently? I have noticed shop windows smashed etc. I thought there were cameras about and that all this behavior was go to be stopped.

Mr P Cannop
14-Dec-10, 11:50
Is it just me or has there really been a lot more vandalism in Thurso recently? I have noticed shop windows smashed etc. I thought there were cameras about and that all this behavior was go to be stopped.

aye i agree with this this has to stop

Logical
14-Dec-10, 12:52
Its time for revolution!

upolian
14-Dec-10, 13:20
It will never stop,to many disrespectful little twats walking around as if they own the place.

Logical
14-Dec-10, 13:26
That's the spirit. You cant blame them, society made them that way!

upolian
14-Dec-10, 13:38
People choose to vandalise,nobody is forcing them.....

billmoseley
14-Dec-10, 14:19
they have to be taught right from wrong at home in the first place. read into that what you will.

Doreen
14-Dec-10, 16:22
they have to be taught right from wrong at home in the first place. read into that what you will.Even though surlely they know its wrong to go about smashing windows and damaging peoples property then when they get caught slapped wrists and dont do that again do they care a good kick up the backside there is no punishment nowadays and so little respect and no i dont mean all kids of today.

cherokee
14-Dec-10, 17:39
Completely agree with you there, Doreen !!

A good "skelp aroond their lugs" or a "kick up their backsides" !!!

Too much "nicey, nicey" has done so much more harm than good in these current climates of sheer and utter wanton vandalism !!! :(

Logical
14-Dec-10, 18:24
The TV they watch the music the listen to all of it affects them.
Its all centred on rebelling against authority, making a statement.
All programs aimed at the teenage market are full of the same stuff.

A touch of capital punishment will set them right.

Chrisf1961
14-Dec-10, 18:26
Here here logical ....like i got when i stepped out of line at home many years ago... a crack round the back of the head .

John Little
14-Dec-10, 20:27
The TV they watch the music the listen to all of it affects them.
Its all centred on rebelling against authority, making a statement.
All programs aimed at the teenage market are full of the same stuff.

A touch of capital punishment will set them right.

LOL. I can see where you are coming from but that's a wee bit extreme. A gibbet in Sir George's square floated into my head....

golach
14-Dec-10, 20:32
LOL. I can see where you are coming from but that's a wee bit extreme. A gibbet in Sir George's square floated into my head....

Sorry I too think a gibbet would be extreme, but a couple of sets of Stocks would be my choice, and a Ducking stool for the witches and loose wimen in the carpark at Riverside [lol]

Tristan
14-Dec-10, 23:53
That's the spirit. You cant blame them, society made them that way!

Nope parents!

badger
15-Dec-10, 13:23
Watching a child in Thurso yesterday doing exactly what she wanted in a shop while the 2 women in charge of her took no notice, couldn't help thinking that's where it all starts. One shopkeeper told me later it's a nightmare as she doesn't like to say anything but knows that the children who play with everything in her shop could hurt themselves and she might get the blame.

When did it become acceptable for children to use shops as playgrounds where they can play with anything, take stuff of shelves, damage things and parents/carers do nothing? Is this how vandals are made? What is it with the adults "in charge" - are they scared of their own children, can they not be bothered or do they really think it's Ok?

Torvaig
15-Dec-10, 15:29
Sorry I too think a gibbet would be extreme, but a couple of sets of Stocks would be my choice, and a Ducking stool for the witches and loose wimen in the carpark at Riverside [lol]

And just how do you know there are loose wimen in the carpark at Riverside? :lol:

billmoseley
15-Dec-10, 15:40
i'm sure loose women is on tv but in the interests of this forum i will nip down and check the car park [lol]

mums angels
15-Dec-10, 16:36
Watching a child in Thurso yesterday doing exactly what she wanted in a shop while the 2 women in charge of her took no notice, couldn't help thinking that's where it all starts. One shopkeeper told me later it's a nightmare as she doesn't like to say anything but knows that the children who play with everything in her shop could hurt themselves and she might get the blame.

When did it become acceptable for children to use shops as playgrounds where they can play with anything, take stuff of shelves, damage things and parents/carers do nothing? Is this how vandals are made? What is it with the adults "in charge" - are they scared of their own children, can they not be bothered or do they really think it's Ok?

I'd like you to show me any parent today that hasn't had a child touch something they shouldn't or misbehave or wander off in a shop even if its only once ! and its not that parents are scared of their own children its more likely that parents are so concerned that if they were to discpline their child in public they are more than likley to be reported for it ! Maybe the child you saw was having an off day - i see parents with children taking tantrums or misbehaving all the time and i wouldn't go as far as judging the child or the parents based on a one off occasion that i had happened to witness ! I have 4 kids and at one time or another they have all "embarrassed" me whilst out and about or misbehaved and i would be appalled to have thought that people could be so narrow minded to think that it would mean i was an "uncaring" parent or that my child was going to become a vadal because i didnt "deal" with it in the way that other people may think i should .

I was out in town yesterday and for example I was out for lunch with my son who has hearing difficulties that we are currently waiting to be addressed properly which makes him much louder than he needs to be , he doesnt always respond to a request because he doesn't always hear it so often may come accross as being disobedient . I am used to people giving us dissaproving looks and its not pleasant but sadly some people just judge before they know the facts .

golach
15-Dec-10, 16:50
And just how do you know there are loose wimen in the carpark at Riverside? :lol:

If you were born in Thrusa, its a well known fact lol, but I intended Riverside car park to be the location of the Ducking Stool, so I could sit in 'e Legion and jeer at miscreants going to get punished [lol]

badger
15-Dec-10, 17:28
I'd like you to show me any parent today that hasn't had a child touch something they shouldn't or misbehave or wander off in a shop even if its only once ! and its not that parents are scared of their own children its more likely that parents are so concerned that if they were to discpline their child in public they are more than likley to be reported for it ! Maybe the child you saw was having an off day - i see parents with children taking tantrums or misbehaving all the time and i wouldn't go as far as judging the child or the parents based on a one off occasion that i had happened to witness ! I have 4 kids and at one time or another they have all "embarrassed" me whilst out and about or misbehaved and i would be appalled to have thought that people could be so narrow minded to think that it would mean i was an "uncaring" parent or that my child was going to become a vadal because i didnt "deal" with it in the way that other people may think i should .

I was out in town yesterday and for example I was out for lunch with my son who has hearing difficulties that we are currently waiting to be addressed properly which makes him much louder than he needs to be , he doesnt always respond to a request because he doesn't always hear it so often may come accross as being disobedient . I am used to people giving us dissaproving looks and its not pleasant but sadly some people just judge before they know the facts .

Like all mothers I have been embarrassed by tantrums but I would never have stood by watching while my children pulled stuff off shelves or out of window displays and played endlessly with equipment which they should not be touching which was the case I mentioned. Two women ignoring one child which could easily have been causing damage. What is a shopkeeper to do if a child is playing with something potentially dangerous and parents take no notice?

How could you think I'm talking about a noisy child or a child touching something once when it's obvious I mean continual misbehaviour which is being ignored? Why should shops have to put up with their displays and goods being damaged? If children don't learn to respect other people's property when they are young it's hardly surprising they turn into vandals later.

mums angels
15-Dec-10, 17:50
Like all mothers I have been embarrassed by tantrums but I would never have stood by watching while my children pulled stuff off shelves or out of window displays and played endlessly with equipment which they should not be touching which was the case I mentioned. Two women ignoring one child which could easily have been causing damage. What is a shopkeeper to do if a child is playing with something potentially dangerous and parents take no notice?

How could you think I'm talking about a noisy child or a child touching something once when it's obvious I mean continual misbehaviour which is being ignored? Why should shops have to put up with their displays and goods being damaged? If children don't learn to respect other people's property when they are young it's hardly surprising they turn into vandals later.

I was in no way suggesting you were talking about a noisy child i was just trying to say that children can be naughty and in public circumstances alot of parents arn't sure how to react and in some cases ignoring the child is the best option ( obvioulsy not if they are likley to cause damage or injury which i didnt think was clear thats what you meant from your original post but then its been a long day LOL) - if that were my child i would try my best to do something about it but would still be careful of how i dealt with it as people are quick to jump on you if you restrain a child or give them a wee smack so like you i woulndt have ignored it either .

I agree children do need to learn respect for other peoples property and i am not saying that shopkeepers should put up with it but if they dont speak up about it when a child is misbehaving and the parent are not aware or is ignoring the child then they cant be that concerned in the first place. i have yet to meet a shop keeper that wouldnt speak up to a child if they were doing something they shouldn't . If a friend of mines child was in my house touching something they shouldnt or misbehaving and the parents wern't going to say anything i certainly would .

Doreen
15-Dec-10, 18:00

How could you think I'm talking about a noisy child or a child touching something once when it's obvious I mean continual misbehaviour which is being ignored? Why should shops have to put up with their displays and goods being damaged? If children don't learn to respect other people's property when they are young it's hardly surprising they turn into vandals later.Totally agree with your comment

Torvaig
16-Dec-10, 01:07
If you were born in Thrusa, its a well known fact lol, but I intended Riverside car park to be the location of the Ducking Stool, so I could sit in 'e Legion and jeer at miscreants going to get punished [lol]

Ah, I understand now! ;)

squidge
16-Dec-10, 09:12
Here we go again. Children and young people are the scourge of the devil if you read this board. Children are ALL our responsibility, if they misbehave in your shop then say something. "don't touch that sweetheart you might hurt yourself" would work. "where is your mummy" followed by "I'm worried he might hurt himself" to mum usually does the trick. It's not THAT difficult to manage and it usually works.

In this day and age many mums are isolated and struggling and actually parents learn to be parents from their own mum and dad so all you oldies that are complaining may very well be partly to blame for the lack of parenting skills you complain about.

Here we go.... The vast majority of you g people are good, polite, well behaved and likeable. Couldn't we have a thread about that for a change?

Gronnuck
16-Dec-10, 09:51
In this day and age many mums are isolated and struggling and actually parents learn to be parents from their own mum and dad so all you oldies that are complaining may very well be partly to blame for the lack of parenting skills you complain about.
.....But families are much more dispersed nowadays so young Mums don't get the support their Mums might have had from the extended family.
The tone of the initial post infers that vandalism in Thurso is caused by feckless 'yoof'; I wonder how anyone can know that. I've witnessed some quite appalling behaviour by adults who should know better,:confused.

veekay
16-Dec-10, 11:32
I apologies if the 'tone of the original post' gave the impression that it was a dig at reckless yoof, it wasn't meant as such. We were all young and reckless once and I am sure it is alcohol that is by far the biggest cause of the recklessness than youth. What I was trying to ask was what has happened to the cameras paid for in part I believe by local shops and that were supposed to be there to prevent such behavior.
I have hated the camera idea from the very start 'big brother' by stealth but if we are going to have to have them at least lets get them working.

ducati
16-Dec-10, 11:49
Here we go again. Children and young people are the scourge of the devil if you read this board. Children are ALL our responsibility, if they misbehave in your shop then say something. "don't touch that sweetheart you might hurt yourself" would work. "where is your mummy" followed by "I'm worried he might hurt himself" to mum usually does the trick. It's not THAT difficult to manage and it usually works.

Here we go.... The vast majority of you g people are good, polite, well behaved and likeable. Couldn't we have a thread about that for a change?

I have once in my life, mentioned a childs behavour to a mother. I was subjected to such a tirade of abuse that I would never, ever, do it again :eek:

badger
16-Dec-10, 16:56
I have once in my life, mentioned a childs behavour to a mother. I was subjected to such a tirade of abuse that I would never, ever, do it again :eek:

Quite - that's why I don't say anything. I did once to a child whose parents were not in sight, although he was too young to be alone in a big store, and he just looked at me and carried on. But if parents are around - sorry, no.

golach
16-Dec-10, 17:24
Here Squidge goes again........we know most of the Caithness Bairnies and their parents are good, polite and kind, we can read that on the Pets forum where the found pets are, and on other forums, with lost keys, mobile phones etc are returned to grateful owners........But Squidge, there are feral teenagers out there, with no thought or respect for anyone or anything, they are the ones hanging around street corners, and intimidating senior citizens into going into shops to buy them cheap booze, cigarettes ect. Then after getting the said drink, go out and cause mayhem, this is common in urban areas, but I am not saying that its just the teenies, the wee angels cannot be blamed for it all, the slightly older generation are just as guilty, how does a mother tell a hulking great drunk 20+ to be a little sweetheart, and do not kick over that wheelie bin.
Squidge I know you are the champion of the teenagers, but they ain't all perfect!!!!!

Phoebus_Apollo
16-Dec-10, 17:42
Does anyone actually monitor these cameras or are they purely a sine qua non for our modern society??

trix
16-Dec-10, 18:45
a Ducking stool for the witches

at's a bit much...[evil]