PDA

View Full Version : Question ?

Tugmistress
12-Dec-10, 22:35
My better half has been told there is an old WWII plane crashed up near Loch More and some of it is still visible above the surface, we've been searching the internet but can't find anything about this, is it true and if so has anyone any coordinates for it please?

Scunner
12-Dec-10, 22:42
in one of the books published by the Groat, at Christmas, there is a photo with a gentleman with part of the engine - will look through them sometime to see if I can find it

Dadie
12-Dec-10, 22:50
Think it was the one we had a walk out to with the Boys Brigade years ago.
Either that or is there one near the causiemire?....could be the same?
I will ask Dad when he gets home...they are somewhere hotter than here at the moment!
He will either know the co-ordinates or be able to poiint out the rough location.
I rememer there wasnt an awful lot to be seen and it must have been around 10 years ago...it was a not too bad a walk, but, the day was memorable for wrong reasons...one dog was lost in the peatbogs...so if going keep on the leash even if there is no livestock around.

Kodiak
12-Dec-10, 23:14
My better half has been told there is an old WWII plane crashed up near Loch More and some of it is still visible above the surface, we've been searching the internet but can't find anything about this, is it true and if so has anyone any coordinates for it please?

I do not about this one but the was the one that crashed by Dunbeath.

Prince George, Duke of Kent, (1902-1942) was killed in a plane crash during World War II at Eagle's Rock, near Dunbeath, Caithness.
The Sunderland Flying Boat in which he was flying was officially heading to Iceland where the Duke was to meet senior members of the U.S. military.

http://www.ww2inthehighlands.co.uk/folders/crashes/thecrashofsunderlandw4026.htm

rum rat
12-Dec-10, 23:40
I think "tugs" is referring to the B17 Flying Fortress that crashed near Loch Rangag. Its a long walk into the hill. Have a look on "Google Earth".

flash
12-Dec-10, 23:43
Try http://www.scotcrash.homecall.co.uk/med.htm a few other crash sites in the North of Scotland

Garnet
12-Dec-10, 23:45
There may have been one near Altnabreck or possibly the one near the Yarrows about Camster. Hope that helps Tugmistress. G.

rum rat
12-Dec-10, 23:55
If you go into "aircraft crash sites scotland" you will find the co-ordinates for the aircraft you are looking for.

fingalmacool
13-Dec-10, 00:26
There was a jettisoned world war two bomb that became visible I think around the late 70s near the old wooden bridge that led up to Glutt etc, I believe it was a hot summer and loch More had receded a fair bit and the fins became visible, it was soon dispatched by the bomb disposal lads:confused

Rainmaker2
13-Dec-10, 09:46
Well it's a connection of sorts but there is a crash site near Halsary which is a B17 which crashed whilst trying to get back into Wick in the middle of a snowstorm. The connection is that it was on it's way back from a Meteorological Reconnaisance mission. I think it was 519 Sqn that used to fly out of Wick carrying out this vital work. If you look for the Wings Over Wick section on here you can read a bit about the work they used to do.

flash
13-Dec-10, 11:00
There is a memorial to the B17 crew who lost their lives in a layby on the A9 near to Halsary, if I remember correctly the plinth on top also gives directions to the crash site.

theone
13-Dec-10, 12:34
You can see the remains of a WW2 plane half way up the north east side of Ben Loyal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/47/a2844047.shtml

Tugmistress
13-Dec-10, 14:34
Thank you all for the links and replies, this should keep my better half out of mischirf tonight looking through it all :D

MsF
13-Dec-10, 22:46
Hmm, nothing keeps me out of trouble:roll: think it must be the b17 flying fortress that crashed at loch rangag would like to go and see that one day.
thanks for the info folks.

ducati
13-Dec-10, 23:21
Further afield, if you are keen on wreck hunting, there are about 20 within a days walk of each other on the Derbyshire moors over Hayfield/Glossop way. We used to visit when I was in the ATC er blimey 35 years ago. I assume some are still there. Off the top of my head there was a Dakota transport with 2 Landrovers in the back, a B17 (the tail used to stick up 30 ft but it was deemed an eyesore so the army blew it up :eek:) and at least 2 Lancasters. One of the Lancasters was basically a hole in the ground with a miriad of small parts scattered over a very large area.

northener
14-Dec-10, 08:10
Further afield, if you are keen on wreck hunting, there are about 20 within a days walk of each other on the Derbyshire moors over Hayfield/Glossop way. We used to visit when I was in the ATC er blimey 35 years ago. I assume some are still there. Off the top of my head there was a Dakota transport with 2 Landrovers in the back, a B17 (the tail used to stick up 30 ft but it was deemed an eyesore so the army blew it up :eek:) and at least 2 Lancasters. One of the Lancasters was basically a hole in the ground with a miriad of small parts scattered over a very large area.

I used to live near Holmfirth in West Yorks - not a million miles away from Glossop if you go via the Woodhead Pass.

In 1974 our then form teacher became interested in the tales me and my mates told him about the wreck of a B17 on West Nab moor which we used to go up to. So he wrote to the MOD and they sent back a list of OS co-ordinates for all the civil and military wrecks in the area. This became the basis for some really interesting moortop walks for Mr Scholes (our teacher) and us at the weekends.

The site we missed (that I still regret not finding) was the wreck of 3 (IIRC) Polish Hurricanes that crashed on Tintwistle Knarr whilst in low cloud.