PDA

View Full Version : what do you miss from Caithness?

Murchiemannie
15-Aug-06, 04:01
I miss the sea and would you believe it....scorries!
I know they can be a nuisance when they start their curling noise, but when all you see is little blackbirds and crows etc. believe me things are very quiet.
I stay about ten miles from the sea now and often drive to the beach just to sit.Find it so relaxing.

cullbucket
15-Aug-06, 06:02
The Crack.

Ricco
15-Aug-06, 08:05
The beautiful countryside and the people.

Fluff
15-Aug-06, 09:26
Red puddings and strathclyde flavoured water from the co-op.
i miss the weather sometimes too

golach
15-Aug-06, 09:49
My Grannies homemade oatcakes and crowdie, and her scones of course, not so fond of her cods head soup

oldmarine
15-Aug-06, 11:09
All the friends I made while at Thurso NavComsta and while visiting friends with my family while on holiday.

Sporran
15-Aug-06, 11:35
I miss the wide open spaces, the sea and the spectacular coastline. I miss the view I had of Thurso Bay, Holborn Head, the Orkneys and Dunnet Head. I miss the clean, fresh air - even a Caithness gale at times! And last, but by no means least, I miss the people.

Naefearjustbeer
15-Aug-06, 12:19
Every time I go away anywhere I miss the peace and quiet of Caithness. I cannot remember the last time I was able to get a nights sleep when south. Even a car passing every now and then keeps me awake. Can you imagine How little sleep I got once when I stayed in a flat opposite a fire station on kings street in aberdeen. [evil]

Lolabelle
15-Aug-06, 12:54
I MISSed the fact that no-one ever spoke gaelic there. And it is a nuisance. Couldn't you just start, for me? Please? Ok, it was worth a try!

DrSzin
15-Aug-06, 13:16
I MISSed the fact that no-one ever spoke gaelic there. And it is a nuisance. Couldn't you just start, for me? Please? Ok, it was worth a try!Lol lolabelle - nice try. :)

What do I still miss after all these years? I miss going down the street and knowing everyone I encounter. One thing I hated when I moved to Edinburgh as a student was walking past people on Princes Street and simply ignoring them. In Thurso, I used to say hello (or similar) to everyone I walked past on Princes St.

Sporran
15-Aug-06, 17:47
What do I still miss after all these years? I miss going down the street and knowing everyone I encounter. One thing I hated when I moved to Edinburgh as a student was walking past people on Princes Street and simply ignoring them. In Thurso, I used to say hello (or similar) to everyone I walked past on Princes St.

Yes, I miss that aspect as well.

Sandra_B
15-Aug-06, 18:18
Being near the sea, fresh air, peace and quiet, the rum truffles from Johnstones bakery, Gala week, getting the messages delivered to the house, the smell.

DrSzin
15-Aug-06, 18:56
getting the messages delivered to the houseDo the supermarkets not do that in your neck of the continent?

For future use: :)

Tesco & ASDA both have internet shopping services, and they'll both deliver to the kitchen. I find Tesco's service to be a bit better than ASDA's, but this may vary from place to place. It was a shambles when it started up, and we barely used it for years, but it's very good now.

the rum truffles from Johnstones bakery I miss Johnston's pies. I almost lived on the things for most of the last summer I worked in Thurso.

paris
15-Aug-06, 18:58
The sea, the forest, the wide open space, the close community, well EVERYTHING, but most of all our friends.

cuddlepop
15-Aug-06, 20:58
Peace perfect peace.:D

Fluff
15-Aug-06, 21:32
I miss Johnston's pies. I almost lived on the things for most of the last summer I worked in Thurso.

ooh i had a real urge for a johnsons pie the other day! You just cannot get a decent pie down here!

S.Matheson
16-Aug-06, 10:29
Missing the quiet roads and the talent fae up there.
Where you stay now ?

I miss the sea and would you believe it....scorries!
I know they can be a nuisance when they start their curling noise, but when all you see is little blackbirds and crows etc. believe me things are very quiet.
I stay about ten miles from the sea now and often drive to the beach just to sit.Find it so relaxing.

Errogie
16-Aug-06, 18:08
Miss the sound of Holborn Head foghorn and the smell of burning peat.