PDA

View Full Version : Trogan Warning

ducati
13-Dec-10, 07:35
Recently cleaned up my PC and in the course of this found a Trogan attached to AVG PC Tuneup free download so if you have installed it recently check it.

AVG antivirus didn't detect it so you will need to use summink else.

bekisman
13-Dec-10, 09:28
Recently cleaned up my PC and in the course of this found a Trogan attached to AVG PC Tuneup free download so if you have installed it recently check it.

AVG antivirus didn't detect it so you will need to use summink else.
Got jarred off with AVG, so been using Avast! - free as well..;)

speedo215
13-Dec-10, 18:58
if you find trojans use malware bytes, i had the same problems with a few files and malware bytes cleared it up

ducati
13-Dec-10, 19:02
Cheers Speedy :cool:

mums angels
13-Dec-10, 19:23
After a similar problem once where AVG failed to detect anything i then installed microsoft security essentials and touch wood so far its picked up similar suspicious bugs with no problems .

Corrie 3
13-Dec-10, 19:29
AVG = Rubbish...get rid and get something decent!!

C3....:roll:

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-10, 19:33

Would you like to recommend any particular anti virus?
I've yet to find one that hasnt let something get through at some stage or other with the exception of Avast Pro
which hasnt let me down...yet.

Corrie 3
13-Dec-10, 19:36
Like what?
You cant go wrong with Kaspersky or Norton...of course it doesnt come free like AVG.

C3....;)

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-10, 19:55
You cant go wrong with Kaspersky or Norton...of course it doesnt come free like AVG.

C3....;)

Norton was the cause of my biggest virus disaster,resulting in a totally corrupt operating system ,and have read of a quite a few similar stories.That said there are plenty of satisfied Norton users too.
I certainly wouldnt rely on free anti-virus though. You get what you pay for.

billmoseley
13-Dec-10, 20:11
avg has always done me proud it's like everything use it properly and it works fine

Mystical Potato Head
13-Dec-10, 20:51
avg has always done me proud it's like everything use it properly and it works fine

The big problem AVG had a couple of years ago was corrupt virus updates,not everyone had the problem,it just seemed random,one update would be ok,the next one wasnt.
AVG would even tell you the latest update could not be downloaded,or was not successfully downloaded, so even people who were downloading their updates properly were finding it certainly did not work fine.

Vistravi
13-Dec-10, 21:52

I disagree;)

Avg free is rubbish. Avg full edition brilliant.

I used avg free with another program for a better firewall and it was rubbish. Now i only use avg full edition and never a problem. Keeps all the bugs out.

Now for a truly rubbish program macafee is the worst! It puts so much rubbish into your system as updates that it makes your system run incredibly slow.

A family member was using it untill recently and her system was clogged up with macafee updates. It truly acts like a virius in itself. My new laptop came with the option of having it on the system but the first thing i did once i had set the laptop up and running was get rid of macafee and install avg full edition in.

ducati
13-Dec-10, 22:04
My problems started when I downloaded the 30 day trial of the full AVG 2011 version. It virtually stopped the PC. I then downloaded AVG PC Tuneup to see if it would improve it and that's when I got the Trogan.

The original version of AVG Free was fine (as far as I know).

Vistravi
13-Dec-10, 22:19
My problems started when I downloaded the 30 day trial of the full AVG 2011 version. It virtually stopped the PC. I then downloaded AVG PC Tuneup to see if it would improve it and that's when I got the Trogan.

The original version of AVG Free was fine (as far as I know).

What is your windows operator? I am on windows 7 and it has been fine for this laptop and the one before it when i had it on windows 7.

My partner tried the avg pc tuneup and was going to download it when i told him not to. On a perfectly brand new system it was telling me everything was wrong and if i downloaded it the problems would be fixed. Naw don't think so.

ducati
13-Dec-10, 23:04
What is your windows operator? I am on windows 7 and it has been fine for this laptop and the one before it when i had it on windows 7.

My partner tried the avg pc tuneup and was going to download it when i told him not to. On a perfectly brand new system it was telling me everything was wrong and if i downloaded it the problems would be fixed. Naw don't think so.

Yep sounds pretty dodgy. I'm on XP.....

Vistravi
14-Dec-10, 12:22
Yep sounds pretty dodgy. I'm on XP.....

Ah that explains it. XP uses more memory than windows 7 does in fact windows 7 uses half of what XP uses. As the trail version of avg full edition is bigger than the free edition perhaps the extra memory needed for the prgram was too much for your pc.

upolian
14-Dec-10, 12:52
Windows defender and cc cleaner here,never had a virus since i got rid of AVG

Metalattakk
14-Dec-10, 13:31
Windows defender and cc cleaner here,never had a virus since i got rid of AVG

Anti-spyware ≠ Anti-virus. Get a proper anti-virus program ASAP.

AVG, Avast or Microsoft SE all do free versions, it doesn't matter which you choose. Any anti-virus is better than none at all.

upolian
14-Dec-10, 13:43
Anti-spyware ≠ Anti-virus. Get a proper anti-virus program ASAP.

AVG, Avast or Microsoft SE all do free versions, it doesn't matter which you choose. Any anti-virus is better than none at all.

What would you suggest......they all seem to be hyped up and do more harm than good,my computer has been like this for a year with no problem[lol]

Metalattakk
14-Dec-10, 13:55
What would you suggest......they all seem to be hyped up and do more harm than good,my computer has been like this for a year with no problem[lol]

How would you know you have no problems? You could be part of a world wide botnet and you wouldn't even be aware of it because you have no anti-virus running.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

Since you're already running Windows Defender I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. But it doesn't really matter which one you use.

upolian
14-Dec-10, 13:58
How would you know you have no problems? You could be part of a world wide botnet and you wouldn't even be aware of it because you have no anti-virus running.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/f_doh.gif

Since you're already running Windows Defender I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. But it doesn't really matter which one you use.

Forgot to say i have security essentials,ooops!

Metalattakk
14-Dec-10, 14:53
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/facepalm-1.jpg

:D

upolian
14-Dec-10, 17:18
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z55/Metalattakk/facepalm-1.jpg

:D

I know i know [lol]

Cattach
15-Dec-10, 15:20

Superb anti-virus. Nothing gets through. Used it for years and now I use the paid for version. The 'trojan' in the tune up is not actually a 'trojan' but seen as such by some other malware programs.