PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Murchiemannie
15-Aug-06, 03:42
Hi! there .orgers,
just wondering how many of you are in the same boat as myself....can't sleep!
Do all the usual things...milky drink, watch telly, catch up on my favourite book of the moment, do a bit of thinking (best thoughts at this time of the morning) and last but not least...onto the old PC for a bit of surfing.
Sad .......that's what I am!

Lolabelle
15-Aug-06, 03:48
One things for sure, I am always floating around in the middle of your night. I am usually here by myself.

Murchiemannie
15-Aug-06, 03:51
Glad to keep you company for a wee while tonight Loabelle.

Lolabelle
15-Aug-06, 03:57
are you reading anything good at the moment?
I am reading the Da Vinci Code. Not sure how I feel about it, it's a good read though. I am also avoiding doing my bookkeeping. I have purchases to enter and cheques to write.;)

rockchick
15-Aug-06, 07:07
I'm the queen of insomnia. Eight hours of sleep is a luxury I rarely manage - I'm usually up at 3 am.

However, I've learned a few tricks for when I really need to get some zzzz's:

1. When you first wake up, try to relax and wriggle your toes. It sounds daft, but if you can catch that last bit of sleepiness, it can send you back under.
2. If you do wake up all the way, get out of bed - don't just toss and turn.
3. Read something that requires thought and concentration - not just surf the web. I've found Open University textbooks are brilliant for this.
4. Warm bath (with bubbles, of course!)
5. If something's stressing me out, then if I write it down, sometimes that's enough to get it out of my head so I can get back to sleep.

Never had much luck with the warm milky drink, but have heard from others that this works too.

badger
15-Aug-06, 09:34
My mother always said milk wasn't good at night - requires subsequent visits to smallest room :~( Funnily enough I find tea (with milk) in bed works well but not if drunk an hour or so earlier - don't ask me why, makes no sense but there it is. TV is disastrous, guaranteed to wake you up if at all interesting. Radio 4 on Sleep is better so long as it's quiet enough not to wake you up again. Lots of fresh air and exercise earlier in the day so you're physically tired (oh dear, back to lawn mowing again).

katarina
15-Aug-06, 10:19
I have dreadful trouble sleeping even when I'm dead beat. too tired to read or get up and make that cuppa - but still sleep evades me. i wouldn't mind if I didn't need it, but next day I'm drained.

Bobinovich
15-Aug-06, 16:16
Had just such a night last night - typical with the kids just going back to school today too!

Woke up at about 3am with an idea for a design job I've got to do - lay there mulling over various possibilities for over an hour before I decided enough was enough.

Couldn't get back to sleep so turned to my usual snooze-system - Teletext. Read all the usual pages and then felt the eyes drooping so turned the box off and drifted off to nod.

10 minutes later Mrs Bob jumped up scaring the bejesus out of me, muttered something about the kids being OK, and instantly zonked again, leaving me once again wide awake.

*Sigh*

I think it was about 5.30am I eventually got to sleep!

sweetpea
15-Aug-06, 16:52
I feel for all you insomniacs really do. My other half is a bit inclined to be up and down all night. I'm exact opposite and have been since I was born so mum says (had to wake me to feed me etc) . I could sleep on the edge of a knife, 12 hour shifts in my bed or longer! I think it's a bit like being a lark or an owl too either you have trouble getting up or come alive at night. My problem is waking up some mornings. I have never responded to alarms, just don't hear them and been know to sleep through fire engines at a neighbours, phones going, everything.
I don't know if they are effective but there's a lot of herbal things to try these days, pills, microwave pillows and such like.

Liz
15-Aug-06, 17:54
I have problems getting to sleep as well but have found a herbal product called Great Night Sleep is brilliant.

Also try lavender oil on your pillow and/or in your bath before bedtime.

You should avoid all caffeine after about 6 o'clock (this includes Coke drinks) and go for a nice brisk walk in the fresh air a while before bedtime.

Watching TV in your bedroom isn't a good idea either. A good book is much better but nothing too 'thought provoking'.

Night night!:D

Billy Boy
15-Aug-06, 18:23
Mr Billy Boy is a complete isomniac, ( not to mention a pain in the butt) he is up all hours of the night rattling about makeing enough noise to wake the dead.

more so annoying as i can sleep, but he keeps wakening me up.
i have tried everything with him from banning caffine, hot milky drinks, no t.v.
hot baths, etc, even tried amethyst crystals in his pillow, nothing works.
not even sleeping pills.
aaaww well guess the very last resort will be his and hers house's or divorce.???;) :lol:

any suggestions grearfully recieved.

Murchiemannie
15-Aug-06, 18:46
finished up with about 4 hours kip last night. Eventually gought to bed about 5am, so "wasted" that I've had an hour's sleep this afternoon as I had a splitting headache. On top of the world now and ready for tonights prowl!!
Have just finished reading The Da Vinci Code. I thought it was v-good.Took it to Spain with me and couldn't put it down...lying at the pool for three days reading. Good story line.
Roll on the wee sma' hours so I can start all over again!!
Sleep....what's that?

Kingetter
15-Aug-06, 18:50
I can't sleep for worrying. "Worrying about what?" you may ask. Insommnia.

willowbankbear
15-Aug-06, 18:51
Hi! there .orgers,
just wondering how many of you are in the same boat as myself....can't sleep!
Do all the usual things...milky drink, watch telly, catch up on my favourite book of the moment, do a bit of thinking (best thoughts at this time of the morning) and last but not least...onto the old PC for a bit of surfing.
Sad .......that's what I am!

Read some of the posts on this board murchiemannie & ye should sleep no probs.[lol]