PDA

View Full Version : Time to make a change

Lolabelle
15-Aug-06, 03:32
:( Ok, it seems that I need to make some major decisions here;

¨ Do I change my descriptive tag for my nasty character and find something more suitable to the area?

¨ Do I move my story out of the Caithness area to a location that fits into my idea for the story?

¨ Do I dump the whole thing, and write a story set in Australia so that I don’t have this dilemma again?

¨ Do I shelve the novel until such time as I can visit the area and do the needed research on the spot?

I obviously have to do a bit of thinking and then get on with it ploughing through the hiccups or quit while I’m ahead.

If I shelve the idea, can I still visit you all here? Or will I be in disgrace?

Lola :confused

canuck
15-Aug-06, 05:07
:( Ok, it seems that I need to make some major decisions here; ...

Disgrace is not a word that enters the vocabulary of the org user. Even the visitors to org jail are never disgraced.

sam
15-Aug-06, 07:29
:( Ok, it seems that I need to make some major decisions here;

¨ Do I change my descriptive tag for my nasty character and find something more suitable to the area?

¨ Do I move my story out of the Caithness area to a location that fits into my idea for the story?

¨ Do I dump the whole thing, and write a story set in Australia so that I don’t have this dilemma again?

¨ Do I shelve the novel until such time as I can visit the area and do the needed research on the spot?

I obviously have to do a bit of thinking and then get on with it ploughing through the hiccups or quit while I’m ahead.

see the obstacles as a challenge and find ways to overcome them.i'm sure all the orgers will give you any help they can.

Kingetter
15-Aug-06, 08:31
see the obstacles as a challenge and find ways to overcome them.i'm sure all the orgers will give you any help they can.

Lolabelle, that makes all the sense you need. Yes, changes will be needed, but hey! That's what writing's all about - until the work is signed, sealed and delivered. Write the piece, then edit, edit, edit, until you have it fine-tuned.

Just reflect for a bit. You have ideas in your mind that we can't realistically know, so we can't visualise 'the plot'. So, how do we alter that? One solution is for you to do a preview and outline your story - we might have a better understanding and therefore be more able to help you. Right now, its a bit like you telling us you are going to put new curtains up - 'will that colour work?', without telling us what colour they are and what colour scheme exists in the room. Make no mistake, folk here are willing to help.

katarina
15-Aug-06, 08:54
Why don't you post the first chapter on the org then we can all comment on the contents? If you don't want to do that I would be happy to read a section privately. But please continue to set it in Caithness - we over here would be honoured. (i think)

Lolabelle
15-Aug-06, 08:58
Lolabelle, that makes all the sense you need. Yes, changes will be needed, but hey! That's what writing's all about - until the work is signed, sealed and delivered. Write the piece, then edit, edit, edit, until you have it fine-tuned.

Just reflect for a bit. You have ideas in your mind that we can't realistically know, so we can't visualise 'the plot'. So, how do we alter that? One solution is for you to do a preview and outline your story - we might have a better understanding and therefore be more able to help you. Right now, its a bit like you telling us you are going to put new curtains up - 'will that colour work?', without telling us what colour they are and what colour scheme exists in the room. Make no mistake, folk here are willing to help.
Ok, thanks for that. I don't want to leave the area and I don't want to change the plot. I like it. Unfortunately I am not sure if I can blend the two. But i would definately like to.
I will do a plot summary and post it. One problem, the biggy, is that I don't know what works and what doesn't. My story, is written from the veiwpoint of a 14year old boy whose family have temporarily moved there, so as you will understand it will have an australian veiw of what scotland and caithness is like. I have thought of making up a town and being vague about it's whereabouts. Not sure if this will work. I have done a lot of work and don't want to waste it. I especially don't want to waste the work that the orgers have helped me with and supplied.
I'm still thinking.

Kingetter
15-Aug-06, 09:06
" I have done a lot of work and don't want to waste it. I especially don't want to waste the work that the orgers have helped me with and supplied."

No writing is a waste - unless you've learned nothing from it. You need to continue. A synopsis would be a good idea.